Jump to content

Menu

Class of 2021 College Acceptances


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Starr said:

I continue to enjoy reading about our WTM acceptances. I encourage you to ask for an increase in financial aide. We found that every university my dd contacted  gave her at least a small increase and some quite a bit. We are back at it for grad schools.

I know that is true.  However, the difference between Hamilton/Bucknell and Dickinson is $13,000 a year with a note that the Hamilton aid (no merit scholarships--all institutional need based aid)  would be reduced "drastically" when her older brother graduated.  So a little bit isn't going to cut it.  But, it is good advice in general, and if her first choice (from whom we haven't gotten the financial aid yet) doesn't quite reach what we need, we will definitely appeal.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My dd1, who homeschool through high school will graduate in June with a computer science degree. She made her decision today on grad school. She decided on UCSD, she got into a lab that aligns with he

Deleted for privacy

Congrats to everyone!  This college application game is a brutal one. I am so very thankful that I have been able to come to The Hive for support.  Thanks to all of you who have posted great advice ov

Dd received her Earlham acceptance this week, with merit scholarships.  So excited for her...Iowa State also added additional money to her offer.  

This just seems surreal...

  • Like 13
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, freesia said:

I know that is true.  However, the difference between Hamilton/Bucknell and Dickinson is $13,000 a year with a note that the Hamilton aid (no merit scholarships--all institutional need based aid)  would be reduced "drastically" when her older brother graduated.  So a little bit isn't going to cut it.  But, it is good advice in general, and if her first choice (from whom we haven't gotten the financial aid yet) doesn't quite reach what we need, we will definitely appeal.

Congratulations on the acceptances. I hope first choice is an acceptance with great finances. 
 

Was your son also accepted to Bucknell? When I read your first post, I thought I had read something similar a few years ago. (That was the first time I heard of Bucknell, so it stuck with me.)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, NewnameC said:

Congratulations on the acceptances. I hope first choice is an acceptance with great finances. 
 

Was your son also accepted to Bucknell? When I read your first post, I thought I had read something similar a few years ago. (That was the first time I heard of Bucknell, so it stuck with me.)

 

Yes, he was.  Dh went there and loved it so the first two have both applied and been accepted.  I just told him today that if he wants our third to apply , the application fee can come out of his own personal money and not the homeschool budget because we already know what the financial aid will look like. 🙂

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I posted here a long time ago. 

Ds applied to 11 schools and is down to 6 to choose from, although really it's 5 I think. 

Still in the running: Wooster, Allegheny, Messiah, Centre, Hendrix, Clark (I think Clark is the one that he isn't really considering but hasn't declined yet). 

He declined: Macalaster, Calvin, Skidmore 

He got waitlisted at Hamilton but went ahead and declined the waitlist. He knew it was probably going to be out of our financial reach anyway and I think he wants his decision to be over and done. He got rejected from Swarthmore, which was a reach for him and probably would have been a reach financially. Also, he wants to swim and had never contacted the swim coach there (despite bring gently reminded many times that it might be a good idea.) 

We are going to go visit Centre and Hendrix over spring break in a few weeks. And then he'll have to pick. They are all fairly similar and I really don't know if he has a clear favorite. Financially, they came in at a good range. He got a lot of merit aid at all of them and they are all within what we wanted financially. Hendrix is clearly the cheapest, but it's nice that he won't have to make a decision solely on cost. I'm not sure how he is going to decide but I feel good about all 5 choices and think any one will be a good fit for him. 

The cost thing is pretty amazing...when he got the acceptance to Skidmore he came down and said "The good news is they gave me a $20K grant but the bad news is they start at $78K". 😬 Crazy. 

For anyone reading this who hasn't gotten to the college application point yet, I would second the advice given in other places on this board to have conversations early and often about cost with your kids. Going into the process ds knew that Skidmore, Swarthmore and Hamilton were all likely out of our financial comfort zone. They don't give merit aid (or very little merit aid) and we knew we wouldn't get a lot of need based aid from them. We said it was fine to apply but he never got his heart set on something we couldn't afford. Macalaster was a little bit of a harder one. He liked the coach a lot and had talked to people on the team. And it was more reasonable, but still more than what we were comfortable with. He wasn't super excited about Minnesota though (he doesn't like the cold very much) so that made it a little bit easier. 

