Menu

Wow, I thought what I posted was rather benign

DawnM

I guess not.  

I posted an article, written by a former surgeon, about wearing masks.  

I had people who haven't spoken to me in years and years, who decided now was the time to come out and tell me how stupid, duped, brainwashed, and believing a lie from satan I am for believing masks help.   They also said they aren't quarantining, it doesn't work, and they will not give up their freedoms for this "left wing conspiracy."

Two of them were in my former homeschool group, I haven't seen or spoken to them in about 7 years, so they were easy to delete as friends.

The 3rd I have known since high school and her sister was in my class.  She hasn't posted on my timeline EVER, but has chosen this time to come on and blast me.

I am shocked to be honest.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 30

The lack of civility is unbelievable. I had someone blast me in a FB group because when they inquired about homeschool co-ops not requiring masks, I suggested that since our governor’s statewide order requires masks in all public indoor settings, it’s likely that co-ops would also require masks. 

• Like 9

This is why I have temporarily quit FB. I deleted the apps off my phone and iPad so that I can only look in on FB from my computer, which translates to much less often. Also, I’m currently not even doing that. It’s just become extremely ugly and people I have known for decades are arguing with me on MY wall, despite what I posted being benign. So I’m DONE. I don’t need that aggravation in my life. 

I’m sorry. I don’t know what the solution is, but the tone of FB has become unbearable to me now and I have been much happier this past week without it. 

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Quill said:

This is why I have temporarily quit FB. I deleted the apps off my phone and iPad so that I can only look in on FB from my computer, which translates to much less often. Also, I’m currently not even doing that. It’s just become extremely ugly and people I have known for decades are arguing with me on MY wall, despite what I posted being benign. So I’m DONE. I don’t need that aggravation in my life. 

I’m sorry. I don’t know what the solution is, but the tone of FB has become unbearable to me now and I have been much happier this past week without it. 

I pretty much only go on on my computer, but I am on my computer a lot, I prefer FB on the computer over the APP and really only use the app for messenger while I am at work.  

I won't leave FB, but I have started to delete people.  I think the election will bring out some nasty stuff too, and I don't even post anything political, but I hate seeing it.  Although, if you ask some people, what I posted was highly political.....🙄

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

Just now, DawnM said:

I pretty much only go on on my computer, but I am on my computer a lot, I prefer FB on the computer over the APP and really only use the app for messenger while I am at work.  

I won't leave FB, but I have started to delete people.  I think the election will bring out some nasty stuff too, and I don't even post anything political, but I hate seeing it.  Although, if you ask some people, what I posted was highly political.....🙄

The election is the other reason, and yes, masking is weirdly political now so...

Deleting people is a way too, but - this is purely my experience, not saying it would be for you - there were lots of people I didn’t delete because they were not *hostile*, but they still represent a waste of time as they seek to debate every darn thing I post. After exhausting several hours trying to explain to someone that using last week’s provisional death statistics from the CDC was not giving a true picture of deaths and still having this person (not hostile, but...being dense?) say, “well, the number is clearly smaller so deaths are going down,” I just said, I’m done. Believe what you want to believe; I’m not wasting my time on this. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, square_25 said:

Oh, man, I've had this argument so many times. And it says on the website they aren't right! 

I know, right?! I even directly quoted CDC’s own information saying info can lag by eight weeks or more. And it’s called a provisional count! 

It was like arguing with a wall. Or a flat-earther, lol! 

• Like 8

I am finding that a very large percentage of local homeschoolers buy into the pseudoscience and conspiracy theories against masking and isolating.  Needless to say, we are not attending even a simple outdoor activity with any other homeschool families.  Last week someone from my homeschool group posted the stupid thing about masks helping out child traffickers.  In it, it claimed that a child is 66,000 times more likely to be a trafficking victim than to contract covid.  I pointed out the mathematical absurdity and was lambasted, with someone saying that whether I chose to believe it or not doesn't mean it's not true.  Another asked why I thought kids were never allowed to wear Halloween masks to school.  I figure this is all really helpful in helping me to cut morons out of my social circle.

Edited by Syllieann
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 7

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

I guess not.  

I had people who haven't spoken to me in years and years, who decided now was the time to come out and tell me how stupid, duped, brainwashed, and believing a lie from satan I am for believing masks help.   They also said they aren't quarantining, it doesn't work, and they will not give up their freedoms for this "left wing conspiracy."

