Menu

Is your kid's college continuing the Pass/Fail option they did for spring?

Bambam

Many of the colleges here in Texas instituted a liberal pass/fail option for Spring 2020 COVID classes. Many let students decide if they wanted to switch to pass/fail for several days after final grades were posted. There didn't seem to be any limit on the number of courses you could select that option for (although usually it is severely limited). 

But, I've seen one school that is continuing that option for Fall 2020. I'm wondering if other colleges are continuing to offer that option too? The school mine are at is not continuing it, and that makes sense because you already know to be prepared for anything this semester. 

So, any other colleges offering pass/fail on an unlimited basis this Fall? What are your thoughts about this? 

I have not heard any talk about it at my university.  One reason for it in the spring is, as you mentioned, many students ended up with an experience other than what they thought they would have.  But, another reason for massive P/N grading was that faculty had started with a syllabus and grading outline that could not necessarily be followed through on in the exact way.  For example, a class may have had a large portion of a grade based upon an in-class presentation and half of the students had made their presentations and the other half had not.  Or, a portion of a grade was supposed to be a live music performance which now could not happen.

• Like 3

Neither of the schools where I'm teaching this fall are continuing the P/F option, although both offered it in the spring. In my mind, the reasons for P/F last spring were dramatic shifts in course delivery & assignments that didn't match the syllabus and for some students there was a significant negative impact. This semester, our syllabi all include language warning that all classes could go online and grading may change to accommodate that shift. Also, students without internet or computer access at home that were negatively impacted last semester are forwarded this semester.

• Like 3

DD's school never went pass/fail because it isn't accepted for some of the trades programs. They encouraged professors to be flexible, and some extended the semester to allow more time to do self-paced assignments. In the fall, I assume they will be back to regular grading, just with most classes being online with weekly TEAMS sessions. 

• Like 1