Menu

Dinner tonight - help me out

Ginevra

I need to use my tomatoes and I’m being lazy and not canning them atm. I also have an abundance of bell peppers, some jalapeños, which I have been making as bacon-wrapped poppers, and I have fresh basil. I have chicken or shrimp I could use. I’m thinking of some sort of Mediterranean dish, but I’m blanking on putting it all together. Also, I would not mind using the jalapeños another way, but they have to be cooked quite a bit or they are inedibly spicy. (The fat in the bacon seems to do a good job of calming the heat for the poppers, plus I remove the membrane and seeds. That’s why I’ve been making it that way. But I think we’re getting tired of that iteration.) 

Ideas? 

I'd use this this recipe for quick roasted tomatoes and add my bell peppers to roast at the same time.  Then a quick saute of chicken or shrimp, a side of couscous (quick!), this sauce, and you're good to go!  Add basil before and after cooking.  

Or, if you want something all in one, this Italian Skillet dish would work.  Use what tomatoes you have and sub your peppers for mushrooms (or as an addition).  Mmmm.  We've already had dinner but now I'm hungry again!

Edited by vmsurbat1
typos
  • Haha 1

Last night we had shredded chicken breas with lime juice and cilantro on pan-blacked tortillas - then bowls of rice, cheese, black beans, jalapenos, and onions that each person could add to their roll up as desired.  

• Like 1

I’m making tomato jam with my millions of tomatoes and we’ll have tomato grilled cheeses with salad.

Tomato jam needs a whole lot of tomatoes- at least 2 pints, but better with more. I think mixing red bell peppers in could be interesting.

Edited by Paige
  • Like 1

You can make both an italian sauce or salsa by roasting tomatoes, peppers, garlic etc.  I just roast what I have during this time of year.  

A couple ideas along this line, but again, you  can be flexible with veggies/proportions this time of year!

I regularly throw peppers (sweet or seeded jalapeno's, etc into this) and onions as well
https://wholemadeliving.com/roasted-tomato-garlic-basil-pasta-sauce/

https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/roasted-tomato-salsa/

Either would be great over chicken, pasta, could make tacos, etc.  

• Like 1

Super simple--cut tomatoes in big chunks, drizzle with balsamic vinegar, serve.  Super good, nice and cool, and fast.

Cucumbers are very good in this, and if you have a little fresh basil that's awesome.  

Fig balsamic vinegar takes this to sublime, but it's not always a pantry staple, LOL.

Feta cheese chunks mixed in make it a full meal.

With your other stuff, assuming you also have white or yellow onions, I'd make yakitori.  That would use chicken, bell peppers, and onions.  And you can either broil it inside or barbeque it outside.

• Like 1

Chicken fajitas: grill the chicken and bell peppers with some onions, make salsa fresca with the tomatoes and jalapeños, and serve with warm tortillas and any other toppings you like (sour cream, etc.).

Pasta (serve either hot or cool as a pasta salad): roast tomatoes & peppers (& zucchini or eggplant if you have any) with garlic and olive oil, add grilled or sautéed shrimp & fresh basil, serve over farfalle with the olive oil & juices from the roasting pan and a splash of balsamic vinegar, and top with shaved parmesan

• Like 2

So, what I did was sort of a version of the Italian Skillet posted above, plus a salsa, which doesn’t exactly go together, but nevertheless was good together. 
Here’s how it looked: 

It was delicious! Thanks to everyone! I might come back and make some other recipes!

20E86531-A1DE-4E1D-9209-866907A43B91.jpeg

• Like 2

You probably made dinner hours ago, but another recipe I don't see above is using tons of tomatoes up by dicing them and having them fresh with pasta.  I'll often do this like a carbonara but with fresh diced tomato thrown in at the end.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, vmsurbat1 said:

Or, if you want something all in one, this Italian Skillet dish would work.  Use what tomatoes you have and sub your peppers for mushrooms (or as an addition).  Mmmm.  We've already had dinner but now I'm hungry again!

After writing this last night, I just had to make that dish today.  Absolutely delicious!  Served with brown rice, green bean salad, and roasted peppers&onions.  A winner!

• Like 1

I'd do shrimp tacos and salsa OR a pasta with tomatoes, shrimp, herbs and feta.  I'd use reduced wine or chicken broth to help coat the noodles and just barely cook the rest so it's really fresh.  I had one recipe like this where you broiled the dish for just a bit to make the feta all golden and melty.