Menu

Need Help!!! Please with 12th grader

I have a nephew who will be homeschooling this year because his school is going virtual - family just found out. He learns quickly, but needs guidance and accountability. He has taken quite a few AP classes in English, Science, and History. I'm trying to help him find course materials and classes for this school year. He only needs a few classes to graduate, but I think he wants to use this year to maximize his learning. He had indicated that there wasn't much learning from March until the end of the school year and he isn't willing to risk have limited education/learning for this year. 

He is interested in medical school and is hoping I could help him find course materials or a live class that would progress his learning in medicine. My suggestions to him were medical terminology class or a genetics class. Any ideas are MOST welcome!! I love my nephew and want to help him in any way I can. 

WRITING now... I think he would prefer a live writing class. I looked at Write at Home and Bravewriter, but both are asynchronous online classes. Royal Fireworks has a couple of options, but they are kind of pricey. MANY classes are already full, which I completely understand. Any ideas about live online writing classes? He can do a  research paper  type class or even a literature class with composition. He LOVES to read and is wanting to read a ton of good books this year. I might create a separate thread requesting a list of good upper high school level books for him to read. He would APPRECIATE that. Reading 20-30 books in one school year would  count toward  English credit, correct? Would he have to write a paper for some of the books, or is reading them sufficient? 

MATH...we are looking at Derek Owens's calculus class. Any other options for calculus? He has a few learning gaps in this subject because of the pandemic, so good instruction and materials would be great! 

HISTORY...he would love to learn about the ancients this year. He's most interested in Ancient Greece and its history. I would LOVE your ideas about how to approach this. I was looking at SWB's The History of the Ancient World. Would this be too easy for a 12th grader? I actually have the books at home for him to view. I was also looking at the Lukeion Project. I have met the directors at a couple of conferences. They are awesome and their love for teaching their subjects is inspiring to me. I am a little concerned about having too many rigorous options for my nephew. He's never homeschooled before, and I want him to feel it's manageable and that it can his interest. 

THANK YOU!!!

I would not do a BW class for an advanced high school student who has done AP exams. It won't be... much. It'll feel like a trifle. Not worth the price.

The cost of the RFP classes are in keeping for live online courses for high school. That's just... how it is. If that's the format he wants/needs, then that's what they need to pay to get a decent product.

If you're east coast or central time, he could join my European history and lit class. 😉 Seriously, it'll be a high quality class - we'll do ancient Greece and Rome for a quarter. If you're interested, you can PM me.

But there are lots of other options. AIM Academy still has openings. Some PA Homeschoolers classes are still open. There are a few AP's on Outschool, believe it or not, but the quality is unclear to me, though there's an AP Gov class I've heard good things about. He can self-study for an AP using UC Scout or even (ugh) study.com. Blue Tent has a really good Anatomy and Physiology that is still open.

I have had a slew of consulting clients for my college counseling business in similar states in the last week. Whatever he's going to do, he needs to ACT FAST. Like, ASAP now if he wants the option of doing any quality online classes. And the family needs to recognize that these cost $$$.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 1
33 minutes ago, bfw0729 said:

WRITING now... I think he would prefer a live writing class. I looked at Write at Home and Bravewriter, but both are asynchronous online classes. Royal Fireworks has a couple of options, but they are kind of pricey. MANY classes are already full, which I completely understand. Any ideas about live online writing classes? He can do a  research paper  type class or even a literature class with composition. He LOVES to read and is wanting to read a ton of good books this year. I might create a separate thread requesting a list of good upper high school level books for him to read. He would APPRECIATE that. Reading 20-30 books in one school year would  count toward  English credit, correct? Would he have to write a paper for some of the books, or is reading them sufficient? 

There's a senior thesis class at MPOA that might fit the bill for this. It's taught by Dr. Dray. Dd had him for First Form Latin back in fifth grade and loved his class. He keeps an online synchronous class engaging. 

https://www.memoriapressacademy.com/catalog?pagename=thesis-spring

HISTORY...he would love to learn about the ancients this year. He's most interested in Ancient Greece and its history. I would LOVE your ideas about how to approach this. I was looking at SWB's The History of the Ancient World. Would this be too easy for a 12th grader? I actually have the books at home for him to view. I was also looking at the Lukeion Project. I have met the directors at a couple of conferences. They are awesome and their love for teaching their subjects is inspiring to me. I am a little concerned about having too many rigorous options for my nephew. He's never homeschooled before, and I want him to feel it's manageable and that it can his interest. 

