Class of 2021 College Acceptances

Dmmetler

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, WendyAndMilo said:

By text message?!  Is this something new or normal??

This school had also sent out texts for updates to files, etc-things other schools seem to send e-mails for. So maybe that's how they do things. I know the CC here sends an e-mail, but also a formal letter. But it was kind of strange from my POV.

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

@dmmetlerIs UAH's app open yet? They just started classes today, so hopefully it is open now...

Dd#2 is not in a hurry to apply yet as she still doesn't have ACT scores. Maybe in late November she'll fill out the application.

UAH opened today, so she filled that one out. It's the last of her planned applications, so now she can focus on the honors college and scholarship apps then they open. 

• Like 5

Montevallo followed up with a phone call yesterday to let her know that she will be getting the presidential scholarship and an out of state waiver (which will cover full tuition-and is the primary reason she applied-they have good merit aid), and is in the running for their top scholarship (they give 12 full rides). Which was nice of them.

• Like 14

Not college, but dd signed her Navy contract and swore in this week. She changed her mind about her rating and went with a 4 year IT contract instead of the 6 year linguist contract she originally thought she'd like. She got a ship date for next June.

She plans to get some IT certificates and work toward a BS in CIS at Arizona State University Online while she's enlisted. I doubt she'll finish the BS while she's in because her contract is only 4 years and she'll have almost a year of Navy RTC (boot camp) and A school (the IT stuff) to do before she'll even get to her first post. If she doesn't finish, she'd like to spend a year in Tempe in person. 

The whole process was a lot of work for all of us because of the Top Secret clearance forms that we needed to fill out. After this, her Apply Texas applications should easy peasy. She still needs to apply to UT Austin and the U of Houston as back ups in case she gets injured or sick and can't join the Navy.

• Like 20

• 2 weeks later...

And the third up (and first common app-I think it is the only rolling decision school she applied to that does common app)-Mizzou (University of Missouri). They actually sent an e-mail to the parents, so I’ll ask DD if she’s checked hers when she gets out of class (she’s on TEAMS right now). 

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 8

DD did all of hers pretty much as soon as she opened. Including some where she is applying regular decision. It was more a case of "I want to get this over with". And not having much else to do. 

And she is now 3/3 at getting "we want you to apply to X" school mail AFTER she has been accepted, and 2/3 at getting it in the same mailbox at the same time as the acceptance letter! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

And the first "uh, did I apply to you?"-Arkansas Baptist College (DD did the Common Black College App for Tuskegee and Lincoln, and any of the 54 schools in the consortium have access to it. She's gotten several "please send more information if you want to apply"-but apparently Arkansas Baptist felt they had enough 🙂 )

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, dmmetler said:

And the first "uh, did I apply to you?"-Arkansas Baptist College (DD did the Common Black College App for Tuskegee and Lincoln, and any of the 54 schools in the consortium have access to it. She's gotten several "please send more information if you want to apply"-but apparently Arkansas Baptist felt they had enough 🙂 )

Flattering at the very least!

Dd got her first acceptance yesterday to Houghton College, where her brother attends. She was also asked to apply to the same honors program. 

It is really nice to have an acceptance. It gives me energy to keep going with the rest:-). Even though this is my second round, I still worry Ill mess something up. 

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

And the next-Lincoln University (Missouri). Lincoln is one of two HBCU’s on DD’s list (it’s another ag school). 

She also got her formal letter of award for the President’s Scholarship and OOS scholarship for Montevallo, along with an invitation to apply for the MAPS full ride. 

• Like 12

And she has finally gotten a letter from one of the schools she has actually visited-MTSU, plus admission to the honors program. 

MTSU was one of her top 2 going into this process. They have several Herpetologists she knows pretty well from the state Herp society who have already offered her the chance to join their labs, the state environmental education institute, a good cafeteria featuring dairy from their friendly MTSU cows, an awesome new Bio building designed for collaboration, and a great makerspace. 

Plus it's not too far from home, and gives a lot of the benefits of Nashville without actually being in Nashville. 

Hopefully, she'll get some merit on top of the state scholarship.

