Menu

Math for Kid Who Dislikes Math

1 hour ago, OneThoughtMayHideAnother said:

Throw in an addictive, fun, solid math facts game that the kids ask to play in their free time (and the mom plays herself at night after the kids are asleep

What is this game?

5 minutes ago, OKBud said:

What is this game?

https://www.roomrecess.com/mobile/MQ2/play.html

There is also MQ1, which is an earlier version of the same thing. These are adventure games that cover all addition, subtraction, multiplication and division facts, starting with easy addition and building up. They provide a crazy amount of practice. It's not just a game with some fact drills thrown in here and there. The player has to answer Qs all the time in order to keep playing. My son loved the game so much, he chose to use all of his screen time allowance on it. He was quite little when he did it, so I had to help him a bit with navigation, etc at the beginning. In the end, he played independently. The game is a bit addictive for some, which is a concern, but it does come to an end, so it's not like the kid will be dependent on it for life. We haven't touched it in months now, but our math facts remain rock solid. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, square_25 said:

But deciding a kid doesn’t like math because they aren’t into arithmetic is like deciding a kid doesn’t like eating because they don’t like broccoli. 

This a million times!

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, square_25 said:

By the way, my kiddo is utterly uninspired by puzzles. She does like the Beast Academy comics, though.

Have you ever looked at Math Kangaroo problems? Do you think she’d like those?

Not sure. I've never heard of them before. I'll have DH check it out. 

Part of our issue is that I'm the one who does the research but my DH is the one who does the work. 

Just now, Ordinary Shoes said:

Not sure. I've never heard of them before. I'll have DH check it out. 

Part of our issue is that I'm the one who does the research but my DH is the one who does the work. 

Maybe you don't need to farm out the math to him entirely? 🙂 Just because he's mathy doesn't mean he's a great teacher. It's possible working together would go better? 

6 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Maybe you don't need to farm out the math to him entirely? 🙂 Just because he's mathy doesn't mean he's a great teacher. It's possible working together would go better? 

He's getting better and it's a big relief to not have to deal with math. I work full time and homeschool. I really need my DH to do his share. 

Just now, Ordinary Shoes said:

He's getting better and it's a big relief to not have to deal with math. I work full time and homeschool. I really need my DH to do his share. 

Yeah, that's a lot. I get it! 

Maybe send him to this forum for some ideas, lol. 

If he ever finds something she likes better than other things, let me know, I can probably spin off from it. Coming up with projects is my thing, lol. I'm pretty proud of having figured out how to teach math to my kid in a way that made her interested and engaged, even though she doesn't much like puzzles or arithmetic.

Edited by square_25
  • Like 1

Maybe Mathematical Reasoning? It's colorful, has some puzzles/patterns/etc to do, but normal math otherwise. 

I was similar as a kid. I never struggled, I just didn't enjoy it. Bleh. If she gets concepts easily, something with shorter lessons would likely be fine. It was all the problems that drove me nuts. 

OH!

And Math Mammoth is mastery - all the problems are the same topic. Not sure about Beast Academy, but I think those are too! What about trying a spiral program, where there are a few questions about the new material, then the rest are mixed review? That's a lot less tedious for some kids. Mixes it up. CLE and Teaching Textbooks are like that. (probably could do a grade ahead with Teaching Textbooks if she's quick to pick stuff up. Or do on grade level if she needs the confidence boost)

36 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Not sure about Beast Academy, but I think those are too!

I don't know exactly how to class BA into those categories... it might be mastery, but it moves through material quick. So a more likely problem with BA is frustration.