 

Edited by Alice
  • Like 14
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Alice said:

I think I posted here a long time ago. 

Ds applied to 11 schools and is down to 6 to choose from, although really it's 5 I think. 

Still in the running: Wooster, Allegheny, Messiah, Centre, Hendrix, Clark (I think Clark is the one that he isn't really considering but hasn't declined yet). 

He declined: Macalaster, Calvin, Skidmore 

He got waitlisted at Hamilton but went ahead and declined the waitlist. He knew it was probably going to be out of our financial reach anyway and I think he wants his decision to be over and done. He got rejected from Swarthmore, which was a reach for him and probably would have been a reach financially. Also, he wants to swim and had never contacted the swim coach there (despite bring gently reminded many times that it might be a good idea.) 

We are going to go visit Centre and Hendrix over spring break in a few weeks. And then he'll have to pick. They are all fairly similar and I really don't know if he has a clear favorite. Financially, they came in at a good range. He got a lot of merit aid at all of them and they are all within what we wanted financially. Hendrix is clearly the cheapest, but it's nice that he won't have to make a decision solely on cost. I'm not sure how he is going to decide but I feel good about all 5 choices and think any one will be a good fit for him. 

The cost thing is pretty amazing...when he got the acceptance to Skidmore he came down and said "The good news is they gave me a $20K grant but the bad news is they start at $78K". 😬 Crazy. 

For anyone reading this who hasn't gotten to the college application point yet, I would second the advice given in other places on this board to have conversations early and often about cost with your kids. Going into the process ds knew that Skidmore, Swarthmore and Hamilton were all likely out of our financial comfort zone. They don't give merit aid (or very little merit aid) and we knew we wouldn't get a lot of need based aid from them. We said it was fine to apply but he never got his heart set on something we couldn't afford. Macalaster was a little bit of a harder one. He liked the coach a lot and had talked to people on the team. And it was more reasonable, but still more than what we were comfortable with. He wasn't super excited about Minnesota though (he doesn't like the cold very much) so that made it a little bit easier. 

 

Not having been able to do visits last Spring/Summer and early Fall really made a difference in school choices. Ultimately, we ended up visiting the two schools that seemed to be good fits and that were under consideration, and had two more that had been visited previously or there had been events at so they felt fairly familiar, and the choice really ended up down to them.

The good news is that we honestly came down to a point (where you are) that there wasn't a bad option left, and ultimately, the choice was made on feel.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

Not having been able to do visits last Spring/Summer and early Fall really made a difference in school choices. Ultimately, we ended up visiting the two schools that seemed to be good fits and that were under consideration, and had two more that had been visited previously or there had been events at so they felt fairly familiar, and the choice really ended up down to them.

The good news is that we honestly came down to a point (where you are) that there wasn't a bad option left, and ultimately, the choice was made on feel.

I agree!  Our summer/fall was set aside to make dd's final list.  Then, Covid hit.  Both of her schools have students on campus, and we plan to visit in a few weeks.  If we had visited earlier, say 9th/10th grade, I don't think it would have helped much.  She just wasn't at a place where she could have made those types of choices/decisions.  She blossomed her junior year, took extra classes to be college eligible.  We never expected scholarship money, and both schools are pretty even right now in terms of costs.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dd got waitlisted at Macalester.  According  to the numbers they sent, they only accepted 6% this year. So, she is actually quite pleased.  Now we just wait on one school (her favorite) for financial aid.  So glad to be done with the waiting on admission decisions.

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

Two other results have come in for ds.

Purdue admitted to his 2nd choice major of Mechanical Engineering Technology. Since he was admitted for Mechanical Engineering at other schools, this one is out of consideration. 

