Menu

Would you go? (Yes, CV19 and library related)

barnwife

Our library is slowly opening back up. They are going to start some in-person browsing. The limit will be 6 patrons at a time. Masks are required. If you could manage to get there early on Monday morning (it won't be open on weekends, yet), would you go?

I'm considering it. I mean, 4 kids plus me would mean only 1 other person would be inside in addition to staff. And if we'd go Monday morning, theoretically germs in the air would be much less, having had the weekend to die/disperse.

So, would you at 8 months pregnant take 4 kids 10 and under into a library under such conditions? If it matters, our county is about as far from a hot spot as you can get. I think we are still under 100 cases for this whole pandemic, many of which are considered recovered. 

I guess it depends on how bad I wanted to do that. Our library is curbside only right now and it has been fine. I just browse online and put the books on hold. Having books at home is very important to me, so if going in was the only way to get them, I would make that a higher priority than doing other things. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Because you would be 5 of only 6 allowed, no I wouldn’t.   Presuming that you have curbside available, I would leave the in person browsing to others who wouldn’t take up so many slots.   

If the limits weren’t so restrictive, I would have no problem taking my kids into a library during the day....it is already really not busy during the day here anyway.  

I wouldn’t take them, either, but I don’t think I would take the kids to the library under any circumstances right now, because that’s a lot of potential risk of exposure. 

I like your idea of using curbside. It’s not as much fun as browsing around in the library, but it’s better than nothing! 

15 minutes ago, lovinmyboys said:

I guess it depends on how bad I wanted to do that. Our library is curbside only right now and it has been fine. I just browse online and put the books on hold. Having books at home is very important to me, so if going in was the only way to get them, I would make that a higher priority than doing other things. 

I agree. But if I had to go inside the building, I would go by myself and leave the kids at home, to minimize the risks — but I don’t think it’s a good idea right now because you’re pregnant.

(I, personally, wouldn’t go at all, but we have much higher risk than the average family, and I realize that our level of strictness isn’t really necessary for everyone else.)

Edited by Catwoman

Yes, I would go.  I don't think the library with 6 total people browsing and a few workers is a high risk, specifically if everyone is masked and socially distancing.  I can't wait until our library opens up again.  I hate the curbside pick up because they only pull 5 books at a time and we usually take at least 100 books out at a time. WE can have more than 5 out at a time but they set up a pick up time every 5 books and there is no knowing when they'll pull the next 5 books on your list. So, it is very restrictive 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Because you would be 5 of only 6 allowed, no I wouldn’t.   Presuming that you have curbside available, I would leave the in person browsing to others who wouldn’t take up so many slots.   

If the limits weren’t so restrictive, I would have no problem taking my kids into a library during the day....it is already really not busy during the day here anyway.  

I guess it would depend on the library....is it hard time get a slot to visit or are there lots of open slots??  I would call and ask.

I would. I think the likelihood of contact transmission is low any where. These are the same books they would be putting in your car for curbside, so the only additional contact would be surfaces and additional books inside the building. Make sure everybody wears a mask and uses hand sanitizer on the way out. I would go early in the morning and be prepared to wait if two people get there before you. I would time limit my group to 20ish minutes. I wouldn't go every week.

• Like 1

I would go .... in fact we just started going, every Monday morning within the first hour of them being open (and similarly ours is closed on Sunday). The kids have to generate a list At home of what  books they want and the call numbers, so there’s no using the computer at the library. They can browse for a few minutes too. But no extraneous time spent in the library. We are in and out in 15-30 minutes.   

I think the kids appreciate the anticipation, the routine, and the normalcy of weekly visits  Additionally, in a time when so much has been taken away from them, it’s a way for them to have a bit of control and freedom when they choose and browse books for themselves. 

Yes, there is risk, but it’s about as small as I can get it ... Everyone in the building is masked, physical barriers are between us and the circulation librarian, duration is short, small number of patrons that we could run into (and if we stay in the kids department, we have yet to see anyone - including the librarian!), hands are sanitized ASAP, and we aren’t in a hotspot.   

so - I vote go!  I think the rewards (joy and books) outweigh the risk, which is being mitigated. 