Two of them were in my former homeschool group, I haven't seen or spoken to them in about 7 years, so they were easy to delete as friends.

The 3rd I have known since high school and her sister was in my class.  She hasn't posted on my timeline EVER, but has chosen this time to come on and blast me.

I’d say it’s time to clean up that ‘friend’ list!😉😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gobblygook said:

Between the lack of civility and the new homeschoolers who think they can buy an all-in-one workbook at Costco and use it as their complete curriculum, I am about ready to drop Facebook, too. 

I agree!  

Though in their defense I'm about to throw my 15 years of homeschooling experience out the window and go full on unschooler.  My kids have pretty much been feral this summer with virtually no friend interaction and limited screen time, they've had to run the backyard and figure out what to do.  I'm tired of occupying everyone!

• Like 6

Can you share the article here? 

I've had to snooze several people. And there are some people I believe I may well avoid after this is all over. But right now, I just snooze them so I can go look at their pages sometimes to read any non-political posts they have. I liked them originally. I thought they were nice originally. And maybe they will be again. 

• Like 5

And it's not just on FB. It has spread into just about every online forum or platform.

I am not upset with people having a differing opinion but it's alarming to see how true debate seems to be a thing of the past. Very few people seem capable or willing to engage in civil discussion about any topic without resorting to sarcasm, belittling or outright accusations. Everyone has the one true source for - insert any blank - and we shouldn't dare to debate it.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

I guess not.  

Oh dear! Sounds like this was your first encounter with the mask debate. It’s been a vicious debate for a couple of months now.  I’m surprised this is your first encounter with it...but then again, if this is your first mask post that’s why. I’ve posted mask articles for a couple of months now and have seen the backlash building in that time. Once in a while I still post a mask article, but I know that I’ll get flack for it and I’m prepared for it.

There have been other issues where I post something that I think is pretty reasonable and people come out of the woodwork to tell me why it’s so wrong or to get mad about it. 

But I’m also guilty of seeing something completely nonsensical and then replying to it. I have been careful not to reply to people that I don’t talk to IRL or haven’t had a FB relationship with before now. But if it’s someone that I usually respond to and they post some sort of crazy stuff, I sometimes find myself responding to their post. 

13 minutes ago, OneThoughtMayHideAnother said:

I just wish more people thought for themselves. 

Everyone says that, though.  In fact, that’s *the* comeback that most conspiracy believers use. 

I’m getting close to leaving FB or just unfriending just about everyone. I can’t quite make myself leave and I’m not sure why. It’s sort of like I’m afraid to take my eyes of it.  Like, if there is a scary spider in the house and I need to catch it, I try to keep my eye on it so I know where it’s hiding while I go get a cup to catch it in.  That’s what FB feels like to me now: a scary spider that I need to keep an eye on so I’m ready for whatever craziness happens next in this world.  But that’s not really a healthy way to live.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Syllieann said:

In it, it claimed that a child is 66,000 times more likely to be a trafficking victim than to contract covid.  

That's just painful. 

31 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

But did the word sheeple come up?   🤪🙄    

There's a tweet that says, in part: 'Sheep' is a strange insult for Christians to use. 

22 minutes ago, OneThoughtMayHideAnother said:

my husband got yelled at and called a right-wing nut

but now, apparently, it makes us left-wing conspiracy theorists. 

Y'all are very versatile. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

18 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

It is very sad to me. Because it has been made political and not just based on facts and science people are risking their lives and everyone's life too.

I posted something I found the other day about how people are seeing the scientific method play out in real time, and how they’re confused by the trial and error approach to science and conclude that the experts “don’t know what they’re talking about.”

People commented to tell me that the entire scientific community is to blame for this for reasons, all sorts of reasons, for why the people in science aren’t to be trusted. (Bias, money, politics, agendas, etc.)

So basically, there’s a group of people who simply Will Not Believe what scientists have to say because they 100% believe that science is all biased, money seeking, political, and following some sort of secret agenda. The more you share with them something that a doctor/scientists has discovered, the more they will disbelieve it.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 7
  • Sad 4

5 minutes ago, Garga said:

I posted something I found the other day about how people are seeing the scientific method play out, and how they’re confused by the trial and error approach to science and conclude that the experts “don’t know what they’re talking about.”

