Menu

Mr D ASL

Paige

3 hours ago, Paige said:

Has anyone tried this? It looks like it's self paced only right now. I'd rather have a live teacher, but maybe it would be ok with an occasional verbling tutor?

My daughter took ASL 1 through Mr. D and is now about halfway done with ASL 2. She really enjoys it but I wouldn’t say it’s a super challenging class. That’s ok with us because she will also be taking Spanish to fulfill her foreign language credit and ASL is just something she really likes.
In a good portion of the first year, the teacher signs a lot and the “tests” are based on your understanding of what she’s signing. Eventually this turns into the student videoing herself/himself signing and being evaluated that way, in addition to understanding the teacher.  There is a monthly option to meet with the teacher and other students. 
The system is really easy to navigate. The recordings and work are never drudgery. She really likes it! If you have any other specific questions, let me know and I’ll ask her. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kiara.I said:

My concern would be that I don't think the teacher is Deaf.

Do you think that issue could be mitigated by having a regular tutor who is deaf in addition to the class? I’m not sure how often we could do that, but maybe weekly or twice a month. I think we’d start with a conversation partner after she’s gotten through several units first.

1 hour ago, Paige said:

Do you think that issue could be mitigated by having a regular tutor who is deaf in addition to the class? I’m not sure how often we could do that, but maybe weekly or twice a month. I think we’d start with a conversation partner after she’s gotten through several units first.

Part of the issue, yes: that of language fluency.  Not the issue of it being culturally not accepted to have hearing people teaching ASL, though. 

It would definitely be good to have actual conversational practice in the Deaf community.