Menu

PSAT English Prep

I thought I had saved a link but can't find it. My dd is going to take the PSAT and I want to do some prep for the English section. I think people have recommended the Erica Metzler book before but I'm not sure, and I wanted to check before I bought it.

Any recommendations?

• Like 1

Several suggestions before your DD begins this journey into her future...  First, if she doesn't already have a spare email account for this, she should get one.

Secondly, if she doesn't already have an account on CollegeBoard, she should sign up for one.

The CollegeBoard and KhanAcademy   https://www.khanacademy.org/

have an arrangement where Khan Academy has a tie-in with the CollegeBoard for studying for the PSAT and the SAT. It is FREE. My DD used Khan Academy almost exclusively to study for the PSAT and then the SAT.

I hope your DD can get the English preparation you are seeking, and I know she will have a huge amount of help available.

NOTE: I suggest that when she fills out the information for the PSAT and then the SAT that she "opt in" to them sharing her information and that schools can send her emails. That's why the throwaway email account. Opt into everything. She will get a huge amount of emails that are of no interest, and she can delete them immediately after deciding they are of no interest, but among  them are some jewels. CollegeBoard also has a Scholarship finder and it is one of 2 that I suggested my DD use. In fact, I remember going through the list the CollegeBoard Scholarship finder came up with, with my DD, one or 2 days. The other Scholarship finder I had trust in was the one operated by Scholarship America (is that the name?) in Minnesota. They sent the National Hispanic Recognition Program certificate and letter to my DD, on behalf of the College Board, after she qualified for that honor, when she took the PSAT.  Probably your DD will receive the maximum Financial Aid and Merit Aid, from the school she attends, so I would not suggest spending much time looking for outside scholarships, but that is another issue

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Lanny said:

Several suggestions before your DD begins this journey into her future...  First, if she doesn't already have a spare email account for this, she should get one.

Secondly, if she doesn't already have an account on CollegeBoard, she should sign up for one.

The CollegeBoard and KhanAcademy   https://www.khanacademy.org/

have an arrangement where Khan Academy has a tie-in with the CollegeBoard for studying for the PSAT and the SAT. It is FREE. My DD used Khan Academy almost exclusively to study for the PSAT and then the SAT.

I hope your DD can get the English preparation you are seeking, and I know she will have a huge amount of help available.

NOTE: I suggest that when she fills out the information for the PSAT and then the SAT that she "opt in" to them sharing her information and that schools can send her emails. That's why the throwaway email account. Opt into everything. She will get a huge amount of emails that are of no interest, and she can delete them immediately after deciding they are of no interest, but among  them are some jewels. CollegeBoard also has a Scholarship finder and it is one of 2 that I suggested my DD use. In fact, I remember going through the list the CollegeBoard Scholarship finder came up with, with my DD, one or 2 days. The other Scholarship finder I had trust in was the one operated by Scholarship America (is that the name?) in Minnesota. They sent the National Hispanic Recognition Program certificate and letter to my DD, on behalf of the College Board, after she qualified for that honor, when she took the PSAT.  Probably your DD will receive the maximum Financial Aid and Merit Aid, from the school she attends, so I would not suggest spending much time looking for outside scholarships, but that is another issue

Thanks for the suggestions!

I didn’t answer initially because DD is prepping for ACT, specifically, not the PSAT. But, I heartily endorse the Erica Meltzer English, reading, and vocabulary prep books. My DD worked through each of them then took her first practice ACT recently. She scored a 35 on English and a 33 on  Reading. Of course she’s a strong student with 10 years of WTM-inspired homeschooling under her belt, so her score can’t be credited to the Meltzer books alone, but I think they were helpful at consolidating what she knows into a comprehensive testing strategy. 

• Thanks 1