ETA:  you might check to see what your library’s book-quarantining policy is. Ours lets the returned books sit in the book drop for 3 days before anyone touches it. So I feel comfortable with the kids pulling them off the shelf and reading it on the way home. (But I also believe contact transmission Is not as big of a deal as once thought). 

Edited by domestic_engineer

I would go. My oldest works in a library just like you described, only 6 people in at one time, in a county with very low incidence of corona.  they have a "quarantine" time and cleaning protocols about books that are returned before they are shelved. The same If you or your child pulls a book off the shelf and you don't check it out, it goes into "quarentine" for some specified time and cleaned before it is re-shelved. There are very strict cleaning protocols in place, like cleaning the bathroom every single time someone goes in there, as well as mandatory masking. I am pretty sure our little rural library is the safest place to be in public and is for sure cleaner than my house!

eta: Feel free to call them and ask their cleaning protocols. Patrons call my son's library all the time to see how many people came in that day (they keep a patron count), how many people are there right now, what the cleaning protocols are like, etc. They most often field the "how many people are there right now?" question like 10 times a day. They also reserve the first hour of everyday for high risk patrons, and son said you being pregnant would "count" at their library.

Edited by saraha
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, saraha said:

I would go. My oldest works in a library just like you described, only 6 people in at one time, in a county with very low incidence of corona.  they have a "quarantine" time and cleaning protocols about books that are returned before they are shelved. The same If you or your child pulls a book off the shelf and you don't check it out, it goes into "quarentine" for some specified time and cleaned before it is re-shelved. There are very strict cleaning protocols in place, like cleaning the bathroom every single time someone goes in there, as well as mandatory masking. I am pretty sure our little rural library is the safest place to be in public and is for sure cleaner than my house!

eta: Feel free to call them and ask their cleaning protocols. Patrons call my son's library all the time to see how many people came in that day (they keep a patron count), how many people are there right now, what the cleaning protocols are like, etc. They most often field the "how many people are there right now?" question like 10 times a day. They also reserve the first hour of everyday for high risk patrons, and son said you being pregnant would "count" at their library.

I’m not trying to derail the thread, but I’m wondering if you know what the cleaning procedures are for the books. I order a lot of books online and if there is a better way to clean them than my method of quarantining and Clorox Wipes, I’d love to know what it is! Â đŸ™‚Â 

I am not personally going to the library. In your case I would not take the risk. Being pregnant puts you at higher risk of severe disease. There have been fatalities in otherwise healthy pregnant women. Also if you were to test positive when the baby is born you run the risk of having to quarantine and be separated from your newborn. So for me a trip to the library just wouldn't be worth it.

Susan in TX

• Like 1

Yeah, me being pregnant is one of my main concerns. I feel like if I wasn't, this would be a pretty low-risk situation. But...baby. We are planning a homebirth, so hopefully I/we don't need to worry about hospital rules.

@Catwoman Derail this thread as much as you want. That generally doesn't bother me, as I tend to think of threads as conversation taking place online. And, goodness knows, conversations can certainly veer from one thing to the next! Also, boy you are really disinfecting those books. I confess that, cautious as I think we are, we do nothing to the library books.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, barnwife said:

Yeah, me being pregnant is one of my main concerns. I feel like if I wasn't, this would be a pretty low-risk situation. But...baby. We are planning a homebirth, so hopefully I/we don't need to worry about hospital rules.

@Catwoman Derail this thread as much as you want. That generally doesn't bother me, as I tend to think of threads as conversation taking place online. And, goodness knows, conversations can certainly veer from one thing to the next! Also, boy you are really disinfecting those books. I confess that, cautious as I think we are, we do nothing to the library books.

You probably don’t need to do anything to the library books! đŸ™‚Â 

My dh is high risk to the point where his doctors have warned him that he might very well die if he contracts the virus, so I am Crazy Lunatic Paranoid Level when it comes to any kind of possible exposure, even if the actual risk is pretty minimal. I just don’t feel like I can take any chances at all, and something like cleaning and disinfecting packages and books is actually an easy thing to do. I mean, it’s a nuisance, but it’s a small price to pay for feeling safe. 

