Menu

What are your terms? I did 6 weeks on 1 off two years ago and that didn't work. This year I tried dying of pregnancy and accomplishing nothing and that didn't work. I'm looking at 11 on 2 off. This gives me 2 weeks off in September, December, March and June.

I like 2 weeks off. This way I either do nothing for a week and then get mad work done for a week, or I go somewhere for a week and have a week to recover.

• Like 1

I like your 11 on, 2 off plan. That would be a nice break pretty often during the year.

We do a pretty typical year, September to the end of May, with one week off each for fall break, New Year's, and spring break. We also take off a single day here and there occasionally.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Slache said:

What are your terms? I did 6 weeks on 1 off two years ago and that didn't work. This year I tried dying of pregnancy and accomplishing nothing and that didn't work. I'm looking at 11 on 2 off. This gives me 2 weeks off in September, December, March and June.

I like 2 weeks off. This way I either do nothing for a week and then get mad work done for a week, or I go somewhere for a week and have a week to recover.

Our school year was January 1 to December 31. We took off a couple of weeks in the spring around Easter; a couple of weeks in late August/early September, and Thanksgiving through about the middle of January. We also took off as needed for things like mental health days or visits from grandparents. We "promoted" in September for the sake of Sunday school classes and other activities that grouped children by grade level instead of age; otherwise, we just worked on stuff until we finished, whenever that was, and moved on to the next thing.

I did not, however, try to die of pregnancy and accomplishing nothing, so there's that.

• Like 2

We usually start the first Monday in August and go through with no days off until Thanksgiving week, which we take completely off.  Then we do 2-3 more weeks until we have the first semester done.  We usually take 3ish weeks over Christmas and then start back a few days after New Years.  We sometimes take a few days off during Spring Break if the kids have testing - they test M-W and then we take Th/F off.  Then we plow through until the end, usually early-mid May.  We don't do well at all with one-day holidays that disrupt the flow of our week.  We enjoy having a long break in the summer - it's a time of year that often has busy weekends with baseball tournaments and/or karate tournaments, maybe a summer day camp for a week or 2, work in the garden, and maybe a trip or 2.  It's nice to have no required school work hanging over us, although this year my rising 9th grader did choose to knock out a couple of 1/2 credit classes.    

• Like 1

We have school every weekday unless there's a reason not to, but not necessarily all day. DS is a morning person, and I am a later morning person.

We take off typically one week each in spring and fall when DH's parents visit, and a few days at Thanksgiving and Christmas. The summer session (July-August) is especially light, often with a week or two off for camp or day camp (not this year! which is why I did no canning), and Giving Week just has about an hour of school. I often take part or all of the last week of June/first week of July as well, even if we're not doing anything else. Typically the week after PS starts and before I promote DS has been Field Trip Week, but this year it's housework and whatnot.

My four report card dates for this year are slated to be 11/16, 1/25, 4/19, 6/25.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, WendyAndMilo said:

We're doing a trimester system: Sept-Nov on, December off (because Christmas), Jan-Mar on, April off (because gardening and Lent), May-July on, August off (because me).  2 weeks just isn't enough for me, but three months at one go is waaaayyyyy too much for DS.  I'm hoping that one month is just right, especially since they are built around our general cycle of living anyways.

I’ve never thought of doing school this way, I think that could work really well for my family. 

• Like 2
On 8/18/2020 at 6:21 PM, WendyAndMilo said:

Going off on a tangent....what do you do for your report cards?  Like is it an actual report card? With notes or not?  Do you give them to your DC? Go over them?  Why??   I need details!! 🙂 

It's one page describing the child's progress in each subject. I didn't do them for 4th grade and regret it, because it's nice to look back and see that we really are getting somewhere. 🙂

Edited by Carolina Wren
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This yr we started the end of June with 3 day weeks and 4 day weekends and then 2 full weeks beginning of Aug.  After completing 25 days, we are taking this week off.  We are doing variations of 5-8 weeks one, one week off, with a full month off in Dec and finishing by mid-May.

• Like 1

I usually do around 10 weeks for four quarters, and I take 1-2 weeks off during each of those quarters. We do five days a week, but one of them is a light day with a lot of art in it.

• Like 2

I take summers off.  I need time to relax, to just be mom (and not teacher), to clean a closet and do other random things around the house that normally don't get done during the school year. 

I do planning for the next school year during the summer, but I do it at a pace that I find workable for each day.  Which means many days I do nothing school related at all. 😉

I refuse to start school until the day after Labor Day.  Summer is too short, and winter is too long. 

Once we start, we take 3 days off at Thanksgiving, and a week or so around Christmas.  After that, we push through until our 175 days are done (usually the second or third week in May).  We have, on occasion, taken a mental health day at some unspecified point in March. 

• Like 1

I do a semester system, but the kids don't know that.  It is mainly for me to have a halfway point to evaluate how we are doing and make adjustments if needed.

I start near the end of August.  We take a fall break around youngest's birthday. Usually it is just time at home, but this year we are doing a family trip.  We take a week at Thanksgiving, three weeks at Christmas (though one of those is for cookie baking/candy making week), a week in the spring, and then summers off.  I need the time off to get a break.  The kids have time to enjoy the decent weather that we mainly only get during the summer months.  Most summers were time for dance intensives, summer camp, and just taking time to relax.  This year the summer break has been odd, because we are stuck at home.  In some ways we are looking forward to getting back into the school routine next week, but at the same time feel like we really missed summer break.