There are lots of Great Courses that would complement HOTAW. Your library may have some or you can look for sales. (Never, ever pay full price. They all go on sale. They also have a monthly subscription if he wants to do some science or lit courses too.)

THANK YOU!!!

Edited by chiguirre
55 minutes ago, bfw0729 said:

WRITING now... I think he would prefer a live writing class.

For writing, check out my class Logical Communication — all live, interactive, with lots of in-depth reading and discussion of extraordinary essays — but my courses are pricey, and this class is three-quarters full right now.

59 minutes ago, bfw0729 said:

HISTORY...he would love to learn about the ancients this year.

This is not a history course, but history-based literature course: History & Literature of the Middle Ages. — Lots of close reading and discussion, but again, my courses are pricey.

Good luck to you & your nephew. You sound like a great aunt!

—Roy

Potter's School might be an option. I noticed they have this class.  https://www.pottersschool.org/course/list/#course-3464

I don't know anything about it, but they are known for good writing instruction. We took classes there this last year for 7th and 8th and had a good experience. YMMV. They do require placement tests. They also have several AP classes and other English lit/comp classes.

English 5/6 College CompositionID:  Cost is $498
This course teaches students ten standard composition styles, reviews core grammar and usage concepts, and develops research methods, critical reading, and rhetorical analysis. Through interactive lectures, rough-draft review activities, peer and teacher feedback, and timed-writing activities, students will fine-tune their reading, writing, and communication skills to build a firm foundation for college study. The course will also familiarize students with three writing formats required at the university level: MLA, APA, and Turabian/Chicago. This course is developed based on review of the content from the first-year writing course required in ten top colleges, and so its credits should be readily transferable to most colleges and universities.
College Credit: This course is pre-approved for college credit (Belhaven ENG 101, 3 credits). Upon successful completion of this course, the student may apply for a college transcript from Belhaven University for this course. These transcripted credits may be transferred to other colleges. More information is here. (2) This course is taught at a college level with a university transcript. Student should be entering grade 11 or 12 based on graduation year and overall curriculum to enroll in this course.

Writing
I'd look towards college dual enrollment of WRT101 and WRT102; that would knock out 2 required gen. ed. courses in advance of going to college, and since he's done AP English (college level), I have a hard time picturing any high school writing course will be at his advanced level and be able to help him progress further... OR, perhaps a technical writing course?? OR, perhaps hire a local tutor who could challenge him and help him progress further in his post-high school level...?

Literature
A list of 20-30 books is quite rigorous, esp. if they are all longer classics with older language and sentence structure. But if he reads at that level and needs that volume to be challenged, sure, go for it. If planning to do more than just read for box-checking or familiarity with books -- in other words, if you are planning to discuss/analyze/write about some of the works -- then yes, writing a literary analysis essay on each of a few works would be a good idea. Also, if planning to take time to dig deeper (even if just discussing/analyzing, and learning about literature topics and the background info of the author/times) -- beyond just reading -- then 12-15 full-length works would be plenty -- or even just 8-10 works if also planning to cover some short stories, plays, and poetry. That would still be a more rigorous pace than the typical average high school class where 4-6 books are covered in a year.

Math
Derek Owens is a great choice. For supplementing/filling in gaps Khan Academy free videos are the good ol' stand-by recommendation. 😉 

History
Lukieon is a great rigorous choice. 
If Christian perspective is okay, Roman Roads Media offers a 1-year Ancient Greek History & Literature study, with video lectures. They also offer this as a live 1-year class, worth 3 credits, 1 credit each in History, Literature, and Philosophy. 

Science/Medical
Teaching Company Great Courses -- your local library might have some of interest for FREE check-out; get a text to go along and make this a "DIY" course.
Check out the medical course offerings from Coursera, both free and for a fee (and a certificate of completion).
Another option might be to dual enroll (or go through a NOHLS or other course provider) and get EMT training and certification.