• Like 2

Depends on what you intend to accomplish.  If it's something you could accomplish without going to the library, I'd stay out.

That said ... I thought pregnancy was a risk-lowering factor.  I don't think being pregnant would be my reason not to go.  It's just that I'm avoiding a lot of things that aren't necessary - not to protect my family, but to protect others.  I assume a lot of elderly people use the library, so I would stay out of it for now.  Again, unless there was something there that I really wanted and couldn't get another way, and then I'd just go by myself, quick in & out.

My library reopened with similar protections in place. DD and I have been going with a list of books we want. We take a few minutes to browse, but are mostly in and out quickly. In your situation, being pregnant and with a bunch of little kids, I might continue to use curbside pickup or I'd find a way to go by myself and only stay a short time.

Not unless you are feeling desperate for library books and have no other way to get them.

The risk does not seem high, but neither does the upside benefit.

And if curbside, online, or having just one (ideally perhaps someonenon pregnant) family member go in as briefly as possible can be done — all can achieve getting books with lower risk. 

Although risk is probably quite low, if something happened to you or baby the difficulties, emotionally and practically, for your family could be enormous.   

Edited by Pen

It would be a hard no from me, but, I will admit that going the library with 4 young kids while 8 months pregnant does not entice me at all, lol. 

14 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I’m not trying to derail the thread, but I’m wondering if you know what the cleaning procedures are for the books. I order a lot of books online and if there is a better way to clean them than my method of quarantining and Clorox Wipes, I’d love to know what it is! Â đŸ™‚Â 

Time is most important. I agree with Web MD and other sources that the virus isn't likely to survive the amount of time it takes to be shipped (especially adding in hot trucks). Even with 2-day shipping, letting it sit another couple of days on arrival gets you to the outside boundaries of it living on paper. 

5 minutes ago, SKL said:

That said ... I thought pregnancy was a risk-lowering factor.  I don't think being pregnant would be my reason not to go. 

You are at higher risk if you get covid while pregnant. 

Why Pregnant Women Face Special Risks

Pregnant Women More Likely to Develop Respiratory Issues, Need ICU, Need Ventilators

• Like 2

Not a hot spot, only a few people, wear a mask, on a monday morning so has been empty for days? Yes, but only if I could leave kids at home. I don't trust little kids not to touch something germy and then rub their eyes/nose/etc before I can stop them. Or need a potty break and touch something in the bathroom and then do the same. 

Now, this is my policy after my 2 year old touched the toilet seat at a public restroom, and when I told her "do NOT touch your face until we wash hands" she smiled and put her fingers IN my mouth. 

So yeah, I don't trust littles and germs, lol. 

36 minutes ago, katilac said:

It would be a hard no from me, but, I will admit that going the library with 4 young kids while 8 months pregnant does not entice me at all, lol. 

Time is most important. I agree with Web MD and other sources that the virus isn't likely to survive the amount of time it takes to be shipped (especially adding in hot trucks). Even with 2-day shipping, letting it sit another couple of days on arrival gets you to the outside boundaries of it living on paper. 

You are at higher risk if you get covid while pregnant. 

Why Pregnant Women Face Special Risks

Pregnant Women More Likely to Develop Respiratory Issues, Need ICU, Need Ventilators

35 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Our library has dedicated a few study rooms for dumping - literally - each day’s carts of returns. You should see the piles on these floors! They sit for >72 hours before being handled. AFAIK there are no other extraordinary cleaning procedures taking place. Perhaps the librarians use gloves when loading them all up on carts to be reshelved, perhaps they fumigate the rooms, I don’t know, I’ve not been around to witness it. I believe they just rely on the research that shows the virus cannot live beyond a certain time on paper and fabric and count it as desiccated and harmless. 

OP, I feel your desire to get out to favorite places. I’m craving the gym, the library, my favorite coffee shop, and there’s always a thought running in the back of my mind that maybe those places would be ok. But then reason brings me back into focus. So far I’ve been using curbside return, occasionally a curbside pickup, and about every other week a quick run inside my little nearest library straight to my items on the hold shelf, straight to checkout. I can do this in 5 minutes tops. 

