Menu

Online Schools

So... CA no longer gives A-G approval to independent providers like G3, AoPS, or Athena's. California charter schools have to decide to work with them.

So, long story short, if you're with a charter, you need to ask the charter what they'll approve. They have it in their power to approve AoPS from AoPS themselves or from another provider (I know Royal Fireworks has AoPS classes with availability right now if you want another option. WTM is closed. Neither of the options listed above have AoPS or math at all, actually). 

Second half of the long story, if you're PSA student, then you don't need A-G approval because it's not available to you anyway.

You can do UC Scout as independent. SVHS may still have openings. But tell us what your status is so people can help you out more specifically.

• Like 1

I think my parents are looking for a private school like Wilson Hill Academy or Veritas Press that can hold and verify transcripts to colleges. I didn't enjoy either after previously taking a year in each. I believe I would prefer a secular school that doesn't focus on classicality (tacit reasoning > dry discussion of literature) or religion (both WHA and VP require religion credits). Thank you for the suggestions so far.

19 hours ago, thomasqm said:

In order to outsource courses to AOPS academy for math and language, I need a Californian online school (especially one that provides history). I'm on my sophomore year and any responses help.

If you aren't already in a charter school, the odds of getting into one now are almost zero. CA capped funding to charters based on last year's student count, so nobody is accepting new students. And even if you were to get into one, there is no guarantee that they will count aops as A through G.

Your request is a little strange. What do you mean by a Californian online school? Charter schools aren't online schools.  And online schools use their own program,  not aops. So an online school would be something like K-12.  They have their own math. 

5 minutes ago, thomasqm said:

I think my parents are looking for a private school like Wilson Hill Academy or Veritas Press that can hold and verify transcripts to colleges. I didn't enjoy either after previously taking a year in each. I believe I would prefer a secular school that doesn't focus on classicality (tacit reasoning > dry discussion of literature) or religion (both WHA and VP require religion credits). Thank you for the suggestions so far.

Ah, I see what you mean.

there are online high schools. I don't know if they are going to be to your liking, but you can  look at Indiana University High School program, or maybe UT High School. 

• Like 1

You’ve chosen a bad year for it. Everything is so full because of Covid.

Your best option, by far, would be a PSA. With a PSA, you can take whatever individual courses you want - AoPS or otherwise - and you do not have to worry about A-G. You can potentially apply to UC’s - by admission by exam or by exemption. Or start CC and transfer. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Ah, I see what you mean.

there are online high schools. I don't know if they are going to be to your liking, but you can  look at Indiana University High School program, or maybe UT High School. 

Also Clonlara, or anything else that oversees your classes and considers you a private school student and issues HS diplomas. These would provide structure, although not necessarily the coursework. The clock is certainly ticking for this year, though.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Farrar said:

You’ve chosen a bad year for it. Everything is so full because of Covid.

Your best option, by far, would be a PSA. With a PSA, you can take whatever individual courses you want - AoPS or otherwise - and you do not have to worry about A-G. You can potentially apply to UC’s - by admission by exam or by exemption. Or start CC and transfer. 

It’s up in the air if UC by exam will still be a possibility in a year. They are going test blind, and since traditional homeschoolers (not charter and not almost full time CC students) are a minority, we might be an afterthought to them. While hopefully they will keep admission by exam, I wouldn’t count on it as a sure thing.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

It’s up in the air if UC by exam will still be a possibility in a year. They are going test blind, and since traditional homeschoolers (not charter and not almost full time CC students) are a minority, we might be an afterthought to them. While hopefully they will keep admission by exam, I wouldn’t count on it as a sure thing.

I'm aware, but I refuse to believe that there will be no way for PSA students to apply to UC's in two years. There are too many students going this route right now, especially with the charters capped.

• Like 1

In addition to things like Clonlara and Penn Foster... there's also dual enrollment. Some are very full, but others are not so it depends where you live. If you're on your junior year, especially if you add in summers, you could potentially get an AA and transfer. Then you have a guaranteed path toward the UC's or the option to apply to a private and start anew.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I'm aware, but I refuse to believe that there will be no way for PSA students to apply to UC's in two years. There are too many students going this route right now, especially with the charters capped.

Yes, there is. It’s CC. That’s what people do here. It’s either community college or charter. Very few people really homeschool. 

And as much as parents want to believe that parent assigned grades count as “official” ones, it’s not so, not without some testing. So CC would be a safe recommendation for UC bound kid, at least until the system settles on what/how they are going to accept kids. 

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Ah, I see what you mean.

Or possibly Texas Tech University High School. One can (I believe) take individual courses from there, as a "Supplemental" student, without enrolling. My DD did that when she began in their Middle School.   Here's a link:

https://www.depts.ttu.edu/k12/programs/high-school/

21 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Yes, there is. It’s CC. That’s what people do here. It’s either community college or charter. Very few people really homeschool. 

And as much as parents want to believe that parent assigned grades count as “official” ones, it’s not so, not without some testing. So CC would be a safe recommendation for UC bound kid, at least until the system settles on what/how they are going to accept kids. 

Disagree. The specific route for very specific admissions to UC schools is up in the air. But the world doesn't revolve around the UC schools. That's why I said it depends on what your goals are. At the vast majority of schools, homeschoolers absolutely do get in without accredited schools, or tons of tests to validate every grade.

40 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Disagree. The specific route for very specific admissions to UC schools is up in the air. But the world doesn't revolve around the UC schools. That's why I said it depends on what your goals are. At the vast majority of schools, homeschoolers absolutely do get in without accredited schools, or tons of tests to validate every grade.

We are talking about CA since the student is here. And while the world doesn’t evolve around UCs, for many of us living here, those are the only affordable and simultaneously excellent institutions to attend. 
I do agree that there are thousands of colleges one can attend with test blind home issues diploma. Again, my advice concerns UCs in particular (given the OP’s location) and wishful thinking (that parent assigned grade carries the same weight for them) isn’t helpful to reality. There is a reason why PSA kids were asked for tests (admission by exam) in the past and kids holding public school diplomas weren’t. They couldn’t be any more clear. They don’t consider the weight of those diplomas the same. 

Edited by Roadrunner