Menu

TV/ Streaming Series that have ended

mom31257

I heard this question on the Pulse radio last week, so I thought I would ask here. If you could magically have more episodes made of a series that has already ended, which 3 series would you pick? This can be regular TV, premium channels, streaming services, etc. 

I know these are three totally different genres, but I really liked them. My three would be

Poldark

Jericho

The Middle 

Off the top of my head...

The Hour (it was cut short and ended during a cliffhanger!)

Homeland (My favorite very recent series, which got better as it went, and I just watched the last season!)

Well, I'd choose older shows like MASH or even Dick Van Dyke, but they wouldn't be the same of course because everyone has either gotten older or died.

Maybe The Newsroom?

• Like 1

Jericho would be a definite.

Firefly, even more so.

There was a TV show called Life where the main character was a cop who'd been wrongfully convicted of his partner's murder. He filed a lawsuit and got out of prison and was reinstated to the force with a multi-million dollar settlement, which he used to try and track down his partner's real killer. It ended after one season, but I'd LOVE to see more of that one.

I'd say Leverage, but we're getting more of that one, thankfully. 😄

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mom31257 said:

I've never heard of The Unit. Since two of mine are two of yours, I should check it out. 

The Unit is the weakest of the four I mentioned. I don't really know exactly why I like it, but I recently rewatched it (I think it was on Prime for a short time) and, though it does reflect the style of the time, I still enjoyed it. Maybe I enjoy it *because* it reflects the time it was made, I could be heavily influenced by nostalgia. 😁 haha I'm not trying to dissuade you, really! Just don't expect Poldark level from it. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jentrovert said:

The Unit is the weakest of the four I mentioned. I don't really know exactly why I like it, but I recently rewatched it (I think it was on Prime for a short time) and, though it does reflect the style of the time, I still enjoyed it. Maybe I enjoy it *because* it reflects the time it was made, I could be heavily influenced by nostalgia. 😁 haha I'm not trying to dissuade you, really! Just don't expect Poldark level from it. 

The Unit kept popping up for me, so I watched it. Liked it okay. I agree that I would have liked more of it. That last season was such a strange premise, though. 

My pick is always Crossing Jordan. Get them off that mountain, and give them a satisfying ending!  I'd love more Rizzoli & Isles too, but they at least got a conclusion, and it wasn't the same after the one actor died. 

Oh, my other favorite that really, really needs more episodes, even though they did conclude it well is White Collar. So rare to have a show that was witty but not generally silly, and also interesting for adults but fairly clean -- not often gory, and even the few adult scenes and  language were pretty tame.  Also, somewhat diverse cast and characters. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, elegantlion said:

Lost - but like with a real ending, not the garbage one we got. 

Firefly for sure

Hell on Wheels, but like season 4B - I wanted to see what happened before they got to Ogden. 

(I loved the ending of Lost—shhh!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, mom31257 said:

I loved it, too! I didn't think there were any others besides me who did. 

Me too! We are rewatching the series now. I have thought, sure we are in a pandemic but at least we are not lost on an island with a smoke monster and a polar bear among other evils!

My So Called Life was sooo good! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, elegantlion said:

Lost - but like with a real ending, not the garbage one we got. 

Oh, worst series ending EVER! Besides the few of you here who said you liked it, I only know one IRL person who liked it. Actually, she didn't so much like it as she said she understood why it ended that way.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Oh, worst series ending EVER! Besides the few of you here who said you liked it, I only know one IRL person who liked it. Actually, she didn't so much like it as she said she understood why it ended that way.

I remember some quite heated discussions on here when it originally aired. 😎

I can see how it could be likable, it just felt a lie after all the answers hype the writers promised.

• Like 4

I really liked Lost and can’t remember the ending at all!😳 now I’m wondering...

(my memory is seriously terrible!)

My picks are definitely The Office and Downton Abbey. My third pick would be The Office again 😁 —love that show!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I’ve wondered if people didn’t like it because they didn’t understand it. I had a conversation with someone who was railing against the ending and when we talked a little more, I realized he had completely misunderstood it.

29 minutes ago, elegantlion said:

I remember some quite heated discussions on here when it originally aired. 

Well...then maybe my theory about people misunderstanding it is wrong, because I’m sure that people explained it in the thread and others probably still hated it.