I would not bring my children in, and would not bring myself if pregnant. It’s sad, but safe to stick with online ordering and curbside pickup. 

My logical brain tells me not to worry, but my crazy disinfecting lunatic brain keeps winning out. đŸ˜‰Â 

1 minute ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

I would go.  Oh how I wish our library would open.  They are doing pick up but it is a mess and I won't use it again.  Once they are open though, I will happily go and be in heaven.  Until then, I am spending a whole lot more money than I usually would on buying books (used if possible).

I am sorry your library pickup is a mess. Ours has been smooth sailing. Heck, the librarians know I am pregnant, so they put our boxes (yes, boxes...we check out a lot) straight into our trunk. Technically, there is a table they can put them on next to the curb. But they have just been putting them straight into our car, even though I've told them that the kids might as well carry them from the table to car. 

It seems most are in line with my brain (continuing curbside). It does make my heart (and my kids) sad though. 

I consider myself on the more careful end of things and I would go. I mean, I'm going to stores as needed. I'd go to the library, especially if they were limiting patrons and requiring masks.

Now, whether I'd go if I were pregnant... I'm less sure. I have read some scary things... but I'm also not pregnant and am not of an age where I have many pregnant friends at the moment, so I haven't been keeping up with those specific risks. But that would be part of my calculations.

I would not take the kids. I'd browse on their behalf. Or maybe I'd take a single kid. Maybe.

Yes, I would go. I’d limit the time I was there simply because I wouldn’t want to make other people wait. But the risk of contracting COVID doesn’t sound high in this case. And I think the library is important. đŸ™‚

Edited by Hyacinth
  • Like 1

Until you said you were pregnant I was going to tell you to go.  I’d talk to your OB to see what they think. They are in your area and have a handle on how and where people are getting sick in your area. 

I am very comfortable going to my library and taking my kids. All staff and patrons are masked and the counter has nice plexiglass barriers. They are disinfecting. It isn’t busy at all like it used to be. All the chairs have been removed to discourage hanging out. Books are quarantined for a minimum for 3 days although the librarian told me it has frequently been 5 days or more.  We are more intentional on our visits than we used to be. We have an idea of what we want and don’t spend an hour just browsing. 

My county under 100 cases too and fewer than 10% of those have been hospitalized. Our health department has been posting the new case numbers daily along with who has recovered. 

The pregnancy thing would give me pause. I am not in that stage of life, so I haven't been following the science regarding pregnancy and Covid very closely.

Without that as a factor, I would say to go, but leave the kids at home. I have four kids close in age, and I would not have been able to watch what they were doing plus pick out my own materials, when they were that age. If I had to take a child with me, I know they would be touching things, and I wouldn't be able to track what each of them was doing well enough to feel comfortable with it.

I've been going to our library about once a week. It's very quiet in there, with hardly anyone else around. Masks are required, and I can check out my own materials, so I don't come in close contact with anyone. I use sanitizer as I leave my car, after I'm in the building (because of touching the door handles), and also after I am back at the car. We leave the books and/or DVDs in the tote bag for at least 24 hours and often more, before we use them at home.

Because you are pregnant and accompanied by young children, I would suggest ordering what you want and picking it up curbside, instead.

8 hours ago, barnwife said:

Our library is slowly opening back up. They are going to start some in-person browsing. The limit will be 6 patrons at a time. Masks are required. If you could manage to get there early on Monday morning (it won't be open on weekends, yet), would you go?

I'm considering it. I mean, 4 kids plus me would mean only 1 other person would be inside in addition to staff. And if we'd go Monday morning, theoretically germs in the air would be much less, having had the weekend to die/disperse.

So, would you at 8 months pregnant take 4 kids 10 and under into a library under such conditions? If it matters, our county is about as far from a hot spot as you can get. I think we are still under 100 cases for this whole pandemic, many of which are considered recovered. 

Yes.

Our library has been open for months, and I see no issue.

• Like 1

I would go as an adult.  I would not take children with me.  I would not want to take up essentially all the slots for that time period.

