Menu

Recommendations for hair clippers please

mlktwins

So...Since March, I have become responsible for cutting DH, 2 sons, and my dad’s hair.  My DH cuts his dad’s hair.  Does anyone have a recommendation for a good clipper set?  We have an old Remington that has plastic guards.  It really hurts one of my sons when I do his thick, wavy hair.  He said his barber used metal guards.  She never hurt him when she did it.

Since we will be doing this for awhile, we are willing to pay more for a good set.  It was about $75 for DH and my boys to get their hair cut so these will pay for themselves with a cut or two.

Plus, I bought a Creaclip sp DH can do my hair 😂😂😂.  He can use scissors, but it will go much faster with a good clipper.

1 minute ago, mathnerd said:

I have had this one for over 10 years. I am not sure if this is better than others in the market, but, it gets the job done. Only thing that I don't like is that it is noisy.

https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Color-Complete-Cutting-79300-400T/dp/B000JNQSIQ

I don't know what model it is, but dd has a Wahl set also and is very pleased with it. It does have plastic guards, but she's had an induction buzz cut with no complaints, lol. 

I'd say it's pretty sturdy, because she's forever cutting her friends' hair with it, and it's several years old. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

I have had this one for over 10 years. I am not sure if this is better than others in the market, but, it gets the job done. Only thing that I don't like is that it is noisy.

This is the set that I have, too.  I like that the guards are different colors.

I've cut ds19's hair with these multiple times, and since covid I have used them to cut dh's hair.

I charge the same amount as the place that they used to go to (plus tip) -- payable in books, please. 😉

• Like 2

I would say do not get these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JH2NVTZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We bought them in April and the first time DH cut DS's hair, the clippers decided to change their own setting and DS ended up with a reverse mohawk down the middle of his head. Then DH had to try to fix it, which ended up basically being a hair disaster. Thankfully, DS's hair grows quickly, but if we end up locked back down I don't think he'll let DH cut his hair again. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My son hates going to the barber. We got him a Flowbee several Christmases ago, it actually works very well and no mess, much easier to cut longer hair with than clippers.

My husband just uses $20 clippers, he cuts it all off every few weeks.

We were prepared for pandemic haircuts!! We've had people half jokingly want to borrow the Flow Bee.

They are out of stock new but there are several on eBay.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

So...Since March, I have become responsible for cutting DH, 2 sons, and my dad’s hair.  My DH cuts his dad’s hair.  Does anyone have a recommendation for a good clipper set?  We have an old Remington that has plastic guards.  It really hurts one of my sons when I do his thick, wavy hair.  He said his barber used metal guards.  She never hurt him when she did it.

Since we will be doing this for awhile, we are willing to pay more for a good set.  It was about $75 for DH and my boys to get their hair cut so these will pay for themselves with a cut or two.

Plus, I bought a Creaclip sp DH can do my hair 😂😂😂.  He can use scissors, but it will go much faster with a good clipper.

Even a good clipper set can start pulling if you don't oil it regularly, you need to use a tiny bit of oil after every cut; good practice whatever you get, applies to Flowbee as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mathnerd said:

We have that same set.  One of my kids cuts their own hair with it and also my dh's hair.  Maybe they have improved it because it doesn't seem noisy to me.  

• Like 2

I've been cutting my dh's hair for 30 years, along with my son's (when he lived at home) and my daughter (who likes short hair). 

I had my Wahl Pro clippers for 15 years, and they still worked, until I dropped them.  (grrr)

I replaced it with this set: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FRGOOWQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I religiously oil them after every use, and they work wonderfully.  Get the Wahl clipper oil. 

I went through several clippers before I got the Wahl, and they were terrible. I especially the Conair being sub-par. It didn't cut well, it was noisy, and it had foam behind the blade that would collect the little bits of cut hair. It was impossible to clean. Skip those.

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ
  • Like 1

OP here.  Thank you all!!!  I will look through your links above.  

Since we have NEVER oiled our clippers 🤦‍♀️😬😋, we will try that too!!!  Never thought that would lead to the pulling either!

Funny tidbit -- we bought the clippers to use on our cats before my boys were even born 😁.  They never seemed to be in pain or dislike it!  I sure hope we didn't hurt them!!!

We love our Wahl clippers. I had stopped cutting hair for a while, but now I'm back to it with COVID. I use the clippers around the back and sides, and then I use scissors to cut the top and blend it in. 

