Menu

Homegrown HS Art?

My DD is very talented and I’m thinking about doing a fall semester of homegrown art with a focus on figure drawing, color, and design theory, and spring semester using 2 sessions from the animation course. It’s ok with me if The Animation Course runs into the summer. Do you think this is enough for a full credit? Do you think it would shortchange her?

My thoughts are that a stronger background in basic drawing and design would make an animation course more productive and also, The Animation Course is expensive with the feedback option. I want to spend my money more strategically and not buy their drawing course too. I think there’s plenty of high quality drawing books for a gifted student, but I’m far from gifted in art so maybe I don’t know.

She’d track her hours and work through some Atelier books for drawing, read some design theory books, and work through some of the graphic design course on Lynda the first semester. For the 2nd, she’d only do the 2 Animation Courses and her out of class practice which I expect would be a substantial amount of time.

I’m feeling like such a rebel now by doing so many homegrown courses next year. I’m looking at my kids- you get a homegrown class, and you get a homegrown class, and you get 3 homegrown classes! 😆 Maybe I should stop. 

• Like 3

Why would you stop? I think it is great.

YouTube has a lot of tutorials. Lots of books if they prefer learning that way. Tracking hours will tell you if you have enough for a credit.

My dd#2 had an oil painting teacher but is self taught in her other mediums (colored pencil, watercolor, oil pastels, & now acrylic). I did not assign credit for anything but the oil painting. However, she had a photography half credit between an in person class, an online tutorial, & lots of time spent working on technique, so I obviously think home grown art classes are legit.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, RootAnn said:

YouTube has a lot of tutorials. Lots of books if they prefer learning that way. Tracking hours will tell you if you have enough for a credit.

My dd#2 had an oil painting teacher but is self taught in her other mediums (colored pencil, watercolor, oil pastels, & now acrylic). I did not assign credit for anything but the oil painting. However, she had a photography half credit between an in person class, an online tutorial, & lots of time spent working on technique, so I obviously think home grown art classes are legit.

I'm worried about over extending myself because I haven't done a completely homegrown course in years. They are more work, but I think we'll be happier. I get so frustrated paying for classes I don't end up liking. 

For 2020-2021 I've now committed myself to homegrown Gvmt and Civics, Economics, Botany (because Guest Hollow requires an almost complete revision to bring it up to my HS standards), Writing, Literature, and now Art/Design. Then, I'm also facilitating AOPS Precalc and Geometry with no outside teachers, and putting together some stuff for Japanese!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Paige said:

I'm worried about over extending myself because I haven't done a completely homegrown course in years. They are more work, but I think we'll be happier. I get so frustrated paying for classes I don't end up liking. 

For 2020-2021 I've now committed myself to homegrown Gvmt and Civics, Economics, Botany (because Guest Hollow requires an almost complete revision to bring it up to my HS standards), Writing, Literature, and now Art/Design. Then, I'm also facilitating AOPS Precalc and Geometry with no outside teachers, and putting together some stuff for Japanese!

When you are done with your government/civics, econ and art/design, please report back!! I am very interested to see what you have done.

If there is anything I am consistent about when it comes to our homeschool, it is tinkering with the curriculum and changing out stuff. LOL. If I don't, I am invariably unhappy with the results. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
2 minutes ago, Bryam Lama said:

I have always been of the opinion that talent is very important in art, but then I realized that talent alone is not enough. I am not a professional in this, but I like to draw, this is my hobby, I also like to read essays about art, learn new things, study the history of cultures, etc. I learned a lot from essay examples, articles and books, but it didn't give me any skills or talent. Therefore, all the same, talent is a necessary condition, but not sufficient.

I agree with you completely! Once I also tried to learn to draw, I went to different schools and courses. But there I always was worse than my peers in drawing. In my case, even experience did not help me))

On 8/3/2020 at 1:26 AM, RootAnn said:

Yes, that’s right. I have started to draw one more time because of YouTube tutorial. But my case is about hobby, but anyway it works 💁🏼‍♀️