Menu

Help me make Zoom classes more fun and interactive

I am teaching some small homeschool math classes (Prealgebra, Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2) online through Zoom. I'm enjoying being able to share the whiteboard to show them how to do problems as well as Desmos to show graphing functions. 

I would love some ideas for interactive and fun activities or games. Some are on tablets, some on laptops, and a couple are on their phones. I just don't know what all they have the ability to do while we are in a meeting. 

Any suggestions for me? Thank you so much for sharing!

Supposedly Zoom is coming to the Portal+ in September. The device is not cheap. The device opens a whole new world of what is possible in video conferencing though. On youtube, I saw a martial arts instructor demonstrating what could be done when one or both parties were on a Portal+.

I expect the options and quality of video conferencing to blow our minds over the next year.

• Like 1

I have a Portal+ and a friend back in the city with just Zoom and no other resource to video-conference. I am looking forward to trying out Zoom with him next month. I left behind friends in the city that are stuck in small units in high-rises with broken elevators and all sort of mess that is keeping them very isolated. I try and entertain the ones that can call me on the Portal+. I am interested in whatever gets posted here.

• Like 1

Facebook Messenger allows you to link to Spotify and Pandora. It looks like Zoom can also do that, but it looks like it requires and extra app or something.

https://zapier.com/apps/spotify/integrations/zoom

Videos about teaching dance classes might have some useful ideas. I am going to have to take the time to watch some of these

Edited by Hunter
  • Like 1

Just now, square_25 said:

I’ve been wondering if there me a non-Zoom platform that’s more fun, but I haven’t found one... I know in one class I saw, kids were annotating the screen in Zoom, which seemed fun with an iPad but less so with a laptop.

I didn't realize they could interact with the screen, too. So when I am in the whiteboard, could they write on it? 

1 minute ago, square_25 said:

I think so? I saw someone using that in a class DD8 took. I was definitely planning to use that feature, although it’s a pain with a track pad.

I need to figure that out. We only have one laptop, and I use the pen/tablet below to write on the whiteboard feature.  We do have a couple of iphones and a Kindle Fire. I guess I could start a meeting on each and try things out here. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CKQY7RN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you for being so accommodating!

My biggest concern about virtual learning is the rapidly growing disparity in access. To be able to afford my tech and a slow internet service, it requires living in a place infested with roaches. So far, my entertainment is hopping up and down and screaming and running around to get a tissue to squish the roach that just walked on my foot.  The person I was chatting with was a cybersecurity buddy and was more interested in the ability of the camera and signal strength to follow me around  than reacting to the roach or my reaction to it, so it worked out well. LOL 

It costs money to do this well. Lots of it! The more equipment, signal strength, and tech knowledge a student has, the greater their ability to participate. The poorer students are silenced and forced into far more passive roles. I HATE this!!!!

In my new neighborhood, people are becoming more and more isolated, and are completely unable to access the new virtual educational opportunities.

• Sad 3

Hunter, yes, I can see that being a problem for sure!  My dh teaches in a more rural county where areas can't get any internet. The school is in-person with the option for remote learning. All of his lesson plans have to be formatted for download to a flash drive. The school isn't streaming teachers live, but they can prerecord some lessons. The school wants the same learning happening in person and at home, so that means no group activities. Each kid comes in class gets on the Chromebook and works. He can definitely interact more in class than with the kids at home. His students struggling the most are the special ed kids. He has a co-taught class with 12 students who have IEPs, a couple of whom have very low IQs. They are struggling with the technology. 

I am teaching friends' kids. I have had students come to my house for a few years now, but some of these students live as far away as 40-45 minutes. I don't think they would take my class if I didn't offer it this way. They would lose so much time driving. I am thankful that the shut down caused me to learn some new technology. I don't believe I would have even thought about offering it this way. I have more than doubled the number of students last year. 

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Hunter said:

Thank you for being so accommodating!

My biggest concern about virtual learning is the rapidly growing disparity in access. To be able to afford my tech and a slow internet service, it requires living in a place infested with roaches. So far, my entertainment is hopping up and down and screaming and running around to get a tissue to squish the roach that just walked on my foot.  The person I was chatting with was a cybersecurity buddy and was more interested in the ability of the camera and signal strength to follow me around  than reacting to the roach or my reaction to it, so it worked out well. LOL 

It costs money to do this well. Lots of it! The more equipment, signal strength, and tech knowledge a student has, the greater their ability to participate. The poorer students are silenced and forced into far more passive roles. I HATE this!!!!

In my new neighborhood, people are becoming more and more isolated, and are completely unable to access the new virtual educational opportunities.

We get roaches too (old building). Combat wipes them out, but a friend of mine swears by borax mixed with sugar -- it's much cheaper, too. I'm just paranoid about my kids getting into it by mistake.

Reading this thread with a lot of interest, thanks!

Thanks for the borax and sugar idea! I am not keen on poison here as I think they are coming inside from outside nests. When I lived overseas in a warm climate, I was warned not to use poisons as they were useless, unless I identified an indoor nest.

This pandemic is definitely offering some people an opportunity to expand or profit in some areas.