Edited by Lori D.

Clover Valley Chemistry has an Organic Chemistry/Biochemistry class.  Since you mentioned he's interested in going to med school and has had several AP science classes.  If he's taken AP Chem, he may be interested in this class.

• Like 2

Thank you, thank you!!! I have looked at all of your recommendations. I really appreciate it! I seem to have great options for English and History. 

With regards to science, I found that Royal Fireworks Press has a Genetics course. I *think* it's one semester long. I contacted the company a couple of times  and waiting for an answer.  It looks like a very interesting course and the instructor seems WELL credentialed! If it's one semester, then maybe he can take something related to the history of medicine or medical terminology. I thought this book seemed interesting, and along with a good medical terminology book/curriculum, he could satisfy another 1/2 credit https://cathyduffyreviews.com/homeschool-reviews-core-curricula/science/topical-areas/biology-and-life-science/medical-investigation-101#

I would look at what gen eds he could do at your local CC.  I know they may not be the highest quality, but ours allows homeschoolers to take any class,  so he could do medical terminology, Anatomy, etc.  Of course that all depends on your local options and shat classes are still open. 

8 hours ago, bfw0729 said:

I have a nephew who will be homeschooling this year because his school is going virtual - family just found out. He learns quickly, but needs guidance and accountability. He has taken quite a few AP classes in English, Science, and History. I'm trying to help him find course materials and classes for this school year. He only needs a few classes to graduate, but I think he wants to use this year to maximize his learning. He had indicated that there wasn't much learning from March until the end of the school year and he isn't willing to risk have limited education/learning for this year. 

He is interested in medical school and is hoping I could help him find course materials or a live class that would progress his learning in medicine. My suggestions to him were medical terminology class or a genetics class. Any ideas are MOST welcome!! I love my nephew and want to help him in any way I can.

Someone else recommended my Organic Chem class - thank you to the recommender! 🙂 

I originally created the course for my daughter when we were homeschooling because she wanted to eventually apply to med school.  She's now a rising junior at university (and will be writing the MCAT for the first time in January) and she told me that taking some organic chem and biochem in high school with me really helped her when she took those classes at university. 🙂 

If the OP would like to pass this link on to her nephew, he can see what he thinks.

https://clovervalleychemistry.com/introduction-to-organic-chemistry-biochemistry/

If you or your nephew (or anyone else!) has any questions, let me know!

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Dicentra said:

Someone else recommended my Organic Chem class - thank you to the recommender! 🙂 

I originally created the course for my daughter when we were homeschooling because she wanted to eventually apply to med school.  She's now a rising junior at university (and will be writing the MCAT for the first time in January) and she told me that taking some organic chem and biochem in high school with me really helped her when she took those classes at university. 🙂 

If the OP would like to pass this link on to her nephew, he can see what he thinks.

https://clovervalleychemistry.com/introduction-to-organic-chemistry-biochemistry/

If you or your nephew (or anyone else!) has any questions, let me know!

Oh, thank you! I definitely am forwarding this to him!

I quickly scanned, but what is the cost of the class? Are all of the assignments graded by you? How involved is the parent? 

Edited by bfw0729
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, bfw0729 said:

I quickly scanned, but what is the cost of the class? Are all of the assignments graded by you? How involved is the parent? 

whatever she charges, it's surely worth it.  seriously.  DD took her Honors Chem (not OChem, but same teacher) class last year as a Sophomore.  She worked HARD, especially studying for the final, but she learned a ton and it ranks as her most favorite class thus far. Assignments and lectures were good, teacher is engaging, class was well organized, assignments came back quickly with usable feedback. Assignments are graded by the instructor - no parent involvement was required except 'proctoring' the exams.

DD is taking AP Chem this year 100% because she had such a good experience last year in CVChem.  I am confident the OChem class would be equally high quality.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, square_25 said:

Is he good at math? If you want a hard math class, Art of Problem Solving runs them. (Disclosure: I teach for them. But they really are high-level classes.) 

He is pretty good at math. He should be in Calc BC this year, but he feels there are holes in his learning because of the pandemic. He  started in precalculus last year then moved up into Calc AB after Christmas. His counselor recommended for him to continue to move forward into BC, but he declined.  I have looked at AoPS for him. It's definitely on the list to show him. 