People commented to tell me that the entire scientific community is to blame for this for reasons, all sorts of reasons for why the people in science aren’t to be trusted. (Bias, money, politics, agendas, etc.)

So basically, there’s a group of people who simply Will Not Believe what scientists have to say because they 100% believe that science is all biased, money seeking, political, and following some sort of secret agenda. The more you share with them something that a doctor/scientists has discovered, the more they will disbelieve it.

Wow.  That is the only thing I can say.  I don't have time to argue that. But it scares me that people around me are thinking that.  Fine believe what you want in your home, but it terrifies me that my health can be impacted by people believing that way.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Wow.  That is the only thing I can say.  I don't have time to argue that. But it scares me that people around me are thinking that.  Fine believe what you want in your home, but it terrifies me that my health can be impacted by people believing that way.

Well said.  I find this scares me too.

• Like 4

I have friends who share questionable, at best, things. 
If you point out that isn't a reliable source at all, the response is that is just the establishment attacking them. Even when the evidence goes pretty far back this person is a nut case.
If you site other sources, reports, experts; then those sources/experts/reports are paid for by fill-in-the-blank (mostly Big Pharma right now) and so you can't trust them.
If you point out issues with their letters/reports/etc; they will point out those studies that disprove their letter have been altered. No evidence mind you. 
If you point out any factual website (like Worldometer), they will counter with the fact those numbers are being falsified (because a friend of a friend's brother died in a motorcycle accident but the cause of death was listed as COVID).
I think everyone ignored my article on excess deaths (because it shows if anything, they are under counting COVID deaths)

But, on the plus side, my comments did have one person take down a thoroughly stupid post.
I love the snooze feature. However, I've started to not make comments when they first show up in my feed again. I'm pretty sure someone is going to notice the fact I only comment every 30 days! 

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

26 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

And it's not just on FB. It has spread into just about every online forum or platform.

I am not upset with people having a differing opinion but it's alarming to see how true debate seems to be a thing of the past. Very few people seem capable or willing to engage in civil discussion about any topic without resorting to sarcasm, belittling or outright accusations. Everyone has the one true source for - insert any blank - and we shouldn't dare to debate it.

But this too goes both (or all) ways. All too often I see someone trying to debate/defend a not-widely-held opinion, and then the person gets all huffy when a bunch of people push back. If I have a not popular opinion about something and two dozen people have a differing opinion then yeah, it's going to feel like I'm being bullied or people are piling on or whatever. But that comes with the territory of defending something that's not widely held. So be it.

• Like 5

Wow, that's incredible OP.  I have no, absolutely NO understanding of that kind of attitude at all.  It's repulsive to me.  And it seems like the minute you begin to think it's all about you and your freedoms, you completely miss the whole main point of Christ's message.  (I assume they're Christians since they're talking about Satan?)

And yet I bet those same people would have a big problem with a woman deciding to walk around a busy public square topless.

• Like 7

Based on public behavior, I’m not very surprised how bad FB can be.

My kid got called a naughty word for asking a customer to put a mask on yesterday. (State mandated.). I got stuck in a tiny store with two unmasked young men who, to me, it felt like they were trying to intentionally get up in my space while talking to each other after I had stepped back several times as they zig zagged through narrow spaces. (I will no longer be using that store.)

People have literally been assaulted for enforcing customer safety. I don’t want to catch the virus OR catch hands, so I’m forced to limit where I can go. My freedom doesn’t matter to jerks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

7 minutes ago, Bambam said:

I have friends who share questionable, at best, things. 
If you point out that isn't a reliable source at all, the response is that is just the establishment attacking them. Even when the evidence goes pretty far back this person is a nut case.
If you site other sources, reports, experts; then those sources/experts/reports are paid for by fill-in-the-blank (mostly Big Pharma right now) and so you can't trust them.
If you point out issues with their letters/reports/etc; they will point out those studies that disprove their letter have been altered. No evidence mind you. 
If you point out any factual website (like Worldometer), they will counter with the fact those numbers are being falsified (because a friend of a friend's brother died in a motorcycle accident but the cause of death was listed as COVID).
I think everyone ignored my article on excess deaths (because it shows if anything, they are under counting COVID deaths)

But, on the plus side, my comments did have one person take down a thoroughly stupid post (death rate was like .5% and the average age in Italy is 80). 