• Like 1

I start mid September. Give her holiday's off. She doesn't get weeks off at a time in winter just like Thanksgiving weekend and Christmas Eve and Day. When she is older maybe. We keep going with days off for birthdays or whenever mood strikes till end of May. Then summer school for June/July. Which is 2 subjects a day. She gets 6 maybe 8 weeks for summer.

• Like 1

We have an odd structure, but it works for us.   It's basically 6 weeks on, 1 week off, 6 weeks on, 4 weeks off.  We start mid September and our long breaks fall after Christmas, during Holy Week and after Easter, and the end of summer.  

So 36 weeks of school split into three 12 week semesters.  And 15 weeks of break.  

We did the 6 weeks on, two weeks off schedule for a long time and it worked for a long time, but my kids are getting older and better able to handle long breaks.  Those months feel lux.  And I've long ago learned any more than 6-7 weeks at a go gets exhausting.

Edited by Coco_Clark
  • Like 1

No real schedule here we start in August about a week after summer swim stops and I feel ready.  We just do school until we are done with all the years goals. Taking breaks as needed for holidays, vacations, life events whatever. 

• Like 1
On 8/18/2020 at 12:38 PM, WendyAndMilo said:

We're doing a trimester system: Sept-Nov on, December off (because Christmas), Jan-Mar on, April off (because gardening and Lent), May-July on, August off (because me).  2 weeks just isn't enough for me, but three months at one go is waaaayyyyy too much for DS.  I'm hoping that one month is just right, especially since they are built around our general cycle of living anyways.

This is similar to mine, except off by two weeks.  Our breaks fall end of Dec/early Jan, end of April/early May, and end of Aug/early September. We don't pre-celebrate Christmas or Easter so our breaks don't start more than a week before either.  Plus I add a week in the middle of each of those 3 month stints, because my family are better sprinters than long distancers. 😁

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Coco_Clark said:

We have an odd structure, but it works for us.   It's basically 6 weeks on, 1 week off, 6 weeks on, 4 weeks off.  We start mid September and our long breaks fall after Christmas, during Holy Week and after Easter, and the end of summer.  

So 36 weeks of school split into three 12 week semesters.  And 15 weeks of break.  

We did the 6 weeks on, two weeks off schedule for a long time and it worked for a long time, but my kids are getting older and better able to handle long breaks.  Those months feel lux.  And I've long ago learned any more than 6-7 weeks at a go gets exhausting.

:ohmy:

I have to go print out more calendars.

• Haha 1

We start first week of September and go through mid-June. We take off the entire week of Thanksgiving, the two whole weeks around Christmas/New Years, and both the February and April school vacation weeks. If DH had a "regular" job, we would school year round with regular weeks off, but he's a public school teacher and he just expects that we will follow the public school schedule. I've modified it a bit, in that we don't take off Monday holidays because it throws off my kids to have a week that isn't five days. However, I have been known to yell at kids still in bed, "We are only doing math today - get in the car and let's go to the beach!"

FWIW, (pre-pandemic) I *always* plan a museum trip on the first Monday back after a school vacation week - there are rarely any school field trips and the museums are pretty empty. 

• Like 2
On 8/18/2020 at 10:48 AM, Slache said:

This year I tried dying of pregnancy and accomplishing nothing and that didn't work.

HUGS!!!!

I used to do 1/2 days from mid June through August, with full weeks off around the 4th of July and Labor Day. December was 1/2 days too with about 10 days off for the Holidays. Full weeks are taken  off in February and April when the public schools were out. For almost 2 years I had one kid in brick and mortar while I was homeschooling one at home. And even when I had two at home, the neighbors and their cousins were in public school.

If I had to do it over again, I would spend less time on academics and more time on character training and learning to do physical work.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We just go year-round and take a long break over Christmas, plus whenever we feel tired and fed up.  I tell kiddo that he's "leveled up" to the next grade in September.  Summer tends to be a lighter schedule than the rest of the year. 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Hunter said:

HUGS!!!!

I used to do 1/2 days from mid June through August, with full weeks off around the 4th of July and Labor Day. December was 1/2 days too with about 10 days off for the Holidays. Full weeks are taken  off in February and April when the public schools were out. For almost 2 years I had one kid in brick and mortar while I was homeschooling one at home. And even when I had two at home, the neighbors and their cousins were in public school.

If I had to do it over again, I would spend less time on academics and more time on character training and learning to do physical work.

Hunter, so good to see you pop in! Some one recently posted a minimalism thread and it made me think of you. I hope you are doing well!

• Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, Rachel said:

Hunter, so good to see you pop in! Some one recently posted a minimalism thread and it made me think of you. I hope you are doing well!

I am not sure if I am "well" LOL. But I am alive and housed again, after fleeing across the country from a Covid-hotspot to a sunbaked desert. Now, my front door opens outside to sand and a tree, instead of into a hallway where people are lined up in masks and gloves waiting their turn to enter a germ-filled and toxic-chemical-sprayed elevator.

I am not sure if I am "well", but I am SOOOOO grateful! Viva Las Vegas! LOL. 

I found the minimalism thread. I need to finish reading it all. It is great to see you all!

• Like 8