I know a bit about AoPS - my daughter is using their prealgebra book.  On a side note...I likely will be outsourcing the algebra class for her. She is slated to complete the book by October. I wish AoPs had a self-paced algebra class like they do for prealgebra. I then could sign her up midyear.  Is this something they are working on? Only asking because you teach for them!

16 hours ago, txhsmom said:

Clover Valley Chemistry has an Organic Chemistry/Biochemistry class.  Since you mentioned he's interested in going to med school and has had several AP science classes.  If he's taken AP Chem, he may be interested in this class.

Another vote for orgo! Organic Chemistry tends to be a stumbling block for a lot of premed students. I've heard so many stories of kids abandoning the idea of going into medicine after getting "weeded out" with a difficult orgo class in college. Getting some exposure in high school so that he won't be intimidated when he takes it in college is a great idea.

My oldest son took Organic Chemistry as a part of his dual enrollment coursework and absolutely loved it. As an additional side benefit, he feels that it helped him a lot with his spatial abilities. Clover Valley Chemistry is likely a great option. I missed the boat on these classes with my older son (I didn't discover them in time!), but my middle son is taking Honors Chemistry with her this year. Everything looks fabulous so far!

• Like 1

I forgot about his fine arts class. He needs a 1/2 credit. He wants a simple class that won't consume too much of his time. Any ideas? He was thinking about photoshop, or at least that is the class he had signed up for at his high school.

13 hours ago, bfw0729 said:

13 hours ago, AEC said:

whatever she charges, it's surely worth it.  seriously.  DD took her Honors Chem (not OChem, but same teacher) class last year as a Sophomore.  She worked HARD, especially studying for the final, but she learned a ton and it ranks as her most favorite class thus far. Assignments and lectures were good, teacher is engaging, class was well organized, assignments came back quickly with usable feedback. Assignments are graded by the instructor - no parent involvement was required except 'proctoring' the exams.

DD is taking AP Chem this year 100% because she had such a good experience last year in CVChem.  I am confident the OChem class would be equally high quality.

The Organic Chem/Biochem course is $650 for a 36 week course.  And AEC gave a great description of grading and parent involvement. 🙂  @AEC - let your DD know that Mrs. S and Chemistry Mole say hi and that we're so excited that she's doing AP Chem!  If she wants to ask any chem questions of me during the year, she knows my email address! 🙂

13 minutes ago, Dicentra said:

The Organic Chem/Biochem course is $650 for a 36 week course.  And AEC gave a great description of grading and parent involvement. 🙂  @AEC - let your DD know that Mrs. S and Chemistry Mole say hi and that we're so excited that she's doing AP Chem!  If she wants to ask any chem questions of me during the year, she knows my email address! 🙂

Thats great to know, thank you!

Also, there is concern about how to put together a transcript. Would the family take the high school transcript up until he's pulled out and combine it with his senior year grades/transcript? I have no idea, my oldest are in 8th. Haven't crossed that road yet.

3 hours ago, bfw0729 said:

Thats great to know, thank you!

Also, there is concern about how to put together a transcript. Would the family take the high school transcript up until he's pulled out and combine it with his senior year grades/transcript? I have no idea, my oldest are in 8th. Haven't crossed that road yet.

The transcript thing is probably dependent on what his high school is willing to do and what he needs for applying to the colleges he's interested in.  @Lori D. or @Farrar might have a better idea on how to handle that.

Yes, I've done a number of high school transcripts now that are part public school and part homeschool. And I have more clients than anticipated who will need that at the end of this year. For obvious reasons.

Since he's not leaving in the middle of the year, this one is easy. All his previous school credits "transfer" to the homeschool. The homeschool transcript will list everything. They'll have to calculate GPA, etc. Common app and other apps all allow for multiple transcripts so he can also submit the school one. Since he sounds academic - parents may need to submit course descriptions and they definitely will need to write a counselor letter. They can join here and get great advice about all that. But also, they can hire someone to do it. This is what my consulting business does. And we do it for families in this sort of situation a good bit - the hardcore homeschoolers like y'all tend to DIY.

https://simplify4you.com/

• Like 1