Menu

Advice on SAT or alternative testing plan

DD16 is registered to take the SAT in September in Hillsboro, OR. The school district has just announced that to comply with our state's guidelines, all schools will be fully online from their delayed start 9/14/20 through the end of the first quarter 11/5/20. Does that mean the SAT won't be administered at the high school before 11/5 at the earliest? All other nearby school districts are also fully online, so location switching is unlikely to help if closed school = closed test site.

DD is in 11th grade this year. Her only non-Mom grades are Algebra 2 with Derek Owens and a local physics small group class taught by an ex-teacher. We planned to use the Community College for math and foreign language this year, but DD isn't interested in online, so DE won't happen in fall and I have no idea whether it will be possible in spring. 

She hasn't finalized a college list, but all four currently on the radar would like the SAT and 2 or 3 subject tests - typically math and foreign language is recommended. Plan A was Math 1 subject test in May 2020 - testing centers were all closed. Plan B is regular SAT in September, Japanese in May 2021, and Math 2 in June 2021. 

Any advice for Plan C? What are you doing to show outside grade validation for your rising juniors and seniors? 

• Like 1

For DS15 (rising junior), we can’t get any test sites available locally until November. My county’s test centers are all closed for the August, September, October test rates. I think the chance of the November test date going through is higher as the local schools that are available test sites have enough time and experience to meet social distancing requirements for hosting.  The test site we pick is a less than 20mins drive so even if they cancel on the day itself, it won’t be as bad as if we drive more than an hour to a far away test site in September before sunrise since you have to be there by 7:45am.

His only SAT score was from 6th grade which is why he is taking this year if it happens. He took math, Japanese and programming at community college for 10th grade and has SAT subject tests as well as AP exams scores. 

My kids have taken SAT and SAT subject tests at a few different high schools (public and private). Each school has a test coordinator for SAT/ACT. I believe that for the 2020/2021 test dates registration, the number of candidates per test site would have been reduced to cater for social distancing requirements. The test site we used the most often use about half their school building (including their auditorium) and could easily use all their classrooms and have more proctors if they (school) are willing to bear the cost. Schools earn a negligible amount for hosting so I am thankful to be surrounded by numerous high schools and a state university that are willing to host the SAT.

ETA:

I meant to say call or email the school admin and ask for the contact for the 2020/21 test coordinator for Saturday testing.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

CLEP test sites in my area are closed too since my county is a hot spot. 

OP would have to find where her test sites are and call to see if they are open https://clep.collegeboard.org/test-center-search

If nothing in Oregon is open, they could drive to Boise State University, their CLEP test site is currently open.

Possible to take other tests in Boise, too, perhaps?  Kind of a pain but could work...

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

CLEP test sites in my area are closed too since my county is a hot spot. 
OP would have to find where her test sites are and call to see if they are open https://clep.collegeboard.org/test-center-search

Thanks for the suggestion to check with the school about SAT testing. I'll make a note to call them when (if?) they reopen. High schools here close completely over summer, so no-one answers the phone before mid-August.

I looked up my nearest CLEP center - Mt Hood Community College. They are mostly online for fall but have a handful of in person classes currently scheduled, so testing might be happening. CLEP hasn't been on my radar, as DD prefers home-designed courses. Maybe CLEP Precalculus could substitute for SAT Math 2?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElizabethB said:

If nothing in Oregon is open, they could drive to Boise State University, their CLEP test site is currently open.

Possible to take other tests in Boise, too, perhaps?  Kind of a pain but could work...

Back in December I had no idea that driving 7 hours to take a test would be anything but laughable... I guess this could be plan C 😄

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Bocky said:

Thanks for the suggestion to check with the school about SAT testing. I'll make a note to call them when (if?) they reopen. High schools here close completely over summer, so no-one answers the phone before mid-August.

My school district office has that information too and they aren’t close in summer. I would email both the high school admin and the district office.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Does anybody know if schools in Utah will be offering testing?

For the CLEP tests, you can look it up on the link above from Arcadia For the others, who knows, but Idaho and Utah have stayed mostly open overall; some of the SAT/ACT tests may be nationally decided, though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bocky said:

I looked up my nearest CLEP center - Mt Hood Community College. They are mostly online for fall but have a handful of in person classes currently scheduled, so testing might be happening. CLEP hasn't been on my radar, as DD prefers home-designed courses. Maybe CLEP Precalculus could substitute for SAT Math 2?

You could teach what you want and make sure you include most of what's in the CLEP, then do a focused study for the CLEP at the end. There are books, I got this one for natural sciences, I plan on teaching it to my son from the book: 

https://www.amazon.com/CLEP®-Natural-Sciences-Online-Preparation/dp/0738612073/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2ET660CGOFVXJ&dchild=1&keywords=clep+natural+sciences&qid=1596331041&sprefix=clep+natural%2Caps%2C186&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyTUo0RjBVTFpLWkpXJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTk5MzYwTzJXMUdIUEhKVFU3JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyNjc3OTUyV0NHMDBUQVg3WUczJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bocky said:

The way the CLEP tests work is that you can just go in and take them. You can retake them again in 6 months or a year, I forget which, if you don't pass. You just pay your $85, many colleges accept most of them.  You can study from the book or take a class before hand or just take the test if it's something you know well. I haven't used them with my children yet but have known people that took them, most just self studied with books.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ElizabethB said:

The way the CLEP tests work is that you can just go in and take them. You can retake them again in 6 months or a year, I forget which, if you don't pass. 

"[A]s of October 17, 2014, the waiting period is three months." A but quicker on the retake...

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ElizabethB said:

Wow, that's almost worth testing before you're ready just to get practice!!

Yes, although those test books usually have 2 practice tests. 👍🏼 Also check to see if Modern States includes your test, then you should be able to get some of the test-taking cost reimbursed.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/29/2020 at 7:24 AM, Bocky said:

Bumping to update: SAT test sites are closed here. We will try for March 2021, I think, since fortunately she is a junior. Thinking of parents of seniors! Good luck everyone!

DS15 just received a cancellation email from CollegeBoard for November SAT.

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, fourisenough said:

My DD is registered for the 10/24 ACT. The school hosting her test just resumed in-person learning last week, so I’m cautiously optimistic her test will actually happen. Fingers-crossed. Sorry to hear your son’s SAT was canceled.

We managed to get a seat for March 2021. Out of six nearby test centers that showed up, only one had any seat left.

We didn’t try for December 2020 as it is most likely going to be cancelled as well in our area. 

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

We managed to get a seat for March 2021. Out of six nearby test centers that showed up, only one had any seat left.

We didn’t try for December 2020 as it is most likely going to be cancelled as well in our area. 

Oh wow. I hear Santa Clara is starting to open up schools. Maybe just rumors? 

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Oh wow. I hear Santa Clara is starting to open up schools. Maybe just rumors? 

The smaller private schools in Bay Area did request for permission to reopen. Public schools are closed. CSUs are mostly online for Spring. San Jose Unified School District which is the largest school district near me is remaining online. 

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

The smaller private schools in Bay Area did request for permission to reopen. Public schools are closed. CSUs are mostly online for Spring. San Jose Unified School District which is the largest school district near me is remaining online. 

I hear private schools are arranging SAT/PSAT/ACT testing in house and not letting outsiders in.