Jump to content

Menu

Note Taking Course?


Recommended Posts

My ds is a rising sophomore. He's a pretty smart cookie with a good memory, so his note taking skills are poor! However, I know this is a skill he needs to develop now! Does anyone have suggestions for a short course or workbook even that we could use before we resume homeschooling in late August? Thanks so much!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh that sounds interesting! 
I usually have my kids watch How to Become a Superstar Student from Great Courses, it has a lecture on note taking and some others you might find helpful. I believe it’s on GCPlus as well. 
I would also look on YouTube for a video on Cornell Notes. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are two simple workbooks I can recommend but they're both geared for upper elementary and middle school.  The first one was recommended in the 3rd edition of TWTM for the logic stage and is only available as a PDF download. I printed it our copy. It is Note Taking & Outlining by Q. L Pearce. It's a Frank Schaffer Publication. You can find it here: https://www.amazon.com/Taking-Outlining-Grades-Schaffer-Publications/dp/0742418308/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Note+Taking+%26+Outlining+Frank+Schaffer+Publications&qid=1596217431&s=books&sr=1-1

The other is also a workbook titled Note Taking by Deborah White Broadwater. You can find it here: https://www.amazon.com/Note-Taking-Grades-Lessons-Research/dp/1580372538/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Note+Taking+by+Deborah+White+Broadwater&qid=1596217612&s=books&sr=1-1

I'll be following the post in case someone  recommends a good resource for the high school level 🙂.  Hope this helps.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This website shows several note-taking methods.  

Once you decide on a style of note-taking, I suggest you watch a lecture together and each of you take notes.  After five minutes, stop it and discuss what you each wrote and why.  Then continue, stopping every so often to discuss.  Be sure he doesn't think your way is the only "right" way!  Discussing and comparing is just to help him see what a more experienced note-taker would write down.

As for how to use notes to study, this method is more or less what my college student does, with great success.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, klmama said:

This website shows several note-taking methods.  

Once you decide on a style of note-taking, I suggest you watch a lecture together and each of you take notes.  After five minutes, stop it and discuss what you each wrote and why.  Then continue, stopping every so often to discuss.  Be sure he doesn't think your way is the only "right" way!  Discussing and comparing is just to help him see what a more experienced note-taker would write down.

As for how to use notes to study, this method is more or less what my college student does, with great success.

Thank you! That's a great idea. (I mean, my way is the right way, of course, but I'll entertain other ways! HA!)

31 minutes ago, stlily said:

There are two simple workbooks I can recommend but they're both geared for upper elementary and middle school.  The first one was recommended in the 3rd edition of TWTM for the logic stage and is only available as a PDF download. I printed it our copy. It is Note Taking & Outlining by Q. L Pearce. It's a Frank Schaffer Publication. You can find it here: https://www.amazon.com/Taking-Outlining-Grades-Schaffer-Publications/dp/0742418308/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Note+Taking+%26+Outlining+Frank+Schaffer+Publications&qid=1596217431&s=books&sr=1-1

The other is also a workbook titled Note Taking by Deborah White Broadwater. You can find it here: https://www.amazon.com/Note-Taking-Grades-Lessons-Research/dp/1580372538/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Note+Taking+by+Deborah+White+Broadwater&qid=1596217612&s=books&sr=1-1

I'll be following the post in case someone  recommends a good resource for the high school level 🙂.  Hope this helps.

I'll definitely take a look at those. I'm not opposed to middle school level if it makes it easy to understand. Appreciate the help.

40 minutes ago, Plum said:

Oh that sounds interesting! 
I usually have my kids watch How to Become a Superstar Student from Great Courses, it has a lecture on note taking and some others you might find helpful. I believe it’s on GCPlus as well. 
I would also look on YouTube for a video on Cornell Notes. 

That sounds interesting! I'll take a look at that Great Courses option!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Plum said:

Oh that sounds interesting! 
I usually have my kids watch How to Become a Superstar Student from Great Courses, it has a lecture on note taking and some others you might find helpful. I believe it’s on GCPlus as well. 
I would also look on YouTube for a video on Cornell Notes. 

 

Plum beat me to the punch. My two 16 year olds got a lot out of How to Become a Superstar Student from Great Courses. I watched it w/ them and thought it was great.

And. . . just adding: there's a point in one of SWB's (man) lessons that teaches kids how to listen and remember during a lecture which means your guy is doing great. 🙂

W.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, theelfqueen said:

Note a note taking course but the Crash Course Study Skills video series (youtube) was a nice resource for my kid who thought superstar student was NEVERENDING and too much. 

Thanks! That's a great place to start!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...