Menu

Did enrollment numbers at your kid's school increase or decrease?

easypeasy

At my son's school, the state flagship, enrollment figures haven't been published yet, but the unofficial word is this year's freshman class is the largest in several years and possibly has set a new all-time record. That surprises me.

Their plan is to keep the campus open for at least some in-person classes. We'll see. (My son currently has 4 set to be in-person and 2 online. Classes start in 3 days.)

Freshmen are required to live on-campus at this school. Overall dorm residency has dropped from approximately 6300 last year to approximately 4800 this year. Presumably many sophomores and up who would have otherwise lived on-campus this year have opted to live off-campus due to the virus. Rumor has it that many freshmen who applied for on-campus living exemptions this year were denied. I imagine the school will be hurting financially with that many dorm rooms empty. 

Edited by TarynB

8 hours ago, SusanC said:

Local University enrollment increased. Highest ever. Apparently it isn't just state residents either, which was my first thought.

Same here. DDs school has a larger % of OOS kids than recent previous years I've seen. I found that fascinating!

• Like 1

I work for a large, multi-campus community college that is mostly online with in-person labs/clinicals and a few hybrid classes, and it's looking like the numbers are about or just above last fall. My sections are all full with waiting lists.

In our meetings this week, they said that we are getting some freshman and sophomore students from more expensive four-years that went online. I've heard myself of parents who said, "If you have to do online classes from home, we might as well have you do them with the community college." FWIW, we have extensive transfer agreements, guaranteed admissions, many accredited programs (IEEE, ABA, etc. etc.).

My kids' four-year starts Monday, and their classes are full at least. Not sure overall how the school is doing. Everything they are taking is online, but the school has some face-to-face sections and have opened the dorms.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 2

The local state U here and the community college are both up. For the CC, part of it is that TN has a good grant for adults to go back and get their AS, and right now, with so many jobs looking unstable, a lot of people are taking advantage of that option. I know a lot of homeschoolers and local kids who are starting at either the CC or the state U because the parents don't see a reason to pay for housing this year. I'd be interested in knowing what the numbers at the schools who announced early that they were staying online and either not reopening dorms, or opening dorms only for kids who had a high need of them look like. 

• Like 1

At my son's university (my undergrad university too) enrollment is down. Freshmen numbers are way down. The university obliterated their programs "reorganized" last spring because of financial exigency (planned prior to Covid), so they dropped a huge number of majors. Combined with Covid, that's probably why the numbers are down so much. 

At my university, I'm not sure about numbers yet.