I love the snooze feature. However, I've started to not make comments when they first show up in my feed again. I'm pretty sure someone is going to notice the fact I only comment every 30 days! 

This is exactly what I see from certain types of FB friends.  I have most of them all on snooze right now because I just can’t stop myself from commenting on their stuff when I see it. Better for me not to see it and then I’m not tempted to comment.  Commenting is pointless, as you outlined above.  

I’ve been very surprised through all this to see how many people think this way.  Before recently, I honestly thought that most people were pretty moderate and reasonable and relatively intelligent, so I’ve been shocked to find that I was wrong.  Certainly, not everyone is unable to think critically, but there are more than I’d thought there were.  

• Like 12

3 hours ago, DawnM said:

I guess not.  

I’m sorry!

And at the same time, Thank you! 

I think you may be in same state as where I have some older at risk relatives (who do mask, but need others to do so for their protection too), so I hope you will not entirely give up trying.

I get to be double unpopular since I am both in favor of masks and of Hydroxychloroquine, so both “sides” seem to want to attack me.  Sigh. I feel your pain. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Garga said:

This is exactly what I see from certain types of FB friends.  I have most of them all on snooze right now because I just can’t stop myself from commenting on their stuff when I see it. Better for me not to see it and then I’m not tempted to comment.  Commenting is pointless, as you outlined above.  

I’ve been very surprised through all this to see how many people think this way.  Before recently, I honestly thought that most people were pretty moderate and reasonable and relatively intelligent, so I’ve been shocked to find that I was wrong.  Certainly, not everyone is unable to think critically, but there are more than I’d thought there were.  

Yes, I have been very surprised too.  Blown away.   I guess it is a positive to learn that about people.   But it is exhausting, scary, and sad too.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Garga said:

This is EXACTLY what I am seeing. And it's making me crazy. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Syllieann said:

I am finding that a very large percentage of local homeschoolers buy into the pseudoscience and conspiracy theories against masking and isolating.  Needless to say, we are not attending even a simple outdoor activity with any other homeschool families.  Last week someone from my homeschool group posted the stupid thing about masks helping out child traffickers.  In it, it claimed that a child is 66,000 times more likely to be a trafficking victim than to contract covid.  I pointed out the mathematical absurdity and was lambasted, with someone saying that whether I chose to believe it or not doesn't mean it's not true.  Another asked why I thought kids were never allowed to wear Halloween masks to school.  I figure this is all really helpful in helping me to cut morons out of my social circle.

Does anyone know of any way that anti-masking, anti-vaccine, and anti-human trafficking are all connected besides QAnon/Plandemic? Is that the only common denominator? The anti-child trafficking stuff has come out of the woodwork, and I would've been really cool with/excited about that until I found out that there is a lot of conspiracy theory there too (pizzagate). Friends that are more moderate in what they post but definitely tiptoeing around conspiracy theories have been posting things like, "Click on these hashtags to see what Facebook has banned," claiming that these are sites being shut down because they are anti-child and human trafficking, but pizzagate is listed as a hashtag along with the others. I haven't looked up the others because I am concerned they will be more conspiracy theories or creepy links.

Some of the people I blocked early on when I realized they were spouting QAnon rhetoric are BIG into anti-trafficking stuff, but I didn't realize until recently that that leads to a conspiracy theory rabbit hole as well. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Pen said:

I get to be double unpopular since I am both in favor of masks and of Hydroxychloroquine, so both “sides” seem to want to attack me.  Sigh. I feel your pain. 

If you have good data on preferably a double blind peer reviewed study on hydrox. many people would be happy to re-evaluate and be wrong.  There are still studies happening, we'll see.

I know people involved in the one double blind U of MN study  that  showed it ineffective.  Local health care workers and doctors at the research university were initially very  excited for this possibility and none are talking about it now.  I got to follow this study fairly closely because I am alum out of their science/tech area.  

Anyway - conflating conspiracy theorists without reputable sources with those who are weighing the best science we have at the moment (which is constantly evolving) isn't super helpful.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

If you have good data on preferably a double blind peer reviewed study on hydrox. many people would be happy to re-evaluate and be wrong.  There are still studies happening, we'll see.

I know people involved in the one double blind U of MN study  that  showed it ineffective.  Local health care workers and doctors at the research university were initially very  excited for this possibility and none are talking about it now.  I got to follow this study fairly closely because I am alum out of their science/tech area.  

