Menu

SAT ID form and notary conflict

Any experience with this, or thoughts?

DS and I went to a notary today to complete the SAT and ACT ID forms.  The notary informed me that he is not allowed to witness the signature of a minor, so he had me sign next to DS's signature, indicating I am the parent.  Under the notary's signature he wrote "witnesed (doodlebug's) signature only." 

Forty dollars later, I'm thinking this is no good and that I need to scramble to get a state issued ID for him.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Edited by Doodlebug

11 minutes ago, Nicholas_mom said:

oh dear!  I was going to go this week and get this done, too!  I forgot to do it.  Need to try to go to the bank and get this done.  It's free at a bank but I have not tried it so I do not know if I am going to have the same problem.  Watching this thread.....

Well, you can't beat free! 

I'm thankful we figured it out this week and didn't wait -- due to covid, our office of motor vehicles is doing appointments only.  So, to get DS a state ID before the test in two weeks, I had to make an appointment with an OMV outside of our county.  Once he has the ID, we'll be better off anyway for future testing, so it's all good.  

That seems strange... our notary had no problem witnessing dd's signature on the SAT form when she was 14. Maybe it's a state thing?

It's very likely that the proctors on exam day won't look that closely at it or bother questioning it. Is the seal over the photo? If so they should clearly be able to see that he's the same kid.

But I would be nervous to risk it too!

• Like 1

I seem to remember that my notary thought it was strange they wanted a minor’s signature notarized, but he signed it anyway.  She had a valid passport at the time, but we still filled it out because it was close to expiration and she had changed a lot between age 9 and age 14.  I don’t know which they used, but they let her sit for the exam.

• Like 2

I've learned that different notaries/institutions sometimes have different rules.  My dad had to write a letter to a solar heating company that provided some of the heat to his home.  He had recently moved, and they wanted a notarized letter saying so.  He wrote a letter stating he had moved, the address, date, etc., and I drove him to his bank to have it notarized.  The notary said he couldn't notarize it because it was hand-written.   This was all such a big deal for my dad because he's 92 years old and of course it was during a pandemic where he had to stand in a line with his mask on, etc.   He doesn't have a typewriter and his handwriting was clear.  Apparently it's just the bank's policy.  

Later I looked it up online and all the sites I went to said that hand-written notes can be legally notarized. 

After doing a google search, I also found this:

Contrary to popular belief, you can notarize a document for a minor.  The minor themselves must sign.

So, my guess is that it was just the particular institution you went to that required your signature as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Ummm...what is this for?  My rising 10th graders are scheudled for their 1st SAT subject test August 29th.  We need to have the admissions form notorized 😱?  Question from an SAT newbie mom 🤪.

You need to have some form of picture identification for admittance to the test.  Most kids taking the SAT use their driver’s license but you can also bring a valid passport.  I seem to remember that the school can issue something on their letterhead.  There is a homeschool form You can fill out and have notarized if your student has no picture id to present.  We ran into it when my daughter was testing through a talent search in ninth grade as prior to ninth grade the SAT doesn’t require picture Id.

1 minute ago, J-rap said:

I've learned that different notaries/institutions sometimes have different rules.  My dad had to write a letter to a solar heating company that provided some of the heat to his home.  He had recently moved, and they wanted a notarized letter saying so.  He wrote a letter stating he had moved, the address, date, etc., and I drove him to his bank to have it notarized.  The notary said he couldn't notarize it because it was hand-written.   This was all such a big deal for my dad because he's 92 years old and of course it was during a pandemic where he had to stand in a line with his mask on, etc.   He doesn't have a typewriter and his handwriting was clear.  Apparently it's just the bank's policy.  

Later I looked it up online and all the sites I went to said that hand-written notes can be legally notarized. 

Contrary to popular belief, you can notarize a document for a minor.  The minor themselves must sign.

So, my guess is that it was just the particular institution you went to that required your signature as well.

I can attest to having handwritten documents notarized.  I hand wrote permission for my daughter to travel internationally with my mother on a Friday afternoon right before the bank closed and they didn’t give it a second glance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doodlebug said:

Any experience with this, or thoughts?

DS and I went to a notary today to complete the SAT and ACT ID forms.  The notary informed me that he is not allowed to witness the signature of a minor, so he had me sign next to DS's signature, indicating I am the parent.  Under the notary's signature he wrote "witnesed (doodlebug's) signature only." 

No idea. DH or I would sign with our kids. So the kid and one parent.

2 minutes ago, Mom2mthj said:

I can attest to having handwritten documents notarized.  I hand wrote permission for my daughter to travel internationally with my mother on a Friday afternoon right before the bank closed and they didn’t give it a second glance.

