Menu

Read alouds for my teens?

I have pretty much exhausted the WTM logic stage lists.  I am looking for suggestions. Sorry for the brain dump here. 

Normally, read alouds involve them just sitting and me reading, except for the plays.  We do discuss the books when I am done. 

In the past year (or so) I have read aloud:

The Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Invisible Man
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Pygmalion (we read this reader's theater style)
The Count of Monte Cristo
Pudd’nhead Wilson
War of the Worlds
15 or more short stories from Figuratively Speaking

Hamlet (read along with audio version of play)

I have on my list to cover this year:

Around the World in 80 Days

and possibly Oliver Twist??

If we follow TWTM, there are plays we have not covered for logic stage yet (but my kids said they want a break from plays after Hamlet):  A Man for All Seasons, The Merchant of Venice

I have a couple Hornblower books. 

Any other thoughts about good read alouds for this age? (13 and almost 15). 

They do like fantasy and seem to like science fiction (although we haven't read much). I do own the Lewis Science fiction trilogy.

• Like 1

I was struck by your comment that they just sit while you read.  I encourage you to put them to work while they listen!  Have them fold laundry, sweep the floor, wash dishes, or anything else that's fairly mindless, so they can listen, but that's still essential to the functioning of the home.  There's no reason to save it all for later!

• Like 4

Have you read The Wee Free Men?

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (we chuckled last night at the Count of MC reference)

The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Nighttime is on my list of possibilities.

None of these will ever show up on the WTM lists no matter how many revisions there are, but they make good reading!

• Like 2

The CS Lewis sci fi trilogy is fantastic! The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings were also big hits.

Surprisingly, we also enjoyed James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small. My older kids absolutely loved the dry humor!

Anna Karenina - I'm having my DD read this to herself this year, but as I was reading it I was struck often by how much fun it would have been to read it out loud to her. I don't think boys would like it as much though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

I thought Starship Troopers was interesting and I hate sci-fi.  

I thought discussing the idea of voting rights only going to veterans would be great. Never got to it w/my eldest, though...

• Like 1