Anyway - conflating conspiracy theorists without reputable sources with those who are weighing the best science we have at the moment (which is constantly evolving) isn't super helpful.  

I do not even have a double blind random control study for HCQ for malaria.  Nonetheless, especially when I lived in tropics I was glad to have it available. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Pen said:

I do not even have a double blind random control study for HCQ for malaria.  Nonetheless, especially when I lived in tropics I was glad to have it available. 

I've used it for malaria myself for exotic travel, but that doesn't really tell me anything about  it's effectiveness for covid.  

• Like 3

A couple of my friends got together for a distanced picnic. They've been friends for more than a decade. Friend A was like, trying to make sure they didn't come too close, had a mask for her walk home. Friend B berated her for it throughout. What an idiot she was. How duped she was. Did any of those mask studies she mentioned pass a triple blind scientific test? Huh? And had she seen the latest about Bill Gates? Huh? And didn't she know that the CDC was controlled and that no media sources were actually reliable? Did she?

Both friends are liberal. Friend A is not that political and was just like, look, I'm just trying to be reasonable, I'm not telling you what to do. Friend B is a bit on the fringes as a believer in astrology-like stuff, but has always been mostly laid back. Friend A kept trying to diffuse. She walked away, like, wtf just happened there?!? They haven't spoken yet since, but B didn't go to an outdoor event that she had said she'd be at where she would have seen A. Sigh.

It's... conspiracy thinking. You can't argue. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

20 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Does anyone know of any way that anti-masking, anti-vaccine, and anti-human trafficking are all connected besides QAnon/Plandemic? Is that the only common denominator? The anti-child trafficking stuff has come out of the woodwork, and I would've been really cool with/excited about that until I found out that there is a lot of conspiracy theory there too (pizzagate). Friends that are more moderate in what they post but definitely tiptoeing around conspiracy theories have been posting things like, "Click on these hashtags to see what Facebook has banned," claiming that these are sites being shut down because they are anti-child and human trafficking, but pizzagate is listed as a hashtag along with the others. I haven't looked up the others because I am concerned they will be more conspiracy theories or creepy links.

Some of the people I blocked early on when I realized they were spouting QAnon rhetoric are BIG into anti-trafficking stuff, but I didn't realize until recently that that leads to a conspiracy theory rabbit hole as well. 

I've seen that increasingly advocates against the real problem of trafficking are starting to get worried about the problems that the conspiracies are going to lead to for their cause. Trafficking is a real issue that happens. But not at Comet Ping Pong or because of Bill Gates or thanks to the virus... Like, this conspiracy stuff may start hurting actual trafficking victims to get support - financial or political. 

• Like 12
  • Sad 3

I actually lean more in the middle to conservative than left, but I don't trust what anyone says about any of this.  And...people are nuts on both sides of the political spectrum.  I'm not on FB much at all anymore, don't even come here much anymore and I used to be on here a lot.  I'm wearing my masks and staying close to home (think Phase 1 for my house).  The world has literally gone nutso!  I've decided I can't control what anyone else does.  I'm just going to take care of my little family and my elderly folks at this point.  People are just mean with no filter!!!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, square_25 said:

What's the point of trusting no one, though? Find some people you respect and can fact check about verifiable stuff, then use them cautiously. You can't figure everything out from scratch, unfortunately. 

Yes, I should clarify!  I don't trust ANY political figure at this point.  Everyone has an agenda.  I do go on a few threads here that are good and read scientific info.  I do keep up with things.  But...while everyone is figuring it all out, I'm keeping my family safe as best I can.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I've seen that increasingly advocates against the real problem of trafficking are starting to get worried about the problems that the conspiracies are going to lead to for their cause. Trafficking is a real issue that happens. But not at Comet Ping Pong or because of Bill Gates or thanks to the virus... Like, this conspiracy stuff may start hurting actual trafficking victims to get support - financial or political. 

I have worried about this as well.

Trafficking is a serious issue that is not going to benefit from conspiracy theory amplification.

• Like 11

1 minute ago, square_25 said:

My ex-friend around here is liberal, too. She basically decided we aren't friends anymore because I thought it wasn't a hoax. She isn't masking and she's going to be running in-person classes in the fall. 