Same here. Handwritten documents can be notarized. DS14 had used a passport that was almost expiring for SAT subject test and his passport photo was a very sulky young kid 😂 The proctors were bemused. I think most proctors have a sense of humor and are amused by passport photos that are four years ago. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mom2mthj said:

Yes, it was really frustrating.  I wasn't standing with my dad (I wasn't allowed in the bank itself due to Covid so was waiting in the car) or I would have questioned it more.  You'd think at the very least, they would have offered to take two minutes to type the short paragraph my dad had written and let him notarize that one, given all the circumstances.

1 hour ago, J-rap said:

Oh that is incredibly frustrating.  

The notary said this is regulated by each state.  However, I think there are some interpretive issues going on here which I don't have time to fool with. I googled for ten minutes with no specific info about my state.  Ce la vie.  The state ID is a good thing to have anyway.  Take mine as a cautionary tale, ya'll, and just get the ID.  🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

Ummm...what is this for?  My rising 10th graders are scheudled for their 1st SAT subject test August 29th.  We need to have the admissions form notorized 😱?  Question from an SAT newbie mom 🤪.

If your student has a government issued ID or student ID that's less than a year old, you're good!  

Students need a valid form of ID to confirm they are the tester named/pictured on the testing ticket.  If you don't have a government issued ID or student ID, there's a form provided which you can have notarized to confirm ID. 

The notarized ID form is weird, though.  A notary isn't asked to verify any other documentation (birth certificate, SSN card, etc) to confirm that the person signing is actually the kid pictured/ registered on the form.  

Edited by Doodlebug

28 minutes ago, Doodlebug said:

If your student has a government issued ID or student ID that's less than a year old, you're good!  

Students need a valid form of ID to confirm they are the tester named/pictured on the testing ticket.  If you don't have a government issued ID or student ID, there's a form provided which you can have notarized to confirm ID. 

The notarized ID form is weird, though.  A notary isn't asked to verify any other documentation (birth certificate, SSN card, etc) to confirm that the person signing is actually the kid pictured/ registered on the form.  

So...they have a picture ID issued by our homeschool enrichment group that expires 2 days after our exam.  Is that good enough?  The boys took it to their PSAT exam in October, but I don’t think they were asked to show it to anyone.

14 hours ago, mlktwins said:

So...they have a picture ID issued by our homeschool enrichment group that expires 2 days after our exam.  Is that good enough?  The boys took it to their PSAT exam in October, but I don’t think they were asked to show it to anyone.

I don't know.

As in my case with the notary form, it might work.  It might not.  But personally speaking, that murkiness isn't worth us losing the testing seat, so we'll get the state ID which solves the current problem and satisfies all future id issues. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 7:00 PM, mlktwins said:

Here's link to the college board photo id requirements.  https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat-subject-tests/register/special-circumstances/homeschooled-students

It needs to be government issued.  So I'm guessing homeschool enrichment group id does not count???

When my oldest needed it before her driver's permit, we did the affidavit (find on same link) and just got it signed at our bank's notary. no cost.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cbollin said:

Here's link to the college board photo id requirements.  https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat-subject-tests/register/special-circumstances/homeschooled-students

It needs to be government issued.  So I'm guessing homeschool enrichment group id does not count???

When my oldest needed it before her driver's permit, we did the affidavit (find on same link) and just got it signed at our bank's notary. no cost.

Thank you!  We are having a big family discussion tonight to decide if we are confortable moving forward with the subject test.  We are pretty much still in Phase 1 protocol at our house (meaning we aren't going anywhere to be able to care for our elders).  We are trying to decide if it is worth the risk :-(.  I hate all of this.

So...I printed the forms -- thank you!!!  Their passports expired last year and we were planning to renew them when they turned 16 next year.  We have notaries in our neighborhood that will do this for us if we need it.

Thanks again!

On 8/14/2020 at 7:00 PM, mlktwins said:

So...they have a picture ID issued by our homeschool enrichment group that expires 2 days after our exam.  Is that good enough?   

Not if the proctor actually follows the rules. 

A state ID is the easiest option by far, I found it well worth getting. 

21 hours ago, mlktwins said:

What type of state ID?

I have the RealID non-drivers version.  I forgot if you are in Virginia but their link explains quite clearly.

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/drivers/#real_id.asp

17 hours ago, daijobu said:

Take a look at getting a passport for your student.  In my state, getting a passport is faster and easier than a drivers license.  

17 hours ago, katilac said:

It's taking a pretty long time to get passports right now. 

USCIS backlog is quite bad right now. It took four months to get DS14’s passport back and we did his before shelter in place started.