Menu

Grammar Curriculum

Hi! 

I was wondering if anyone can give their views on whether 'Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind' or the 'Rod & Staff' series are better for middle grade grammar?

I used 'Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind' in grades 1-3, then my children went to a Montessori school for a while. They're now in grades 6 & 7. I really liked GWTM and my children were very strong in grammar after using it. However, I noticed in 'The Well-Trained Mind' that while it's recommended for the Grammar stage, it's not mentioned at all as a recommendation in the logic stage. 

Thanks!

There are two separate products: First Language Lessons Levels 1-4 which are intended for the grammar stage, and Grammar for the Well Trained Mind, which is much more recent publication and is intended for Logic and perhaps early Rhetoric stage.  The latter is probably not mentioned in the Well-Trained Mind because it wasn't published at the time of the edition you are referencing.

Other people can give reviews on which is "better".  I imagine it depends on your goals and what kind of learners you have.

• Like 2

Like the prior poster, I think you are confusing the two grammar products. There is First Language Lessons 1-4 for elementary/early logic stage and Grammar for the Well Trained Mind picks up after that in 5th grade or later (with adjustments for the younger students)

4 hours ago, Arshia said:

Hi! 

I was wondering if anyone can give their views on whether 'Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind' or the 'Rod & Staff' series are better for middle grade grammar?

I used 'Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind' in grades 1-3, then my children went to a Montessori school for a while. They're now in grades 6 & 7. I really liked GWTM and my children were very strong in grammar after using it. However, I noticed in 'The Well-Trained Mind' that while it's recommended for the Grammar stage, it's not mentioned at all as a recommendation in the logic stage. 

Thanks!

I would not recommend R&S's English texts just for the grammar; they are comprehensive grammar *and* composition. There are other products if you just want grammar.

I have used Rod and Staff English just for grammar instruction. 
In R&S, the composition lessons are clearly marked so that they can be skipped if you don’t want to use them for grammar. 
Rod and Staff English has systematic and  straightforward instruction which I appreciated. It can work well for middle school students, but make sure to choose the appropriate level if the higher levels are too advanced. For example, you may elect to use the Grade 5 book instead of Grade 6 or 7. 
I have not used GWTM, so I can not provide a comparison.