This. If the limit was higher (our library's limit is 50 patrons) I would not hesitate to bring 4 dc with me. But with a limit of only 6 I would not take my dc. But I live where there is a very high library use rate and the wait list to get in would be miles long if only 6 patrons were admitted at a time.

On 8/24/2020 at 5:00 PM, Catwoman said:

Any book that has been touched (returned, pulled off the shelf and looked at, comes in from interlibrary loan) goes to "quarantine" for three days, then the covers are wiped down with antibacterial wipes. The head librarian said they don't do anything to the pages because it can ruin the books, hence the quarantine. Board books (with plastic or cardboard pages) get wiped down entirely.

So pretty much what you are already doing, you are adding an extra layer of protection đŸ™‚

Oh, and they wear gloves when packing the bags of people who are just picking up curbside

ETA: They want kids to come! People have been leaving their kids home, so as to not take up spots, but they genuinely want kids to come, they say they are the most important spots! Love my librarians! And most library users understand that kids and books are super important and are willing to wait a few minutes.

Edited by saraha
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 5:17 PM, Jean in Newcastle said:

I would go as an adult.  I would not take children with me.  I would not want to take up essentially all the slots for that time period.  And the browsing habits of young children aren't as safe/ hygienic as that of an adult.

My son's library is trying to encourage people to bring their children, their attitude is that they are the most deserving of a spot!

I wouldn't but not because I think it's very risky but because their would be little upside for us.  My kids and I are all able to borrow on Libby and read digital books or order the books and do curbside pickup.  So we will continue to do that and save our covid risk for other things. 

29 minutes ago, saraha said:

Any book that has been touched (returned, pulled off the shelf and looked at, comes in from interlibrary loan) goes to "quarantine" for three days, then the covers are wiped down with antibacterial wipes. The head librarian said they don't do anything to the pages because it can ruin the books, hence the quarantine. Board books (with plastic or cardboard pages) get wiped down entirely.

So pretty much what you are already doing, you are adding an extra layer of protection đŸ™‚

Oh, and they wear gloves when packing the bags of people who are just picking up curbside

ETA: They want kids to come! People have been leaving their kids home, so as to not take up spots, but they genuinely want kids to come, they say they are the most important spots! Love my librarians! And most library users understand that kids and books are super important and are willing to wait a few minutes.

Thank you!!! 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 5:28 PM, Seasider too said:

So far I’ve been using curbside return, occasionally a curbside pickup, and about every other week a quick run inside my little nearest library straight to my items on the hold shelf, straight to checkout. I can do this in 5 minutes tops. 

I would not bring my children in, and would not bring myself if pregnant. It’s sad, but safe to stick with online ordering and curbside pickup. 

This is what I just did the other day, and I plan on doing just once a month.  I'm not pregnant though, and if I were I would ask them to bring the books outside. (Our library is offering this for high risk, and I would assume that they would extend the courtesy to pregnant women.)

I've returned to the library. It is our weekly "splurge" on Covid exposure. I, my two teenagers currently at home, and my brother go in with our respective lists. We also use the hold function extensively, but browsing is too hard not to do. We are out in 10-15 minutes maximum, usually more like 5-10 minutes. There is no limit on the number of people in our library.

I would not go inside in your case because even though it is probably about as low risk as you can get, 1) you're pregnant, 2) have 4 young children, 3) you'd leave only one slot open for someone else.

My first reaction was to agree that the kids should not go, but if the library is encouraging kids, then I'd take them. Not being pregnant or potentially pregnant myself, I would not be able to comment on the risks associated with that aspect. 

I can't wait till my library reopens. My own branch was getting ready to move into a new building in May. That has been delayed and I don't know when it will open. Other libraries in our coutny system are opening for short browsing visits, and for hold pickup, but I want to go to my new library.  But I would be going alone anyway.

I do worry that young kids will forget about real books, how to use the library, etc. Already there are plenty of people who believe libraries are obsolete so I would do as much as possible to support it. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, marbel said:

My first reaction was to agree that the kids should not go, but if the library is encouraging kids, then I'd take them. Not being pregnant or potentially pregnant myself, I would not be able to comment on the risks associated with that aspect. 