Virginia Tech (in state application) waitlisted for Engineering. He accepted the waitlist offer, but has moved on. I suspect the waitlist is quite long this year. 

  • Like 15
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

My former preK-12 homeschooler and 2020 electrical engineering college grad got some grad school (PhD program) acceptances and made a decision today. Got into Ga Tech, CU Boulder, and Duke. Decision is for Duke, one of the biomedical engineering labs. Ga Tech probably had the most intriguing lab, but the least appealing (for her interests) location. CU had the best location by far (mountains and snow), and was almost the pick. The lab at Duke was just a bit more aligned with her interests, and the funding was slightly more generous.

  • Like 24
Link to post
Share on other sites

In the second round of notifications, DS was accepted to St. Olaf and Denison and wait listed at Grinnell and the University of Richmond. Out of 9 applications, he was only out-right rejected at Bowdoin which was a definite long shot but bittersweet as it was the only school that out right said that he could run if accepted.

In the end, DS has made his decision to attend Drake University in Des Moines over St. Olaf. The Politics program with 4 majors is better than any we looked at with many, many internship, campaign volunteer opportunities, and hopefully working the Iowa Caucuses. DS also prefers the urban, capitol city location of Drake to the small town where St. Olaf is located.

For the parent's point of view, Drake has advantages also. DS has several food allergies. Because of several pre-Pandemic visits with my DDs, I am confident that his allergies will be well accommodated at Drake. Drake is more expensive than St Olaf but over 4 years this difference should be a wash. Drake's tuition promise and DS's scholarship make his future tuition costs known. This is particularly an issue for us as in 2 years as our need will drop significantly when DD2 graduates. At other schools, we would have seen a significant increase in costs but at Drake he will only loose a small grant.

We are all glad to have a decision. I am so glad the DS will be on campus next year. It has been a long year for DS as he has been attending CC virtually for over a year. This kid will thrive on a college campus among same age peers.

  • Like 19
Link to post
Share on other sites

My dd1, who homeschool through high school will graduate in June with a computer science degree. She made her decision today on grad school. She decided on UCSD, she got into a lab that aligns with her interest in AI.

  • Like 25
Link to post
Share on other sites

In the “they must be desperate” category, L got an acceptance to Oklahoma State. They had offered no application fee back in the fall, but their portal didn’t work on any computer we had. So, we abandoned it. Which means that they sent an acceptance letter (which played the school fight song) based on, literally, clicking a link. 
 

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SDMomof3 said:

My dd1, who homeschool through high school will graduate in June with a computer science degree. She made her decision today on grad school. She decided on UCSD, she got into a lab that aligns with her interest in AI.

Yay for the locals! So happy for her. 🙂

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

My youngest hasn't really decided what she wants to do in life.  She has been dual enrolled for the last several years at the local community college.  They are giving her a full scholarship to finish her two year art degree and then she will decide from there.  She has about 10 classes left to take.  She is adamantly against student loans and doesn't qualify for any other financial aid.   The state paid for what she has taken so far and now the school is paying for the rest.  Super proud of her. 

  • Like 13
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2021 at 11:44 AM, Dmmetler said:

In the “they must be desperate” category, L got an acceptance to Oklahoma State. They had offered no application fee back in the fall, but their portal didn’t work on any computer we had. So, we abandoned it. Which means that they sent an acceptance letter (which played the school fight song) based on, literally, clicking a link. 
 

 

Some of DH's family went there. TOTALLY checks out! Lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

DD applied to www.WUR.nl for a second year on row. Also for a second year on row she has been accepted conditionally. (That’s how it works in the Netherlands, because of the exit exams in may/june).

She did a Latin-Modern Languages track in homeschool, but needed a math-science track for this University. She tried last summer an ‘exam only’ option but failed 3 / 4 subjects so she is in a kind of community college for adult education now for math, physics and chemistry (she passed biology last summer)
 

About 2 weeks the central exit exams start and then we will know if she will be accepted unconditionally (after she gets her diploma)

She plans to study biology at WUR.

 

@RootAnn as you wondered how we were doing...

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...