• Like 13

My ds has gotten acceptances from MTSU (with the honors program), UAH, and Tennessee Tech. He has one more to apply to and that is UT-Knoxville. He thinks he will get that in this weekend. He has really been working on getting his essays just right and waiting on a possible award he could receive at the end of this week that he would like to include in his application. He is hoping to be competitive for something beyond the automatic scholarship he will receive there but it is tough so it would be a nice surprise if he got anything extra. 

He is pretty set on going to UT-Knoxville and has been for as long as we've been discussing college. We did visit UAH and really liked it but it was still a second choice. With the change in scholarships there I don't think it is still in the picture. I think his backup might be MTSU now. I am encouraging him to fill out the extra application for the big scholarship there. It's hard because we all see him just going to UT but I have seen things change mid senior year for my older boys and if for some reason he did have a change in heart I sure would want him to have tried for scholarships at MTSU. 

• Like 11

On 9/22/2020 at 8:42 PM, dmmetler said:

And she has finally gotten a letter from one of the schools she has actually visited-MTSU, plus admission to the honors program. 

MTSU was one of her top 2 going into this process. They have several Herpetologists she knows pretty well from the state Herp society who have already offered her the chance to join their labs, the state environmental education institute, a good cafeteria featuring dairy from their friendly MTSU cows, an awesome new Bio building designed for collaboration, and a great makerspace. 

Plus it's not too far from home, and gives a lot of the benefits of Nashville without actually being in Nashville. 

Hopefully, she'll get some merit on top of the state scholarship.

One of my adult kiddos is getting her MBA with MTSU. She's online (they are local, though). Because she came out of health-sciences she had to a few undergraduate classes. She really liked the campus and her graduate classes have been really well-done. Except the current one, lol.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

One of my adult kiddos is getting her MBA with MTSU. She's online (they are local, though). Because she came out of health-sciences she had to a few undergraduate classes. She really liked the campus and her graduate classes have been really well-done. Except the current one, lol.

MTSU has been a frequent host of events DD has done through the years, so I think the fact that she knows the campus pretty well and the people well (and where various things off campus are) is helps a lot. Especially this year, when everything seems so uncertain. 

Apparently the local schools all did Oct 1 (or there is a major coincidence)-DD got acceptance e-mails from Christian Brothers, Lemoyne-Owen, and University of Memphis. So, she has some options if living on campus doesn't look like a good choice for next fall.

Also, University of Arkansas-Pine Bluff, which is another CBCA school. I'm guessing maybe they're looking at apps from kids fairly close who didn't specifically list them for the same reason-they would be an annoying commute, but would be OK for one day a week for labs if everything else is online. 

• Like 4

Last little chickie has been accepted to her schools:  University of Memphis and Union University in Jackson, TN.  She wants to stay local and major in either physics or electrical engineering.  I wanted her to add either Mississppi State or Tennessee Tech, but she thinks those would be too far from home.  

I am almost "retired".  Not sure what I will do with myself.  I have homeschooled since 2001.  

Blessings to all of you, 

Brenda Scott

• Like 17

• 1 month later...

Another from the CBCA-Benedict College. With a full ride merit scholarship (tuition, fees, room, board, and about $1000/semester for other expenses). I think they're too small a pond for my fish, but, again, I can think of some kids for whom it might be a really good fit, and it looks like they offer some great merit aid. Meanwhile, DD is kind of enjoying getting those extra acceptances-especially since she's now waiting for the "reach" schools that don't do rolling admissions-and it's kind of a confidence boost when working on scholarship applications to know that there are schools that are not only willing to take her, but are willing to pay her full way. 

• Like 11

11 hours ago, dmmetler said:

Another from the CBCA-Benedict College. With a full ride merit scholarship (tuition, fees, room, board, and about $1000/semester for other expenses). I think they're too small a pond for my fish, but, again, I can think of some kids for whom it might be a really good fit, and it looks like they offer some great merit aid. Meanwhile, DD is kind of enjoying getting those extra acceptances-especially since she's now waiting for the "reach" schools that don't do rolling admissions-and it's kind of a confidence boost when working on scholarship applications to know that there are schools that are not only willing to take her, but are willing to pay her full way. 

Whoa, great to have a full ride in the pocket!!