She's not an anti-vaccine person, weirdly enough, but she did spread a lot of conspiratorial stuff about what happens at the schools around here. (It's always 35 kids per class! No one ever learns anything! Did you know they aren't allowed to change diapers at preschool anymore??) So I suppose it's not that surprising, but I did think the anti-vaccine people would be worse, and they aren't. 

Some of my anti-vax friends have always been pretty moderate. They've been very mum. They're all wearing masks. One anti-vax friend who is hardcore, no reasoning with her, she also decided that chemo is evil and no one should get treated for cancer... she's been masking and being very reasonable, which shocked me. But all my other anti-vax friends seem like they joined a much crazier strain. They're straight up posting lizard people stuff. Full on.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

2 hours ago, Bambam said:

Can you share the article here? 

I've had to snooze several people. And there are some people I believe I may well avoid after this is all over. But right now, I just snooze them so I can go look at their pages sometimes to read any non-political posts they have. I liked them originally. I thought they were nice originally. And maybe they will be again. 

I can when I get home.  I am currently at work and it won't let me access it.  You can google is:  Sam Laucks, Retired Surgeon on wearing masks

4 hours ago, FuzzyCatz said:

But did the word sheeple come up?   🤪🙄   So over this anti science conspiracy garbage.  

Also, the whole "wake up" thing when they want you to wake up to some outlandish conspiracy but they aren't waking up to an actual real virus. It makes my head hurt!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

Some of my anti-vax friends have always been pretty moderate. They've been very mum. They're all wearing masks. One anti-vax friend who is hardcore, no reasoning with her, she also decided that chemo is evil and no one should get treated for cancer... she's been masking and being very reasonable, which shocked me. But all my other anti-vax friends seem like they joined a much crazier strain. They're straight up posting lizard people stuff. Full on.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of my family posted lizard people stuff because they all think it is the funniest crazy conspiracy.  And then we start laughing that the Gorn are invading Earth.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indigo Blue said:

I hear “wake up” a lot. Wake up and do what exactly? Just sitting around worrying over things that will never happen just makes no sense. And even if the apocalyptic fantasy does come true, what then? You can only prepare and worry to a certain point.  I’ve heard of militia groups trying to establish themselves in our county. What are they so afraid of? They just run around in the woods shooting at imaginary targets. Then they clean their guns and drink some beer. Maybe run around in the woods some more. If something major happened, what exactly are they going to be able to do? I know this sounds smarty pants, but I don’t mean for it to. I just honestly do not understand. 

Me either! The other thing that confuses me is that several friends have said  "we can't live in fear" when I've expressed concern about the pandemic, but then they post all these crazy conspiracies that they are terrified of and it seems like they are living in way greater fear than I am!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

AtEvery single person in our local homeschool group is a conspiracy theorist. We lost all our friends here because they think covid is a hoax and will not be careful. It was like someone activated their Borg programming, because everyone of them started spouting the same nonsense at the same time. Oh, and they don't think that George Floyd is dead, either.  That is a conspiracy, along with the coin shortage. 

I don't think these are relationships I want to try to preserve. How do you trust and respect people who believe lunacy? I can be civil with them, but I don't want to be around people who call me names behind my back because I don't believe in conspiracy theories.

• Like 4
  • Sad 6

Well, I just got notified that my 96 year old grandmother tested positive after being briefly hospitalized for something unrelated last week.  I could hardly stand to deal with these nuts before, but I was able to blow it off as "can't teach pigs to sing" and move on with my life.  Now that it is personal and unlikely to end well I think I need to permanently cut contact so I don't physically hurt them when they tell me to do my "research" or to "wake up" and stop believing all the lies.

• Sad 23

Was this the quote?

It sure does seem to be benign—  found by googling Sam Lauks Masks: 

“I have spent the past 39 years working in the field of surgery. For a significant part of that time, I have worn a mask. I have worked with hundreds (probably thousands) of colleagues during those years, who have also worn masks. Not a single one us of became ill, passed out or died from lack of oxygen. Not a single one of us became ill, passed out or died from breathing too much carbon dioxide. Not a single one us of became ill, passed out or died from rebreathing a little of our own exhaled air. Let’s begin here by putting those scare tactics to rest!

“(It is true that some people, with advanced lung diseases, may be so fragile that a mask could make their already-tenuous breathing more difficult. If your lungs are that bad, you probably shouldn’t be going out in public at the present time anyway; the consequences if you are exposed to Covid-19 would likely be devastating.)”

