Menu

Behr paint compared to premium brands?

Katy

I don't think I've used cheap paint in 15 years.  I quickly gave up and went to Benjamin Moore.  Well now I'm planning out my Fall/Winter projects and I'm going to paint the interiors of the house (myself). I'm nowhere near a Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams.  There's a Home Depot about 20 minutes away.  Please give me all your paint tips.  It gets good reviews, but is it really as good at 1/2-2/3 the price?  I'm dubious but I want to make plans because someone told me they always put paint on sale on Labor Day weekend.

How does the coverage and durability compare?

How good are they at matching premium colors  (BM Revere Pewter, SW Sea Salt)?

Well we used the premium one coat Behr and it was definitely one coat.  I was able to cover a dark color with a light color with no problem. The only reason it need two coats was because the walls are plaster and it's REALLY hard to get into all the crevices.

However I have used Valspar too and had no problem with it.  Always used a primer though.

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't consider Behr cheap paint.  I use the Ultra, their mid level paint with primer, not the lowest,Premium Plus, and not the best,  Marquee. Behr has consistently ranked high ( and often highest) in  comparisons on Consumer Reports.  I despise Valspar.  I used PPG 250 on cabinets, but on walls I prefer Behr.  That said, I prefer BJ and SW paint colors, so I generally use their shade and Behr paint, which is just fine.  However, I would be skeptical at touch ups, like if you had painted a room with SW paint in Sea Salt and want to touch it up? I'd get the identical paint and maker.

• Like 1

We love Behr wall paint. We use the Marquee line. I doubt anyone would consider it cheap. Behr in general always rates very high. We’ve painted three houses with it and don’t really consider anything else. I do prefer Sherwin Williams for trim paint, though. My one piece of advice is to always use a separate primer on any areas you have to spackle. We’ve never managed to get those to not stand out without an extra coat of primer. Supposedly it’s because the texture of the repaired area is different. 

I've painted almost my entire house with Behr Marquee and it's fine. I scrub it often because my 2yr old has a crayon problem and it still looks great. I considered Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore, but plenty of reviews said that the Behr was actually better. I always use 2 coats. Sometimes 1 looks good enough if I don't look closely but I always find a spot or two on close inspection that I didn't get evenly. 

• Like 1

My favorite paint by far is Ben Moore, followed by Dunn Edwards (but we don't have Dunn Edwards here). I have used Behr paint for the kids' bedrooms, where I didn't need something that would stand up to a lot of wear, and it was fine. I would not go below the Ultra level, and Marquee is better. I tried the Premium Plus in DD"s room and it was awful — it took 3 coats of light aqua to fully cover the ugly orangey-brown paint that the previous owners had used everywhere. I switched to Ultra for DS's room and was able to cover the same orangey-brown with 2 coats of very pale gray. I tried Marquee in the kitchen, and the coverage was OK but the color was badly matched to a BM color, so I went back to BM. I've also used Sherwin Williams Emerald, and find it pretty comparable to Behr Marquee, but not as nice as BM Regal. 

I think the quality will be fine, but the color won’t be exact. If you’re not matching an existing color I’m not sure there’s be a noticeable difference. Sea Salt can be tricky anyway. When I was researching I learned it was a harder color to match. It’s still pretty, but in some brands it goes more green than blue. It changes throughout the day, seasons, and with different woods anyway so I’m not sure how much a variation on that will matter.