Menu

Anyone's local school districts requiring 100% mask compliance

Shellydon

Our state is requiring masks in all schools for grades K-12. My three youngest attend public high school, and I'm hoping the school is good about reinforcing the requirement. I know the school cannot maintain 6' of social distancing, because 80% of students are returning for in-person instruction, five days a week.

I've heard through the grapevine that some private schools are deciding that they are exempt from the mandate. I'm curious to see whether the state allows that, or not.

DD18 heads off to college next week. Her school is requiring masks in public places.

• 2 weeks later...

Update-- The local district has had approximately 80% of their student return (high schools have about 1,500 students each). And the first two weeks they had 10 students identified with Covid-- so far there has been no spread from those students to other classmates. So students are still catching the virus outside of school but it appears that in school it isn't spreading. The district has 100% mask compliance. My area is generally anti-mask and citizens frequently refused to wear them even though it is mandated, but the schools are enforcing the policy and it seems to be working. 

• Like 2

On 8/13/2020 at 8:39 AM, Bookwoman said:

When we do start, there is a 100% mask requirement. Mask breaks will be given but specifically not during instruction time or while changing classes. It is suggested that breaks be done outside. We have a choice between a two-day-a-week in person hybrid model (half of the students attend Mon/Thurs and half Tues/Friday) or 100% online. So far around 20% are choosing 100% online.  Our reopening is tied to daily new cases per 100,000 in our county. Right now our county is at 1.5. We will go to 100% virtual if we get to 10 per 100,000 or sooner if the superintendent decides there is a growing risk to students. We will begin to transition from hybrid to full time in person if our rate drops below 1 and stays there for two weeks  

Now this sounds like a good, cautious reopening plan. I like that the school plans are tied to an actual rate of cases. Here in Maine, it's not so clear what would constitute a change between the Green (fully open), Yellow (hybrid), and Red (remote) plans. I'm sure everyone would feel more secure knowing the criteria for being open or closed. 

Local school opened a week ago last Friday. Everyone in person, last minute masking requirement. Last Thursday, after a week of classes, the district announced there would not be school on Friday & this week would start the A/B schedule. Half the kids are in person this week Monday thru Thursday, the other half are learning at home. Next week, they switch. I'm not sure if Friday is a teacher planning day or an "online learning" day.

Our local community college was, they switched to almost all online.  Local districts vary, some are all online, but ours has in-person with 100% mask requirement.  If your child can't mask they need to take the virtual option.  We'll see how that plays out in reality but the threat is they'll be switched to virtual if they can't comply.

Yes. Public schools will start next week with hybrid model; everyone in the building has to be masked. There will be limited masking exemptions for those with doctor note and/or special ed or 504 plans, but those kids will not receive instruction in the same buildings.

My son's university and my daughter's boarding school are both making all instruction available virtually but permitting kids to return to campus if they choose; and some classes will take place IRL as well as being live cast to the virtual learners. Anyone on any part of either campus must be masked at all times, except when they're literally in their own rooms.

Despite these precautions, based on what's already happened in schools that opened earlier than ours, we expect outbreaks will drive all of these schools back to full-time virtual within a month.  Teachers will fall ill, and there is no army of substitutes to rise and fill their hybrid-balancing technology-proficient managing-dual-classroom shoes.

The whole kabuki is an exercise in denial.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update--  My local school district has been back to in person classes for 3 weeks. There are roughly 10,000 people in the district both students and teachers. They've had 12 confirmed cases with no in classroom spread. Masks work!  I live in an area that is considered a hotspot, with a declining but still high positive rate. 

Edited by Shellydon
  • Like 5