Menu

Writing with Ease and First Language Lessons

Vmatias

Hi All,

I'm a first-time homeschooling mom. I have a rising 4th grader who struggles a lot in the writing department. I saw the author's YT video talking about WWE and love the idea behind this program and how it was designed to help kids who can read but can't necessarily put down their thoughts on paper as easily or answer comprehension questions. My issue is, he should technically be in book 4 but because he struggles so much should I just put him in level 1? Since it's designed for younger students, and has shorter work, maybe he can do a couple of lessons in a day and try to breeze through it to reach his level faster. Or, will he be fine starting in a level 3? Would he miss any foundations that are covered in book 1 and 2?

Also, I was looking into FLL but I'm confused...is this book only grammar? Is it taught simultaneously with WWE? Is this a book that need to be taught from book 1 so he won't miss any important grammar lessons? I know his school taught him grammar but I'm not confident in how well it was taught or how much information he was actually retaining.

Thanks in advance!

FLL is just grammar, yes (plus some poetry memorization.) You could start him at level 3, but do have him memorize the definitions of the parts of speech as he comes to them (some of that would have typically been done in the first two levels.)

WWE has final assessments available on the website, I think, so you could use those to place where he should fit.  Level one is primarily copywork and narration.  I would probably not start a fourth grade student there unless they were very seriously behind.  Level 2 would probably be a good fit but, of course, you can check the assessments. Level 3 uses dictation, and works on clear summaries of passages. It would probably be a challenge for him.

I agree that you should probably start at level 2. Level 4 would not be a good fit because the program builds on itself. Though a lot of us who used WWE only do levels 1 to 3 as that is enough at that point. 

For grammer, if you are looking for another alternative, you could look at Jr. Analytical Grammer which is aimed at 4th to 5th grade. You can read about it here. https://cathyduffyreviews.com/homeschool-reviews-core-curricula/composition-and-grammar/ungraded-multi-level-resources-grammar/analytical-grammar

Thanks for that alternative, I'll look into that as well. I was also looking into Grammar Galaxy. My son seems to get bored easily and this book looks fun while still teaching grammar. Has anyone had any experiences with this curriculum?