Menu

Latin Curriculum for 9th Grade

I need help making a decision on which Latin curriculum to choose for my 9th grade daughter.  I have spent too long agonizing about this!  She hasn't had latin since she completed First Form Latin in 6th grade.  I've looked at Henle Latin with MP Guides, Visual Latin, Latin Alive, and Lingua Latina.  I am hoping to find a program that is self guided.  She does not love video instruction, but I do think for Latin it may be necessary.  I just need to make a decision on this, so if you can lend your insight into any of those programs, or suggest something I have not considered yet, I will be most appreciative!!

I would seriously lean toward Henle I. You can use the MP study guide/ lesson plans. If your daughter plans to take the AP Latin exam eventually -- which basically covers Caesar's Gallic War and Virgil's Aeneid -- Henle I will lead perfectly to reading The Gallic War afterwards. Another benefit is that you or she can ask any Latin-related questions you wish on the MP Forum and you will promptly receive knowledgeable answers.

Optimam fortunam.
Bonnie

We used Latin Alive, but the previous version, so I didn't want to muddy the waters with input on that when things might be much different. I can tell you that it was pretty fast paced, and although my youngest had already done Latin for Children A through C, and I was told we could technically skip Latin Alive 1, he still struggled through Latin Alive 1.  I think it is partly how his brain works.  

My oldest pushed through LA1 and LA2 and did well, but some parts were really tough, and he is a very good student. 

Neither liked the videos. I did, but they did not.

If I had it to do over, I would have looked at some other curriculum, but once we had one year done, I didn't see the point of switching. I only intended for them to finish two years. My youngest only did the one year, and he is switching to Spanish this year.  It wasn't worth it for me to struggle through the second year with him.