Menu

Anyone using Miller Levine this year for Biology?

Me! But I am using the dragonfly edition.

I am using a schedule my friend created and modifying it.  She doesn't cover the entire text. She uses the Guided Reading and Study Workbooks and wrote her own tests.

I have created an ambitious lab schedule as well using a combination of dissections and labs from Biology Corner.

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

We are using Miller Levine this year-- the Macaw version, along with DIVE for lectures and labs (and possibly a TOPS unit for part of the lab credit), the Abeka biology text for additional reading, and reading  The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, Fatland, Dominion, and My Family and Other Animals just because we can.  😉

This is for a not-so-science-oriented freshman. 

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 3

On 8/7/2020 at 2:01 PM, Zoo Keeper said:

We are using Miller Levine the year-- the Macaw version, along with DIVE for lectures and labs (and possibly a TOPS unit for part of the lab credit), the Abeka biology text for additional reading, and reading  The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, Fatland, Dominion, and My Family and Other Animals just because we can.  😉

This is for a not-so-science-oriented freshman. 

Wow!  that sounds like a REALLY fun year.  I love your book books.   I just finished My Family and Other Animals.  It was very fun! 

• Like 1

I love hearing about all of these plans!  My plans are still not finalized because I seem to like to wait until the VERY last minute to figure everything out.  (I actually hate to procrastinate.  Science is just hard to plan for me.)

I think we are going to use the Maccaw 2012 e-text version because we already own it.   (I purchased it a long time ago.).    Does everything think that version is up to date enough?  I know a lot has been happening in the field of Biology.  

We are then going to use Experience Biology for the lectures and video based labs.  (There are a LOT of labs!).   That program also comes with some comprehension quizzes based on the video lessons (multiple choice only, so sort of light) and some research assignments (very light and parent graded).   Plus, they are supposed to write up some lab reports.

I am trying to figure out how I can come up with a grade for the class.   Do you think I need to find/write tests?   Or do you think I can calculate the grade based on some research papers?   I am thinking that it might be kind of cool to have them write up some papers based on the chapter mysteries.  

We're using an older book than the macaw version and I'm not super worried about it. I hope some bio teacher will chime in here on whether it is super out-of-date now. I don't plan to switch texts at this point but I could supplement if it was significantly off. 

My friend's grading was as below. We are doing the same, but we replaced out the project with a different one that takes less time.  I might end up making the project only 5% of the grade and add another 5% to labs since we have SO many. I do not plan any research papers, per se. There is an output for the project, but it is not a paper. However, my kids will be doing a fair amount of writing for other classes so that might factor in to your decision. 

Your final grade for this course is calculated as follows:
Study Workbook 20%
Labs 25%
Project 10%
Unit Tests 45%

This is my first time teaching 9th grade so I am really not sure if tests should be required or not.  I did find tests printed for the dragonfly edition that you can purchase (with keys) and I would think that the Kolbe stuff includes tests for the macaw version.  I am not sure if you can purchase those as a bound copy or not. Hopefully someone will chime in on that as well. I am using tests my friend created. Some of the questions appear to be from the end of chapter review sections (which she does not assign as homework).  I hope that helps!

• Like 1

We are! I just started planning, we are doing a lot of subjects as semesters because of our schedule so we may not start Bio until January. In the Secular Academic FB group there was a suggestion to use this with Labpaq but I haven't fully decided yet.

I bought the Macaw version.

ETA: Does everyone buy the Teacher's Edition? I admittedly haven't researched this too much yet since we aren't starting now. 

ETAA: https://thecrashcourse.com/courses/biology?fbclid=IwAR3rWymEt-Z_ZieVm3a9b31OXJXO7k26bhN-rz54Q8_1-GC4-L9ve8-Hy4U

We'll be doing this crash course with his younger sibs just because it's fun. 

Edited by Runningmom80
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Runningmom80 said:

We are! I just started planning, we are doing a lot of subjects as semesters because of our schedule so we may not start Bio until January. In the Secular Academic FB group there was a suggestion to use this with Labpaq but I haven't fully decided yet.

