Menu

Unemployment prayers & possibilities

Laurel-in-CA

DH is still looking....anything local with benefits, anything in his field / skill set / market experience anywhere in the US.

I have a contract for 80 hours of writing...starting some market research for a competitive report and red team editing on a proposal, hoping for a LOT more from this company once that is done. Sending out some p/t remote writing job applications.

Unemployed dd had a tooth/root canal abcess and is going to need a new crown, but the antibiotic worked so we can put it off for awhile.

Little things keep us going, but I have a real estate agent coming Friday to evaluate house for sale, hoping not to do that until March so youngest can finish her senior year @ CC for free.

• Like 4

Praying for you & your family. Being prepared and/or ready to sell is a wise step but I hope you’re able to avoid selling & moving. We had to move 2000 miles when my dh was laid off. It was tough (and I was expecting child #4)but his job offer came through after we sold  our house and we were thankful that we could move quickly to accept the job offer. Ten years later and he’s at that same job and we are doing well.
Praying many blessings and a job offer for your dh. 

• 3 weeks later...

I do appreciate the thoughts and good wishes from everyone and the company suggestions, etc. DH has gotten some mentoring in making better use of LinkedIn and this has led to some new possibilities. He should be having a 3rd interview for a job in the Silicon Valley area, was contacted about a possibility in Phoenix, and got in touch with a former manager which has led to a job possibility that would be working from home w/some travel. That's the one we're wishing on....he should be able to talk to the guy in person early next week.

I've held up pretty well, I think, and I clocked nearly 30 hours of work last week, but I am anticipating the holidays will mean pretty much zero income. And with that and all the possibilities that have evaporated over the past months, plus the argument I had with my oldest over "who's a racist" and "chant the slogan" (which I do not do), I have had a very rough day. I have to be back in the saddle tomorrow for a proposal review and team meeting, so I've just got to get over this and get on with it. DH and I really seem to be on a seesaw - he's up, I'm down and vice versa. Ahhhhhhh....waiting for breakthrough is hard!!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 4

You have my sympathy.  DH was laid off right as Covid hit and he’s still job hunting.  He’s had several second and third round interviews without any offers.  A couple of jobs never responded that they went with someone else even after multiple interviews. It is so disheartening to not know why.  The seesaw example is the perfect analogy.  Praying something comes together soon for you all!

• Sad 1

I was looking for an update and glad to see that he's at least getting interviews.

I aggressively looked for over a year, using mostly LinkedIn and Ziprecruiter. I had some good interviews, but no final offers. In every case where I was in the top 2-3, they hired someone who had previously worked for them. In one case they gave me a verbal offer, and then hired someone who applied the very day I got a verbal offer. It was someone who had interned with them some years before. What can you do?

I ended up doing mostly contract work like you are which has it's downsides, but it's income in a field that I enjoy. I have steady work now and am planning my retirement. So it all worked out, but it was sure painful to get turned down so many times. IMHO age discrimination is alive and well, but that's another post... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are *cautiously* hopeful that there will be an offer letter before Thanksgiving. WHAT a blessing this would be!

This is a company where dh applied and then found through linkedin that a former co-worker was a manager there; when he reached out to his friend, it turned out he was the hiring manager for the position! We know they've been calling dh's references, and then the hiring manager called to let us know they'd heard good things and were putting together an offer. We expect it to start in January, but are so hoping for something to bolster our spirits this week!!

• Like 26

13 minutes ago, Laurel-in-CA said:

We are *cautiously* hopeful that there will be an offer letter before Thanksgiving. WHAT a blessing this would be!

This is a company where dh applied and then found through linkedin that a former co-worker was a manager there; when he reached out to his friend, it turned out he was the hiring manager for the position! We know they've been calling dh's references, and then the hiring manager called to let us know they'd heard good things and were putting together an offer. We expect it to start in January, but are so hoping for something to bolster our spirits this week!!

This is great news.  Will it require a move?

WE HAVE AN OFFER LETTER!!!!

On Monday dh will call with a few questions/clarifications, schedule a drug test and (hopefully) sign on the dotted line!! Hurrah, and the best Thanksgiving EVER! Working from home, almost the same salary, a field dh is familiar with, a family-owned and solidly established company. Now we need to set up a home office for dh.

LinkedIn is the bomb. Friends who coach you on LinkedIn are super, and we've had an amazing prayer team and generous friends (y'all included) with us through this 10-month (!!) job search.

• Like 37
  • Thanks 11

11 hours ago, Laurel-in-CA said:

WE HAVE AN OFFER LETTER!!!!

On Monday dh will call with a few questions/clarifications, schedule a drug test and (hopefully) sign on the dotted line!! Hurrah, and the best Thanksgiving EVER! Working from home, almost the same salary, a field dh is familiar with, a family-owned and solidly established company. Now we need to set up a home office for dh.

LinkedIn is the bomb. Friends who coach you on LinkedIn are super, and we've had an amazing prayer team and generous friends (y'all included) with us through this 10-month (!!) job search.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What wonderful timing! Makes this Thanksgiving so thankful.

• Like 1

Now that I've been officially told I'm not a "good fit" for my job, and I should start looking for a new one (by my current manager), because of the exec I work for who has never been a good fit for anyone he works with--my manager included--I'm going to have to try Linked In.   Mine is a sad situation, but you really can't change who people are, so it's just as well if I move on.  

Sigh, I hate it in life when you put in years of time and effort on something you cared about and then it goes sour, so you memories of it are ruined.  That's such a bummer. 

• Sad 5

8 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

Now that I've been officially told I'm not a "good fit" for my job, and I should start looking for a new one (by my current manager), because of the exec I work for who has never been a good fit for anyone he works with--my manager included--I'm going to have to try Linked In.   Mine is a sad situation, but you really can't change who people are, so it's just as well if I move on.  

Sigh, I hate it in life when you put in years of time and effort on something you cared about and then it goes sour, so you memories of it are ruined.  That's such a bummer. 

Sounds like you can find a more pleasant work situation, for sure. DH got the professional membership to LinkedIn and has used it extensively, especially the past 3 months or so, getting up the nerve to contact people he worked with 20-30 years ago and ask if there were opportunities at their present firms, checking companies with job listings to see if he knew anyone there, etc.

I hope you do find something better!! My daughter lost her job due to Covid shutdown and moved back in with us last May. She's found a much better job at a much more pleasant place where she is much appreciated...the only interview she had, they hired her and they've already given her one raise. I hope you find something like That!!

• Like 4