Menu

Common App and the Counselor Letter

Nicholas_mom

Does the counselor letter need to be written to a specific university/college OR do you write it as generic letter to all university?  One of ds choices is a Ivy League school, so we wrote a specific counselor letter to the one Ivy League school.  Not haven't created an CA account, yet, I am wondering if it should be written more generically, with the qualities of the student appealing to all schools.....

If you use the CA, the same counselor letter & school profile go to every school they apply to. You cannot customize them. Recommendation letters are the same although you can choose different recommenders for different schools, I guess. 

• Like 1

I personally would not write a counselor letter directly toward a specific school.  Counselor letters should address the academic strengths of the individual student.  The student's essays are what should be tailored toward the individual school.  I would not want "my" voice toward the specific school to be heard. 

• Like 1