@brendafromtenn, congrats to your daughter! Whew, last one done! I have an electrical engineer here too.

• Like 2

Ds has gotten into three: Messiah, Calvin and Clark Univ (in Mass). 

He’s working on Honors program and scholarship applications as we speak. Some are due this weekend. He had an interview with the Honors Program at Messiah. He did get offered a scholarship at Clark, athough not enough to make it a great financial fit for him yet. The bigger ones are the ones with applications. 

He’s also planning on swimming. It will be D3 so no money but it does add a layer of recruiting and coaches to talk to and such. 

It is really a sigh of relief to have acceptances. 

• Like 14

DS has received 2 acceptances so far - Messiah University and St. Vincent College, both with automatic merit scholarships.  Opportunity for competitive scholarships at both schools coming up.

3 more applications are done and waiting for news.

2 applications to finish.

• Like 12

So, my daughter has been accepted to 8 schools. She's working on applying to honors colleges as well as top scholarships.  It's getting overwhelming.

We are waiting to hear back from her only EA school (will hear 12/15). If she gets accepted to this school,  she will commit.  I hope we can end the crazy on 12/15!

She has one other school She's waiting to hear from (in March) and 6 more applications She's working on supplemental essays for. She'll submit these applications between now and December 20th (hopefully). 

So glad she has options,  but her top schools are the ones she's either waiting to hear from or hasn't submitted yet.

I keep telling myself there will be an end to the madness! LOL

• Like 10

On 10/1/2020 at 1:04 PM, dmmetler said:

Apparently the local schools all did Oct 1 (or there is a major coincidence)-DD got acceptance e-mails from Christian Brothers, Lemoyne-Owen, and University of Memphis. So, she has some options if living on campus doesn't look like a good choice for next fall.

Also, University of Arkansas-Pine Bluff, which is another CBCA school. I'm guessing maybe they're looking at apps from kids fairly close who didn't specifically list them for the same reason-they would be an annoying commute, but would be OK for one day a week for labs if everything else is online. 

She got a letter awarding her the Presidential scholarship to Christian Brothers yesterday. I think if she ends up going locally, she'll probably go to the state U, but it does make it a little more viable financially. 

Hoping to get all the honors college applications/competitive scholarship apps in for the schools she's been accepted to by Dec 1. There is one EA school we should hear from in December, and then a few regular decision ones which were reaches (either financially or are selective enough on admissions to be reaches for everyone)-but I suspect that by the time she hears from the RD ones, she'll have made up her mind. Kind of hoping to have all the paperwork done this year, so that next year she can focus on making a decision. 

• Like 6

DD applied and was accepted to 3 schools earlier this fall.  She just added 2 more this week.  Several big scholarship application essays are due Dec. 1 and she hasn't finished one!  She also has a 10 page paper due that day for her English class.  Did I mention that she hates writing?  I hope I survive!

• Like 8

DS has received 2 acceptances so far - Messiah University and St. Vincent College, both with automatic merit scholarships.  Opportunity for competitive scholarships at both schools coming up.

Hey Jennay !!  My ds was accepted at St. Vincent College, too!!  He is doing the scholarship test in Dec., too!  I am excited a fellow Boardie's dc has applied there.  It's such a quaint little college.

Good luck to our kids!!

• Like 6

On 11/14/2020 at 5:21 PM, Jennay said:

3 more applications are done and waiting for news.

2 applications to finish.

That's awesome! My older daughter came very close to attending Messiah. We visited twice. I'm hoping my younger daughter will apply.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2020 at 1:02 PM, Alice said:

Ds has gotten into three: Messiah, Calvin and Clark Univ (in Mass). 

He’s working on Honors program and scholarship applications as we speak. Some are due this weekend. He had an interview with the Honors Program at Messiah. He did get offered a scholarship at Clark, athough not enough to make it a great financial fit for him yet. The bigger ones are the ones with applications. 

He’s also planning on swimming. It will be D3 so no money but it does add a layer of recruiting and coaches to talk to and such. 

It is really a sigh of relief to have acceptances. 

Alice, I missed that you had a Messiah acceptance too. I loved that school. Older daughter also got into Calvin, and liked it. She preferred Messiah though. Both wonderful.