I bought the Macaw version.

ETA: Does everyone buy the Teacher's Edition? I admittedly haven't researched this too much yet since we aren't starting now. 

ETAA: https://thecrashcourse.com/courses/biology?fbclid=IwAR3rWymEt-Z_ZieVm3a9b31OXJXO7k26bhN-rz54Q8_1-GC4-L9ve8-Hy4U

We'll be doing this crash course with his younger sibs just because it's fun. 

I own the TE but not sure yet what I will use it for. LOL.

ETA: if you were to use the chapter review questions for a test, the answers are in the TE.

We are supplementing with Crash Course videos and Bozeman Science videos http://www.bozemanscience.com/biology-main-page

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 3

This is probably a long shot...  

But question for those using the Maccaw version (iPad or book).    Has anyone found a link that works for the untamed science videos that go with this book?   I was planning on having my kids do the chapter mysteries...and supposedly there are videos that go with these.   But I can't get the link to work on the author's site:  http://www.millerandlevine.com/macaw/intro.html

21 minutes ago, TheAttachedMama said:

This is probably a long shot...  

But question for those using the Maccaw version (iPad or book).    Has anyone found a link that works for the untamed science videos that go with this book?   I was planning on having my kids do the chapter mysteries...and supposedly there are videos that go with these.   But I can't get the link to work on the author's site:  http://www.millerandlevine.com/macaw/intro.html

Is this it?

https://untamedscience.com/science-videos-list/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm also looking at using the Miller Levine Biology for a 9th grader but a little confused as to what material I need to buy. Looking around various sites, I see a student book, teacher book, foundations workbook, lab manuals, etc. Kolbe has a textbook as well as some supplementary material including test, chapter quiz and answer key as well as an online access with etext.

I would appreciate any insight into the various materials and any information on what is actually contained in them.

I can speak to the Kolbe stuff. They offer:

text (you need this)

lesson plans (lays out a week by week schedule with certain review questions to answer, also includes some notes regarding Catholic teachings on some chapters; also includes tests and quizzes)

answer key (if you’re buying the plans, this has the answers to the questions they assign from the text. Very helpful)

online lab access - this can be purchased for a 12 month period. Labs are assigned in the lesson plans

Chance or Purpose - this is a book assigned to be read over a few weeks and a short paper assigned.

separately, I bought the study workbook. It is very well done. It does extend the learning somewhat. That being said, I haven’t used it with DD.  I should take it out and see if she’s wanting to use it for review. 

11 hours ago, BrianT said:

I'm also looking at using the Miller Levine Biology for a 9th grader but a little confused as to what material I need to buy. Looking around various sites, I see a student book, teacher book, foundations workbook, lab manuals, etc. Kolbe has a textbook as well as some supplementary material including test, chapter quiz and answer key as well as an online access with etext.

I would appreciate any insight into the various materials and any information on what is actually contained in them.

I have the dragonfly edition, and that makes a difference (I think?) in what print materials are available versus online stuff.  It's an older edition than the Macaw (and whatever the current is).

What we are using is the: Student Text, Reading and Study Workbook, and partially, the lab manual. I also have the Chapter Quiz/Test volume with answer key, but I will not be using it (using other tests, as noted below) I also have the Teacher's Edition, but at the moment, I don't think I will need it because I am not assigning questions from the Chapter reviews and we are not doing any labs from inside the book.  My friend used the lab manual labs (there is an annotated teacher edition for the lab manual) but I was not thrilled with the labs so I am using labs from Biology Corner's website.  I plan to do a lot of dissections--the lab manual only includes one or two I think.

So for what we ARE using, my kids read the text and as they are reading, they complete the study workbook.  When it comes time for a test, they will use that workbook to study. The only things we are using in the lab manual are basic lab skills stuff like how to use a microscope (which you can find online) and stuff about measurements, making tables, etc.  For tests, I am using tests for units that my friend wrote and generously shared with me. 