Don't forget a decent cape, decent haircutting scissors (mine are not super fancy but are still great--can't remember where I got them), a fine comb, and a neck brush, lol! You might not need all that, but we found all of those things make the experience a bit nicer for all involved. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kbutton said:

We love our Wahl clippers. I had stopped cutting hair for a while, but now I'm back to it with COVID. I use the clippers around the back and sides, and then I use scissors to cut the top and blend it in. 

Don't forget a decent cape, decent haircutting scissors (mine are not super fancy but are still great--can't remember where I got them), a fine comb, and a neck brush, lol! You might not need all that, but we found all of those things make the experience a bit nicer for all involved. 

Right now I am doing straight cuts (1/4" all over).  Cutting hair is not my thing, but I am determined to learn how to clip the back and sides and using the scissors to cut the top.  Try to get it how it was -- LOL.   I did buy a cape and I need better scissors.  I am getting a neck brush -- LOL.  They will be wanting the head and neck massage their barber (she is awesome) gives them -- LOL.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Right now I am doing straight cuts (1/4" all over).  Cutting hair is not my thing, but I am determined to learn how to clip the back and sides and using the scissors to cut the top.  Try to get it how it was -- LOL.   I did buy a cape and I need better scissors.  I am getting a neck brush -- LOL.  They will be wanting the head and neck massage their barber (she is awesome) gives them -- LOL.

I would like to be able to give my kids different cuts, not the same one. Their hair texture and head shape is different, so it's fine, but my older one had hair that was kind of long on top and swooshed to the side. I couldn't preserve that--the first two cuts were close, but over time, it's not quite right. My husband's hair is not super hard to cut, but the coloration changes all over the sides, so if I'm not careful, his hair can be cut just fine but look all blunt like a Hitler cut. 😜 

I need to educate myself on youtube. 

My oldest is in the National Guard, and he does his own buzz cut with Wahl clippers. 

My younger one and I got professional shears and cut our hair during the pandemic, but I recently got a professional cut. It definitely styles better (LOL). 

Edited by G5052

My recommendation is that if you find clippers at a reasonable price to buy them. Unless it's changed in the last few weeks, finding a pair that doesn't have the price utterly jacked up is your real challenge. If you decide you want "good" ones and what you found doesn't fit the bill, then buy again after the pandemic shortage.

I use a Wahl Elite Pro clipper on DS21. It's not great--no clipper in that price range is going to be--but DS isn't picky and it gets the job done well enough. From the box description it sort of sounds like the combs are stainless steel, but really it's just the clips that are SS. The combs are heavier plastic than other human clippers I've had, though. You can buy stainless steel combs. I have this set of Wahl SS combs that I use with a professional Andis clipper for the dogs. They're vastly better than plastic. If you just need one or two combs you can buy them separately and save money. You need to make sure they'll fit whatever clipper you buy, though.

I personally would never oil the clipper after doing just one male head of hair. That's way too much, IMO. I've never seen a stylist oil the clipper after every person. My guess is that they do it at most at the end of each day and (maybe) around midday. I oil the ones I use on DS about every second or third use, which is probably more than truly necessary. Something I don't think has been mentioned is the need to clean the clipper blade. It's especially important on these inexpensive home clippers that don't have detachable (replaceable) blades. To clean a clipper you can buy blade wash (a can will last for many years) or use just a drop of dish detergent in a very small amount of water. Dip just the teeth of the blade into the wash while the clipper is running. Let it run for 30-60 seconds. Lots of little bits of hair will come out. Then while still holding it pointed down (so no liquid runs toward the motor housing) turn it off and dry the blade with a paper towel of clean rag. Then oil it.

Edited by Pawz4me
add link
  • Like 1

Find the clippers you want before you buy the other accessories. Many Wahl clippers come in a kit that includes most everything you'll need.

YouTube is your friend. There are a gazillion videos of people doing lots of different styles. Some of their techniques are way out of my league, but after watching enough of them, I can usually figure out how to do a passable job.

12 hours ago, mlktwins said:

OP here.  Thank you all!!!  I will look through your links above.  

Since we have NEVER oiled our clippers 🤦‍♀️😬😋, we will try that too!!!  Never thought that would lead to the pulling either!

Funny tidbit -- we bought the clippers to use on our cats before my boys were even born 😁.  They never seemed to be in pain or dislike it!  I sure hope we didn't hurt them!!!

If you oil them after, they are already beyond fixing, they will still pull, we learned that the hard way.  You need to oil from day 1.