3 hours ago, Nicholas_mom said:

Hey Jennay !!  My ds was accepted at St. Vincent College, too!!  He is doing the scholarship test in Dec., too!  I am excited a fellow Boardie's dc has applied there.  It's such a quaint little college.

Good luck to our kids!!

What major does your son have in mind? Have you been able to go for a visit?  

• Like 1

What major does your son have in mind? Have you been able to go for a visit?  

Yes, but we went twice last year in the Fall 2019.  But we also went 2 weeks ago for Heritage Day that they had for prospective students.  He wants to study Physics.  Also, some of my friends have friends who kids went there and really enjoyed it and had no problems getting into Graduate school.

You can PM'd me if you like to discuss more.  We are going on campus for the scholarship test.

2 hours ago, GoodGrief3 said:

Alice, I missed that you had a Messiah acceptance too. I loved that school. Older daughter also got into Calvin, and liked it. She preferred Messiah though. Both wonderful.

Thanks. We really liked Messiah when we visited. But partially it was because we went for a swim recruiting event and so got to really meet a lot of people. I think both my son and I felt like it was a great fit...but we also realize that it’s hard to judge a lot of other places because we can’t visit.

We also like Calvin, although haven’t visited. My son’s name is Calvin so that is providing us all kinds of amusement right now. They have sent him  stuff with “Calvin” on it so our family joke is that if nothing else comes out of it he’ll have a glass straw and banner and socks with his name on them. 😁 I told my other kids their new strategy is to find school’s that have their name so they can also get personalized swag if accepted.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

My ds got his acceptance to UT-Knoxville tonight along with confirmation of the expected automatic merit. He also got accepted to the top honors program which was not guaranteed. Some friends with good stats but just a point or two lower on ACT did not get into the honors program. So hopefully that bodes well for any additional scholarship money that his application has been well received so far. He has a couple more scholarship applications to finish (one more for UTK and one for an outside scholarship). 

• Like 20

Congrats to everyone!  This college application game is a brutal one. I am so very thankful that I have been able to come to The Hive for support.  Thanks to all of you who have posted great advice over the years.  I couldn’t have homeschooled for the long haul without it.

My boy got into Cornell!!!  We are over the moon!

• Like 25

9 minutes ago, Hadley said:

Congrats to everyone!  This college application game is a brutal one. I am so very thankful that I have been able to come to The Hive for support.  Thanks to all of you who have posted great advice over the years.  I couldn’t have homeschooled for the long haul without it.

Very snowy there right now!

• Like 1

Dd got her acceptance to Wheaton College (IL) right before Thanksgiving.  This is *my* top choice for her, but of course her choice and money come into play.  She is now into her top 3 choices.  We have more to go (and more selective schools), but it's nice to have these in the bag.

• Like 18

4 hours ago, Hadley said:

Congratulations! May I ask if he applied test optional?

8 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Congratulations! May I ask if he applied test optional?

He did not.  He was lucky enough to have already taken both the SAT and a couple of subject tests in the fall of his junior year, and did well enough that they sufficed.  I will say that we sent in copious homeschool course descriptions and reading lists, and he has worked two computer science internships, has tons of volunteer hours, and has taken and made As in courses from other four-year universities.  Additionally, Cornell allowed five letters of recommendation and a professional resume. I felt that the process allowed for us to present a very broad picture of who he is as a student.  All that to say, I don’t think applying test-optional would be the end of the world...they really look at many aspects😊

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Hadley said:

He did not.  He was lucky enough to have already taken both the SAT and a couple of subject tests in the fall of his junior year, and did well enough that they sufficed.  I will say that we sent in copious homeschool course descriptions and reading lists, and he has worked two computer science internships, has tons of volunteer hours, and has taken and made As in courses from other four-year universities.  Additionally, Cornell allowed five letters of recommendation and a professional resume. I felt that the process allowed for us to present a very broad picture of who he is as a student.  All that to say, I don’t think applying test-optional would be the end of the world...they really look at many aspects😊

It seems around here that similar kids with tests got in and without tests didn’t. So I am not sure I agree, but thank you for the details!