I can't wait till my library reopens. My own branch was getting ready to move into a new building in May. That has been delayed and I don't know when it will open. Other libraries in our coutny system are opening for short browsing visits, and for hold pickup, but I want to go to my new library.  But I would be going alone anyway.

I do worry that young kids will forget about real books, how to use the library, etc. Already there are plenty of people who believe libraries are obsolete so I would do as much as possible to support it. 

The person saying that their library is encouraging kids was not the OP but someone else.  As far as I know, the OP has not addressed this about their library specifically.  I still would not take young kids.  I would take middle school kids and up.  The reason is because my little ones anyway needed a lot of supervision in order to keep hands to themselves and because it would be a lot easier to go in and out with adults or older kids and adults.  But Your Library Mileage May Vary (YLMMV)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, marbel said:

It could just as well be used to make library going an extremely special event after the baby is born!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

The person saying that their library is encouraging kids was not the OP but someone else.  As far as I know, the OP has not addressed this about their library specifically.  I still would not take young kids.  I would take middle school kids and up.  The reason is because my little ones anyway needed a lot of supervision in order to keep hands to themselves and because it would be a lot easier to go in and out with adults or older kids and adults.  But Your Library Mileage May Vary (YLMMV)

OK, sorry I missed that. So if the OP's library hasn't said they want kids, then she might not want to take her kids. I am a firm believer in not taking kids where they are not wanted, and in being mindful of one's own kids and how they will behave. I have one who was a terror in the library, and one who seemed to instinctively know how to behave in all "public" situations so I'm pretty clued on on library mileage variances with young children.

At our library it is 6 card holders and they ask to keep browsing to no more than 15 minutes.  If you do not have a card, then you are not allowed in.  One may apply online though.  Because all my kids(3) and I have our own library card, I will take all of us.  My children have just as much desire to browse and pick out their own books as I do.    They are upper elementary though and will browse in their area while I am browsing elsewhere.  I do time our visit to be at a nonbusy time.  Often we are the only ones in the library.

• Like 1

Heart's description, above, is exactly why I would not take young children with me. I wouldn't be able to make sure my four kids were not touching and were following the guidelines, while I did my own browsing. OP, if your kids are really good at following rules, and if you can easily watch all of them to make sure that they do so, then my advice to leave them home might be different.

• Like 2

I'm so jealous of all those with open libraries. Mine isn't and hasn't been since March.  They are now allowing book check-outs, but you have to phone it in. And I hate talking in the phone...so I haven't bothered. (I suppose we're fine chugging along with ebooks and rereading our books at home.)

• Like 1

OP here...oh, my library would love kids to come in. Also, as for taking up too many spots at once...we are a rural area/small town library. That just wouldn't cross my mind at all. I mean, why should only adults be able to browse? Isn't it kind of like swings at the park? First come, first serve? We wouldn't go everyday or anything, but the idea of taking up spots is just...foreign to me.

I will admit though, that partly that might be because one of our librarians once made a comment about how our family is "too large." (This happened pre-pandemic.) We randomly went to the library. No one else was in the children's section. My kids asked to use the computers. I *gasp* said yes. And apparently said librarian felt we were taking up too many computer spots and made a comment. (LOL, because we "only" had 3 kids then...2 of which were using computers. Wonder how she's feels about the imminent arrival of #5.) This pushed me into "libraries are first come, first serve" things. 

Also, they won't be having people sign up for slots. It will just be show up and wait if there's already 6 people. 

At this point, I think we will be skipping it due to me being pregnant. It'd be easier to swallow if this kid would just be born already! For then I'd be too distracted to care.

• Like 3

Also, they won't be having people sign up for slots. It will just be show up and wait if there's already 6 people. 

Could mean you would have to be really first there not to potentially have, say, 3 of you being allowed to go in but other 2 still having to wait outside?    Though perhaps oldest kids could be okay in library while you waited outside with younger ones. 

At this point, I think we will be skipping it due to me being pregnant.

Sounds safest —maybe  u can build it up for a special after the new baby event to look forward to. 

It'd be easier to swallow if this kid would just be born already! For then I'd be too distracted to care.

đŸ˜†Â