Menu

If you used Mr. Q for HS science...

...what did it look like? Did you supplement?  I have a freshman who will likely go to college, but not likely a stem field.

I'm considering the Mr. Q programs...but I don't especially want an anatomy/phys-focused biology as her first formal bio.  If you chose a different biology, what did you go with?

Any Mr.Q thoughts (in general - even if used with a younger child)?

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

...what did it look like? Did you supplement?  I have a freshman who will likely go to college, but not likely a stem field.

I'm considering the Mr. Q programs...but I don't especially want an anatomy/phys-focused biology as her first formal bio.  If you chose a different biology, what did you go with?

Any Mr.Q thoughts (in general - even if used with a younger child)?

We love Mr. Q. 

I used the 4 elementary texts with all the kids when my oldest was 1-4th grade.  Last year (kids were 5th, 3rd, 1st, and K4) we did Advanced Anatomy.  This year we are doing Advanced Earth Science.

That said, I personally would not use them with a high schooler without supplementation.  IMO, the texts are short and the program is very weak on output. 

Length: I just checked a random chapter in Mr. Q Advanced Earth Science.  It was 2600 words long.  The book is composed of 30 chapters.  I compared that to the online CK-12 Earth Science text.  A random chapter was 7200 words.  The text is composed of 26 chapters.  That means that overall, Mr. Q is "missing" over 100k words.  Don't get me wrong, I think Mr. Q makes very good use of the words that are in there.  We have always found his books interesting, clearly-written, and thought-provoking...but then again, on average, we are using the books about 4+ years "ahead".  Obviously those "missing" words mean that he is not covering nearly the amount of material in a standard text.

Output: Mr. Q asks for a piddly amount of output.  At the end of each Earth science chapter there are a couple worksheets.  ~15 vocab matching questions, ~8 multiple choice questions (mostly straight recall of facts), and 1 short answer that might ask the student to provide an example of a phenomenon or explain why the results on a graph are expected or unexpected in a given situation.  OTOH, the CK-12 book has each chapter divided into 3-4 subsections, and each subsection has 12-15 short answer review questions.  CK-12 also offers a corresponding workbook that includes critical reading, more questions and writing assignments.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if you want me to show you a sample from one of Mr. Q's books.  I have always been frustrated that the only samples he has available are the first chapters...which are more introductory and less representative of the program as a whole.

• Like 1