Menu

thoughts on how much 'work' constitutes 1 semester credit?

DD16 (jr this year) is looking for a 1-semester course that's 'mathy'.  Myself, and probably 90% of my coworkers, have at some point taken Andrew Ng's excellent Coursera ML class, so I was wondering about that.

https://www.coursera.org/learn/machine-learning

the linAlg required is light, and there's a review section in the class. She's never seen MATLAB or linear algebra beyond the treatment of matrices in the AoPS series, so I suspect the 54 hour completion time estimate is low. If it took 75 hours or 100 hours...enough for a 1/2 year class credit? Am I thinking about this incorrectly in weighing time spent? Other thoughts on using a coursera class as a HS course?

Edited by AEC

60 hours is what I consider minimum for half a credit.  Since the course states 54 hours and she likely will need to spend more, half a credit seems reasonable to me.  ETA: I can see being concerned about it being too light, though, as we usually spend around 225 hours on a math credit.  Is there a written resource you could include to help with understanding or extra practice to bring it up to 75 hours?

Edited by klmama

yeah - that would be easy. Some practical application of ML on public datasets, for example. (train a predictor for local county covid infection rates would be easy to setup and relevant)