Chromebooks are almost useless on public wifi. They shut critical parts of apps off for security reasons as soon as the device identifies a public signal. But everyone keeps handing the useless bricks out to low-income students. SIGH!!!!!! They need something that is totally functional offline with infrequent access to public wifi.

Internet needs to be declared a human right, but even if it does get declared on paper ... that don't mean poop, because look at how much access the poor and rural REALLY have to healthcare.

I predict this winter to be absolute hell. Come spring, we are either going to accept a new level of disparity or we are going to join together in a new level of inclusion. Until we see what people are going to choose, it is hard to plan ahead about how to deal with disparity. A lot of students will not be able to keep up this winter. Period. We have to decide whether we are just going to set the bar lower for them and leave them behind, or we must find ways to support them. Just shaming, blaming, threatening and punishing them is no longer going to mask the problem.

One piece of technology that is often forgotten is Kindle readers with cellular connectivity. The price of the cellular connectivity is part of the price of the device and NOT a monthly fee. Some schools might be able to get a grant or a donation for some of these devices.

https://www.amazon.com/All-new-Kindle-Paperwhite-Waterproof-Storage/dp/B075RNKT6G/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=kindle+4g&qid=1598029308&s=electronics&sr=1-2

Edited by Hunter

There might be more you can do in Google classroom? You could try that out with a few test subjects.

Jamboard? It is interactive for Google classroom, I think, I don't know if it works with Zoom, here is an article about it with Zoom:

https://help.lsit.ucsb.edu/hc/en-us/articles/360044724291-Best-Practice-Collaborative-Whiteboard-using-Zoom-and-Jamboard

It looks like Jamboard is more integrated and easier to use with Google Classroom.

Edited by ElizabethB

I am following here as well . . . I am teaching a few high school courses via Zoom this year-- Spanish and Theology-- so nothing like math. A few things I have found thus far -- rolling a dice game that works on powerpoint for review games, jeopardy, virtual spot it (powerpoint), sharing the whiteboard and yes students can mark it (it is a setting you have to check though), breakout rooms (one of my fave features!)-- set them up in groups and I can pop in and out to help, The students can "call" you if they need you also. Also sharing the screen for online review games, flashcards, quizlet and other games . . . All of my lessons have gone to powerpoint which I never did before but it really helps in keeping the kids engaged and on task (and yet soooo much work). 

I know I am not using it to the most of its capability and I am eager to know more! 

• Like 1

Yes, students can annotate on the whiteboard or on a document if you enable it. I use that for game boards a lot-i've found it works best to take a photo of the PDF vs sharing the PDF because it loads faster and is more stable. I share music frequently. IPads and touchscreen devices are the easiest. I've actually recommended Kindle Fires to some of my parents because it is an inexpensive extra device for the kids to use. 

You can share a YouTube video and share the sound as wdll-I use this for playalongs.  

Edited by dmmetler

I've been trying to figure this out for my own classes. Last year going online was okay, but I need to figure out some new tricks. Our best Zoom success was doing a virtual poetry tea together. We all had a shared textbook and we read aloud from Chinese poetry and discussed each poem and kids got their own tea ahead of time. What I learned was that in the classroom, freeform discussion is pretty easy to encourage in a smallish class. But that on Zoom, it's too easy for just a few kids to dominate and so having a clearer discussion structure (aka, pick a poem to read and then say something about why you picked it and then we'll discuss it for a couple of minutes and move to another person) helps a lot. But in a math class that might be less useful...

I do think sending kids to breakout rooms and coming back together helps if you have a large enough class. For math, you might give them different complex problems to discuss and then come back and "present" the solution or the solving method that they agreed upon. Or even have two groups match off on the same problems and see which can solve more in the time allotted or something.

When I did the Zoom training, I did try the write on the whiteboard together feature, but I have yet to come up with a use for it in a serious high school class. I mean, maybe I will at some point? But when kids have such different devices... it's not like we could all, say, make a timeline together - the quality of writing is too low for most of the students with their devices. You'd need to know that everyone was on an ipad/tablet or on a computer with a touchscreen.

4 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I don't know Zoom, because I've never taught with it, and I'm not 100% sure if this works.  But my school uses Google Meet.  What I have found works well is to send out a link to a google doc.  We can keep our microphones on, and then all talk together while we all work on the same document. For my students, since I teach special ed, we add a lot of structure to the document. For example, I'll put a box on the top of each page and color it a different color, so I can say "Find the red box, and put your cursor there", so that I know all the kids are seeing the problem that I'm working on.  Then I can talk, and use it like a white board, and when I'm done I can direct them to start writing.   I've also done the same thing when I'm homeschooling my own kids long distance.  They don't need quite as explicit structure. 

Oh, good suggestion. We do usually do a couple of writing exercises. This could actually be easier than doing it in the classroom. Hey! Something easier on Zoom other than coming to class in pajama bottoms!

@mom31257 I watched this webinar today and she did a good job of going into how to build community and engagement. Might give you some ideas 

TCM is banging out a ton of great webinars right now. I don't know if they're listed on the website. I get the email notifications.

Here's the link with all their current free webinars. Look for the one on hybrid learning  https://www.teachercreatedmaterials.com/professional-learning/on-demand-webinars/

The hybrid one is starting again in just a few minutes

https://event.webinarjam.com/register/23/zk540tq

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1