Menu

Novare Earth Science

Rachel

No specific questions, just curious what you like and dislike about it. I’m looking for science for my 7th grader. The preview looks good but it’s always good to hear from someone who has actually used a particular curriculum. 

1 hour ago, Rachel said:

No specific questions, just curious what you like and dislike about it. I’m looking for science for my 7th grader. The preview looks good but it’s always good to hear from someone who has actually used a particular curriculum. 

Well, I like the style it's written in, very accessible but not patronizing or dumbed down. We got the rock and mineral kits from Amazon to do the identification labs, also sugar cube erosion and a couple others that I can't remember right now. His teacher required a lab notebook and I think practicing to do detailed/good labs is worth the time and effort. Without the labs I think the course might feel pretty dry, although that would depend on how your kiddo feels about reading about earth science in general. I plan on keeping it to do with subsequent kiddos and we're moving on to Novare's Physical Science this upcoming year, so that might be an endorsement. 🙂

I am just venturing into the world of middle school science courses, but it seemed very solid to me and it interested my son enough that motivation to read was not difficult.

Edited by EmseB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, eagleynne said:

You should consider asking about it on the Memoria Press forum. A lot of folks over there have used it and I know I've seen posts about it.

Thanks, I found some threads over there and it was very helpful. 

@EmseB Thanks! He will read ANYTHING but we would do the labs anyway. I have a rock identification kit from his much younger days, the other lab materials didn’t look like they would be too difficult to find. I’m drawn to the high school courses and think this would be a good intro for him.

We have done Memoria Press Insects, Birds, and Astronomy in the last couple of years. I’m planning to do trees with my two younger kids this year. Initially I planned to do it with him too, but I think he needs something more. 

• Like 1

We used that book in seventh!  We did no labs.  DS just read it for enjoyment and shared with me the things he found interesting!

He loved that textbook.  He looked forward to reading it.  That experience led me to try out Novare's Accelerated Studies in Physics/Chem this year.  Looking forward to it!   

Edited by Doodlebug
  • Like 1

We're using it this year and enjoying it so far. I posted this in the MP forum, but I'll copy/paste it here:

_____

For anyone using Novare Earth Science, here's a list I've created of supplemental videos that can be used with most of the reading sections.

One of my children has a learning disability and is a very visual learner, and adding videos to the reading helps her to process the information she's taking in.

You are welcome to share this list. Most are short, free videos. A few require a subscription, and some are documentary-length. Please preview them before showing them to your children/students.

https://bit.ly/30Th5T7

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Thanks all!

@Teek thank you for the video list!

Classical Academia Press has a science webinar Thursday afternoon with John Mays, the author of the science books. I don’t see a link on the website, but it was in their email newsletter if you get that. 

• Like 2

My son went through the book when it first came out.  We didn’t make it all the way through with quizzes, but he liked the book and finished it up himself.  He is a rock/fossil nut so that isn’t going to be true of everyone.  He brings backs a handful of rocks (or more) from any trip he has ever been on.  We did the rock identification kit, didn’t make a water table, and went through some of the topographical map labs. He needed help with figuring out the map exercises because he was still in pre-algebra at the time.  Overall, it was one of the first middle school science texts I have used that wasn’t a complete waste of time.  It is Christian without being young earth.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mom2mthj said:

My son went through the book when it first came out.  We didn’t make it all the way through with quizzes, but he liked the book and finished it up himself.  He is a rock/fossil nut so that isn’t going to be true of everyone.  He brings backs a handful of rocks (or more) from any trip he has ever been on.  We did the rock identification kit, didn’t make a water table, and went through some of the topographical map labs. He needed help with figuring out the map exercises because he was still in pre-algebra at the time.  Overall, it was one of the first middle school science texts I have used that wasn’t a complete waste of time.  It is Christian without being young earth.

We are doing physical science this year and I'm eyeing earth science for next year.  I couldn't find any pictures or videos of the water table.  What is the purpose of it?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2020 at 10:27 PM, Teek said:

For anyone using Novare Earth Science, here's a list I've created of supplemental videos that can be used with most of the reading sections.

One of my children has a learning disability and is a very visual learner, and adding videos to the reading helps her to process the information she's taking in.

You are welcome to share this list. Most are short, free videos. A few require a subscription, and some are documentary-length. Please preview them before showing them to your children/students.

https://bit.ly/30Th5T7

Thank you so much for sharing this! That was certainly a labor of love on your part, and very generous of you to share. I am curious: did you incorporate/schedule the videos that are linked in the free resources from Novare? Or are your videos all in addition to what they listed? (I edited this post because I found a better link to the videos). Here is what I'm referring to: https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?cid=698BD5FB30473AFB&authKey=!AODVtO1FFFkHTdc&resid=698BD5FB30473AFB!4152&ithint=.pdf&open=true&app=WordPdf

Edited by myanmom
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone tried these lesson plans written by Catholic Heritage Curricula? https://www.chcweb.com/catalog/category8_321/EarthScienceGodsWorld,OurHomeDailyLessonPlans/product_info.html

Or did you find the lesson plans included in the Digital Resources to be sufficient? Or did you come up with your own system that you like better? Would love to hear what's working, or what didn't work, for you. Thanks!

On 9/5/2020 at 7:48 PM, myanmom said:

Thank you so much for sharing this! That was certainly a labor of love on your part, and very generous of you to share. I am curious: did you incorporate/schedule the videos that are linked in the free resources from Novare? Or are your videos all in addition to what they listed? (I edited this post because I found a better link to the videos). Here is what I'm referring to: https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?cid=698BD5FB30473AFB&authKey=!AODVtO1FFFkHTdc&resid=698BD5FB30473AFB!4152&ithint=.pdf&open=true&app=WordPdf

Thank you! I think only 3 or 4 of the videos on my list came from the free resources list. To be honest, I didn't find a lot of info in the resources they provided that was very helpful to me. 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2020 at 7:54 PM, myanmom said:

Has anyone tried these lesson plans written by Catholic Heritage Curricula? https://www.chcweb.com/catalog/category8_321/EarthScienceGodsWorld,OurHomeDailyLessonPlans/product_info.html

Or did you find the lesson plans included in the Digital Resources to be sufficient? Or did you come up with your own system that you like better? Would love to hear what's working, or what didn't work, for you. Thanks!

For each section (most chapters have 4 or 5 sections): We do a video on the lesson first (this immensely helps my dd), then we do vocabulary (we use Quizlet to create and study them), then we read the section. DD asks about anything that isn't quite clear to her. Then we supplement most sections with Interactive Notebooks from Stephanie Elkowitz on Teachers Pay Teachers. This is definitely not necessary, but I find her resources to be fantastic, and both kiddos love using them for their science studies. I just rearrange them to go along with the order in whatever text we're using as our spine. Then I make a study guide and chapter test for each chapter. I didn't like the format of the tests they provided.

Edited by Teek
edited for clarity
  • Like 1

Also wanted to add, it can take anywhere from 1-3 days to get through some sections this way, so up to 2 weeks for a chapter. I don't stress too much about pacing, because we go year round and from my scheduling of the year, at this pace we still have a few weeks to play with in the school year. 

• 6 months later...
On 9/5/2020 at 8:54 PM, myanmom said:

Does anyone know if these plans are for 4 or 5 days a week?  Has anyone used them?