?

• Like 5

Shared from Watmed Media:

This is the article I posted:

RETIRED SURGEON Sam Laucks, has this to say about wearing masks:
“OK, here’s my rant about masks:
I have spent the past 39 years working in the field of surgery. For a significant part of that time, I have worn a mask. I have worked with hundreds (probably thousands) of colleagues during those years, who have also worn masks. Not a single one us of became ill, passed out or died from lack of oxygen. Not a single one of us became ill, passed out or died from breathing too much carbon dioxide. Not a single one us of became ill, passed out or died from rebreathing a little of our own exhaled air. Let’s begin here by putting those scare tactics to rest!
(It is true that some people, with advanced lung diseases, may be so fragile that a mask could make their already-tenuous breathing more difficult. If your lungs are that bad, you probably shouldn’t be going out in public at the present time anyway; the consequences if you are exposed to Covid-19 would likely be devastating.)
~ “But”, you ask, “can’t viruses go right through the mask, because they are so small?” (“Masks keep viruses out just as well as a chain link fence keeps mosquitoes out,” some tell us.) It is true that individual virus particles can pass through the pores of a mask; however, viruses don’t move on their own. They do not fly across the room like a mosquito, wiggle through your mask like a worm, or fly up your nose like a gnat. The virus is essentially nothing more than a tiny blob of genetic material. Covid-19 travels in a CARRIER – the carrier is a fluid droplet- fluid droplets that you expel when you cough, sneeze, sing, laugh, talk or simply exhale. Most of your fluid droplets will be stopped from entering the air in the room if you are wearing a mask. Wearing a mask is a very efficient way to protect others if you are carrying the virus (even if you don’t know that you are infected). In addition, if someone else’s fluid droplets happen to land on your mask, many of them will not pass through. This gives the wearer some additional protection, too. But, the main reason to wear a mask is to PROTECT OTHERS. Even if you don’t care about yourself, wear your mask to protect your neighbors, co-workers and friends!
~ A mask is certainly not 100% protective. However, it appears that the severity of Covid-19 infection is at least partially “dose-dependent.” In other words, the more virus particles that enter your body, the sicker you are likely to become. Why not decrease that volume if you can? “What have you got to lose?!”
~ “But doesn’t a requirement or a request to wear a mask violate my constitutional rights?” You’re also not allowed to go into the grocery store if you are not wearing pants. You can’t yell “fire” in the Produce Department. You’re not allowed to urinate on the floor in the Frozen Food Section. Do you object to those restrictions? Rules, established for the common good, are component of a civilized society.
~ “But aren’t masks uncomfortable?” Some would say that underwear or shoes can be uncomfortable, but we still wear them. (Actually, being on a ventilator is pretty darned uncomfortable, too!) Are masks really so bad that you can’t tolerate them, even if they will help keep others healthy?
~ “But won’t people think I’m a snowflake or a wimp if I wear a mask?” I hope you have enough self-confidence to overcome that.
~ “But won’t I look stupid if I wear a mask?” I’ve decided not to dignify that question with an answer!! 🙂
~ “But I never get sick; I’m not worried.” Well, then, wear a mask for the sake of the rest of us who are not so perfect!
There is good evidence that masks make a real difference in diminishing the transmission of Covid-19. Please, for the sake of others (and for the sake of yourself), wear your mask when in public. It won’t kill you!
P.S. - And, by the way, please be sure that BOTH your nose and mouth are covered!
Recommendations around mask usage are confusing. The science isn't. Evidence shows that masks are extremely effective to slow the coronavirus and may be the best tool available right now to fight it.”

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Wasn’t that 97,000 kids in US in just the last two weeks of July as camps and schools and sports and private gatherings etc were getting going?   Or was it a cumulative number?

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

Weirdly, I got absolutely eaten alive on facebook for posting sympathetically early on about grocery clerks who were not allowed to wear masks because management thought it would scare customers away.  I thought it should be up to the clerks, and was roundly insulted over and over on my own wall.  

Honestly, people have lost their minds.  They say things online that they would never say IRL.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

25 minutes ago, DawnM said:

So if my idiotic FB un-friend is correct and there are 66,000 child trafficking victims for each child who contracts covid, then I guess we have 6.4 billion child trafficking victims in the same amount of time.  Excuse me, I need to go smash my head into the wall now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4