Menu

Would you have oral surgery right now?

mommyoffive

Yes, well, I did. Surgery for extraction, then back in again for the implant. Plus a root canal and filling in the meantime. Numbers have been rising kind of all along, but in a flattened curve sort of way.

What is the alternative? For me it was infection which would have led to very bad things.

We have been doing preventative dental care, immunizations for the kids, etc., all along because that keeps us healthy.

Dentists offices are very clean and they are wearing a lot of preventative and protective ppe. They are not having people sit in waiting rooms. Mine are running tons of air purifiers throughout the office.

But, yes, go to the dentist!

Edited by EmseB
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, perkybunch said:

I am in a state with rising numbers but if it's a need, it's a need.  I think it would be fine.

Agree.

Putting off dental work never seems to result in good outcome. I'd be afraid that I'd put it off until it became a true emergency at a time when the Covid situation was even worse.

• Like 5

Youngest had wisdom teeth out 9 days ago. I think coronavirus numbers will get worse before they get better--didn't want to wait a year or more. Lots of precautions in the provider's office (temp checks for all who enter, masks on everyone, air purifiers in waiting rooms and exam rooms). We seem to have about 3 new cases a day in our county right now, for perspective, and test positivity rate has always been less than 5% here. I'm glad we got it done.

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 1

My oldest is in braces, so she’s been to the orthodontist several times over the last few months.  Dh started the process to get dental implants back in Feb.  He’s been to the dentist for the next step and I think the next is sometime soon.  We haven’t had any problems with their going.

• Like 1

Yes, I would and did. I had to have a wisdom tooth removed in March that couldn’t wait any longer. Dh, dc, and I have all been to the dentist for cleanings, and ds had to get a couple fillings. I certainly feel safer at the dentist’s office than the grocery store. They’re all wearing PPE, temp/heath screening everyone before they come in, masks required, no one in waiting room. I felt they’re doing the best they can under the circumstances. 
I’m not super comfortable doing medical/dental things right now, but think at this point may be a greater risk of putting things off longer (I’m now almost  5 months overdue for my ob/gyn exam and mammogram and having those done next week). We’ve been a hotspot and still have increasing cases (about 100/day in my county), but for me, the risk of continuing to postpone my own healthcare seems greater than risk of Covid from my doctor and dental offices. 

• Like 1

Well my college age son was supposed to have them out this summer, but he isn't having it done.  My husband still has his so I'm not overly worried about it.  I'd rather wait until next summer and see.  They are not bothering him.  He uses a retainer after ortho work. The dentist grumbled about it once but I think mostly out of concern of backtracking the ortho work.  We've also put off cleaning.  I'm trying to be extra meticulous with flossing, etc.  Planning on re-evaluating for routine stuff after the first of the year.  

For an emergency situation with possible tooth loss?  Yes, I'd do it.

Edited by FuzzyCatz

There is a risk of losing teeth?  Yes, I would have the procedure done. As someone said above, putting off necessary dental care doesn't generally lead to a good outcome.  Covid numbers in my state or even county wouldn't change my mind about that. 

• Like 1

Absolutely yes if proper procedures in place.  I had a steroid injection at an ambulatory surgical center connected physically to a hospital caring for COVID patients along with many others in early July.  It decreased my pain in that sacroilliac joint by 75% and  I did not get COVID.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2020 at 3:03 PM, FuzzyCatz said:

Well my college age son was supposed to have them out this summer, but he isn't having it done.  My husband still has his so I'm not overly worried about it.  I'd rather wait until next summer and see.  They are not bothering him.  He uses a retainer after ortho work. The dentist grumbled about it once but I think mostly out of concern of backtracking the ortho work.  We've also put off cleaning.  I'm trying to be extra meticulous with flossing, etc.  Planning on re-evaluating for routine stuff after the first of the year.  

For an emergency situation with possible tooth loss?  Yes, I'd do it.

Not sure if you are talking about wisdom teeth.   This is not for that.  The surgery was canceled back in March.   And is risking losing 4 teeth if not done.  We are moving forward with it.  I am nervous.   I wish we had done it before covid hit.

I would in that situation.  I have a tiny cavity that needs to be filled that I've put off, but part of it is because I hate having cavities filled!  I do think the biggest risk of the dentist's office is not for the patient, but for the dentist.  So I assume they'll have very good protective gear.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Yes. Here's my reasoning.

Cv19 will be around for a long long time. I'd just go ahead and do what needed to be done. Because there really is not an advantage to waiting. 

True.  Unless there is better treatment, vaccine,  or lower numbers of cases. 

Dentists tend to follow clean and sterile procedures to reduce the chances of infection anyway, particular with oral surgeries. I wouldn't worry about it in the least.

I had my oral surgery before all this kicked off here in the U.S., thankfully, and have been delayed in getting follow-ups because of COVID, but I wouldn't blink about going to get the work done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Well we had it done yesterday.   Fingers crossed that nothing covid related comes from it.

Wishing you well. Honestly I felt safer at my routine dental cleaning than I do at the grocery store. I've known my dentist for years and he's taking a lot of precautions. 

• Like 2

WHO just came out with some recommendations.

https://news.trust.org/item/20200811130634-e0bs0

GENEVA, Aug 11 (Reuters) - Dental patients and staff need to be protected from any potential infection by aerosol-generating procedures, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday, as dentists return to work in areas where the COVID-19 pandemic is easing.

There is currently no data on the spread of coronavirus from the dentist's chair, it said, calling for more research into common procedures that produce tiny floating particles that may cause infection if inhaled.

These include three-way air/water spray, ultrasonic cleaning equipment that removes deposits from the tooth surface, and polishing, the WHO said in new guidance.

"WHO guidance recommends in case of community transmission to give priority to urgent or emergency oral cases, to avoid or minimise procedures that may generate aerosol, prioritise a set of clinical interventions that are performed using an instrument and of course to delay routine non-essential oral health care," Benoit Varenne, a WHO dental officer, told a news briefing.

He added: "The likelihood of COVID-19 being transmitted through aerosol, micro-particles or airborne particles ... today I think is unknown, it's open to question at least. This means that more research is needed."

• Like 1