Menu

Middle School Math

Hi all! I could really use some help with choosing a curriculum for my 12 y/o daughter. We've done RightStart A-F. I'm considering doing RightStart Levels G and H for middle school. I like the independence of it, and I like that it integrates other math concepts.... Still not sure about waiting 2 years to start algebra though. She's not especially "mathy", but RightStart has laid a good foundation for her in regards to number sense and understanding math concepts and she is doing well overall with her math work. I'm also considering Math U See pre-algebra, but like any curriculum I've seen mixed reviews and I just don't know what to think any more. I've considered Saxon, but that's pretty different from what we've done so far--maybe a good thing, maybe not.... And then there are lots of other curriculums that I've seen while perusing these forums.... SO many options. Here are my goals for her this year, I think: leaning towards pre-algebra, but would also like to integrate regular arithmetic review, just to keep these concepts fresh (especially percentages, decimals, fractions, etc). She is open to any of the above, but she leans towards RightStart right now because she likes geometry. I'm more inclined to get a workbook on the side, rather than spend two years on it! I really like to choose a curriculum and stick with it (perhaps to a fault), so I'm wanting to choose a path to the best of my ability at this point. MUS seems good in this regard, as it seems similar to RightStart, but continues through high school. 

I could ramble more, but I'll keep it at that. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. 

I found my kids had very strong opinions about RightStart Geometry, so you might try asking her.

What I'm doing with my daughter right now, who is turning 12 in September, is that she does algebra four days per week and RS G two days per week. We've been using Algebra, Themes, Tools, and Concepts along with Singapore Challenging Word problems on algebra days.

Emily

I have several middle schoolers. 

Boy A, entering 7th grade, is doing Alg 1 this year, which will be followed by Geometry in 8th grade, and Alg 2 in 9th grade.  (There is a boy C that will do the same as he's finishing up Beast Academy arithmetic this year in 5th grade).

Girl A, also entering 7th grade, is doing MM7 this year, which will be followed by Pre-Al in 8th, and Algebra in 9th.  (There is a boy B that will do the same as he's entering 6th grade and has easily two more years of arithmetic).

By far I feel like my daughter is on the more conventional path, and honestly I feel torn about starting Algebra early despite having done it once (and planning on doing it again).  It's a developmental leap and often the cons don't outweigh the pros.  I would err on the side of a good foundation in arithmetic every time.  Especially those tricky decimals and percents!

I'm also rambling 😂

But I'll add that I also would err on doing what works now without worrying about next year.  The program that was a great fit for arithmetic might not be for algebra abs double that risk with geometry.  Math is not always math, they are very different things!  So if right start is working keep with it until it doesn't.  Then worry about changing 

Edited by Coco_Clark