And now that I think of it, my one son haaaated the ending and the rest of us explained it to him and he understood it and still hated it. My dh didn’t love it or hate it, but my oldest son and I both loved it. My oldest has watched the series about 4 times in the past 4 years because he loves it so much.

7 minutes ago, mmasc said:

I really liked Lost and can’t remember the ending at all!😳 now I’m wondering...

That’s funny! People tend to remember the ending of Lost.  But...actually not funny if you have serious memory issues.  I won’t give spoilers away here, but if you want a pm reminding you of how it ends, let me know.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Garga said:

I’ve wondered if people didn’t like it because they didn’t understand it. I had a conversation with someone who was railing against the ending and when we talked a little more, I realized he had completely misunderstood it.

Well...then maybe my theory about people misunderstanding it is wrong, because I’m sure that people explained it in the thread and others probably still hated it.

And now that I think of it, my one son haaaated the ending and the rest of us explained it to him and he understood it and still hated it. My dh didn’t love it or hate it, but my oldest son and I both loved it. My oldest has watched the series about 4 times in the past 4 years because he loves it so much.

I and most people I know who hated it understood it. It just felt like the writers too the easy/lazy/predictable way out.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Garga said:

That’s funny! People tend to remember the ending of Lost.  But...actually not funny if you have serious memory issues.  I won’t give spoilers away here, but if you want a pm reminding you of how it ends, let me know.

Lol...I don’t think I have serious memory issues. But I do have a terrible time remembering all things entertainment related—always been bad at song names and lyrics (even as a teenager) and movie names and actors. So sure, send me a pm to jog my memory 😁

Edited by mmasc

4 hours ago, Laurel-in-CA said:

Firefly, Eureka, Leverage or Miss Fisher

We loved Miss Fisher and were sad to see it go. Leverage was a show we watched together when ds was a teenager. We're currently rewatching Eureka. We've never seen it all the way to the end but since we don't remember where we left off we decided to just watch the whole series.

3 hours ago, TomK said:

Good news, Leverage is coming back.

https://www.tvinsider.com/931862/leverage-revival-noah-wyle-original-cast-members/

And I've already seen pics of most of the cast hanging out for a bit.

That should be interesting. I look forward to finding out if it's as good as the original. Hopefully with 3 cast members coming back as regulars and one popping in now and then, it will be an easy transition to a show without Timothy Hutton.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/11/2020 at 1:40 PM, Laurel-in-CA said:

Firefly, Eureka, Leverage or Miss Fisher

On 8/11/2020 at 5:44 PM, Lady Florida. said:

We loved Miss Fisher and were sad to see it go. 

Since you both steered me to Miss Fisher, and I loved her too, you might enjoy the spinoff Ms. Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries. It's focused on her niece and set in the 60s. Love the makeup, hair, clothing, buildings, furniture, and all things 60s. I found it on Amazon, and it has all the charm of the original with it's own unique characters.

5 hours ago, IfIOnly said:

Since you both steered me to Miss Fisher, and I loved her too, you might enjoy the spinoff Ms. Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries. It's focused on her niece and set in the 60s. Love the makeup, hair, clothing, buildings, furniture, and all things 60s. I found it on Amazon, and it has all the charm of the original with it's own unique characters.

We enjoyed that one too. It's sad that these shows have so few seasons. 

I was sad to see Leverage end, but I thought it had a good ending, so there's that.

No one has mentioned "Revolution." The last episode of season 2 set up season 3...but I guess J.J. Abrams had bigger fish to fry. All of us extras here in the Austin area were very disappointed because we were ready to go to Idaho (which was where the next season was supposedly going to be happening, even though it would actually have been shot in Central Texas).

We enjoyed the Unit, but it fizzled out. Ditto Sanctuary.

Seconding Pushing Daisies and Agent Carter.

I'll add...

Wonderfalls - like Pushing Daisies but maybe even better - but way too few episodes and only halfway wrapped up

Happy Endings - Many of the sitcoms people are mentioning felt to me like they ran their course - like, I love The Office, but by the end, it was just okay so I don't wish for more. But Happy Endings was canceled at its prime. I would absolutely have watched a ton more episodes of this. It's so underappreciated even now.

Bunheads - Clearly canceled before its time!

Forever - This show concept has literally been done THREE times and none of them have succeeded. It was kind of a dumb show, but I love a supernatural procedural.

The Dresden Files - Speaking of which, did I mention that I love a supernatural procedural?

Edited by Farrar