Looking for a 9th grade bio text and like the looks of this one! I see there is a 2019 version with a bee on the cover, is this the latest? Is it much different from the bird cover? Where has everyone found the best place to buy these texts and the workbooks? I don't mind used copies 🙂

49 minutes ago, BrianT said:

@bensonduck

Do the Kolbe answer keys address the questions from the textbook or the test/questions in the course plan? Trying to understand if the teacher text is needed or not in this situation.

The Kolbe “answer key” booklet has answers to the chapter review and lesson review problems that Kolbe assigns out of the textbook. For example, it might be Chapter 10.1 questions 1, 2(a), 2(c), and 4. Kolbe also skips chapters and sections of the textbook as well so answers to those questions won’t be in their answer key. 
The Kolbe “course plans” contain Kolbe-written quizzes and tests and the answers to those quizzes and tests. 

Does that answer your question? It was hard for me to figure out what to buy too. 

37 minutes ago, mountains27 said:

Looking for a 9th grade bio text and like the looks of this one! I see there is a 2019 version with a bee on the cover, is this the latest? Is it much different from the bird cover? Where has everyone found the best place to buy these texts and the workbooks? I don't mind used copies 🙂

I would probably go for the Macaw or the Dragonfly edition if you want used. It will be cheaper, and it is more likely that the support materials like workbooks will still be paper.  I bought everything off Amazon or used booksellers, but I am using the Dragonfly edition which is older than what most people on this thread are using.  

I think the OP was looking at the newest edition @TheAttachedMama did you find anything resource wise?

1 hour ago, bensonduck said:

The Kolbe “answer key” booklet has answers to the chapter review and lesson review problems that Kolbe assigns out of the textbook. For example, it might be Chapter 10.1 questions 1, 2(a), 2(c), and 4. Kolbe also skips chapters and sections of the textbook as well so answers to those questions won’t be in their answer key. 
The Kolbe “course plans” contain Kolbe-written quizzes and tests and the answers to those quizzes and tests. 

Does that answer your question? It was hard for me to figure out what to buy too. 

Yes. Many thanks.

Did you use the online lab as well?

4 hours ago, BrianT said:

Yes. Many thanks.

Did you use the online lab as well?

Not yet but I plan to. Since the access is only for 12 months, I wanted to be sure the course would be a good fit for my daughter first. So far it is and I will be buying soon. 

She has done some biology labs with another homeschool family in person already, but I can tell from the titles of the online labs assigned in the course plans that they will definitely add to and extend her learning. 

I went to the Miller Levine site but it is a little confusing. Under the "shop" section it appears you can purchase the 2019 version (I think it's the textbook but maybe it's digital??) for 92$ but that doesn't seem correct because on Amazon it's almost 250$ and all the used places have it listed at at least 130$?? Also there doesn't seem to be a workbook available on the website but I think I found one on Amazon for 30$. Am I missing something or is the new textbook really available in print for 92$?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

I am looking at Holt McDougal Biology.  There are several on Ebay 2012 edition...is that too old?  Amazon has 2017, but no Teacher Edition, and Ebay doesn't either.  First time doing High School Biology (have done Chemistry - which oldly is easier it seems).  I don't have a problem, but I want to make sure it is HS credit worthy.

Thank you!

Kathy

7 hours ago, Kathy M said:

Hi, 

I am looking at Holt McDougal Biology.  There are several on Ebay 2012 edition...is that too old?  Amazon has 2017, but no Teacher Edition, and Ebay doesn't either.  First time doing High School Biology (have done Chemistry - which oldly is easier it seems).  I don't have a problem, but I want to make sure it is HS credit worthy.

Thank you!

Kathy

I think this is a matter of opinion possibly. My Miller-Levine text is from 2008 and I'm not worried about it.

I am sure there have been some advances since 2012. Maybe someone could comment on what those are. If I were to guess, it would be that they are possibly in the areas of genetics/DNA.