Menu

why do my appliances break at the same time?

So, posted about my vacuum.....still don't have a new one but I think I am going to get one of the ones that goes on sale at Costco next week.

One of my freezers died last week too.  Thankfully it is the smaller of the two and we only paid $10 for it.  

Today, my stand mixer died.  It belonged to MIL, she passed in 2011.  SIL inherited it, but two years later, she gave it to me because she already had one so she never used this one.  

I *need* to get a new vacuum.  I probably need a new freezer since the upright isn't large enough to hold the beef and pork we will be getting in the next month or two.  But the stand mixer....I don't *need* one.  But man, after I received it, I wondered why I had never gotten one before.  I have had a million hand mixers, and hated every one and ended up mixing stuff by hand............which meant I made less stuff from scratch.  

*sigh*

• Sad 2

Ugh sorry.  It sounds like the mixer was sort of old?  Everything always seems to break at the same time.    For us this month it was the microwave, kitchen faucet, smoke alarms, and the water heater.     Vacuum is on the way out too.

Hopefully this means you have a long time until anything else breaks. 

This happened to my BFF.  Every. single. kitchen. appliance.  The sinks in her bathroom cracked.  (!!!!)   Her dog died.  The house alarm system died.  ETA:  her basement flooded.  The septic backed up.  The deck fell OFF her mountain cabin.  

All within a month of the death of her beloved husband.  

It was AWFUL.  

• Sad 5

That's how last year was for us.  The drawer fronts came of the front of the bathroom cabinet leaving lots of ragged staple ends, the refrigerator died, the patio door had an undetected leak around the frame that resulted in the frame rooting out, the kitchen floor being damaged and the ceiling damaged in the room below.  The sump pump died while I was on vacation for 2 weeks.  The entire basement was carpeted, It ALL had to be replaced (which was 45% of our living space). There was black mold in an upstairs bedroom so we had to rip open the wall to find the source and while cleaning up the basement after the sump pump fiasco, we discovered a crack in the foundation.  That was in a 5 month period.  The only good news is that we did massive decluttering in the process and I have lots of nice new flooring and furniture.  But the process was absolutely and completely sucky.  I'm sorry you are having a streak like this and hope it is over shortly.

• Sad 3

That sucks! If you need a new freezer I would get on ordering it now. The backlog is real. When I went and got our dryer yesterday, I was shocked at how many of the floor model fridge and freezers had sold signs on them. Apparently there is a 2-3 month wait for some things. 

I would say it all breaks to keep dh busy. He's fixed all of those things before, and more! The dryer a couple of times, the washer a couple of times, replaced the thermostat on the freezer, put a new motor in the mixer, etc. He jokes that I never get to buy a new appliance. Not quite true, but he is handy to have around! But I get credit for fixing a shelf that broke in the door of the fridge. I figured out the model #, found the part on Amazon and ordered it, and even figured out how to put it on myself! I think that's all I've managed though.

YouTube is great for videos on how to fix things, if you or your dh want to tinker while you wait.  Dh has managed to fix a bunch of electrical items that way.  Sometimes it's actually the simple parts, not the electronics.  

3 burners on my cooktop died (recent high end model induction) and my 10 year old oven suddenly will not shut off and keeps on heating that we had to disconnect it (DH thinks that a relay failed or that the control board burnt) and I am waiting for the sink to fall off as I can see black rot in the wood under the granite. Seems like too many things are failing in the middle of a pandemic when there is also appliance shortage and I don't want repair people or installers inside my house 😞

4 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

That sucks! If you need a new freezer I would get on ordering it now. The backlog is real. When I went and got our dryer yesterday, I was shocked at how many of the floor model fridge and freezers had sold signs on them. Apparently there is a 2-3 month wait for some things. 

PSA: I was able to find freezers readily, not in HD or Lowes which are sold out of most chest freezers, but in BestBuy which carries their house brand freezer "Insignia" and it is in stock (goes out of stock for a day or two and is back in stock again) and I just got a new freezer from them and I am happy with it (curbside delivery, no hassles, readily available).

Edited by mathnerd
9 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

. Seems like too many things are failing in the middle of a pandemic when there is also appliance shortage and I don't want repair people or installers inside my house 😞

Our dishwasher is suddenly REALLY LOUD, which means we either have to hire someone to fix it (ugh) or DH has to fix it. DH *can* fix it, but he's one of those fix-it guys that yells and swears through the whole process, which stresses me out. I think I'd rather wash dishes by hand than either fix-it option right now.

We've had a year like that, too.  Dishwasher, Stove/Oven, Microwave and washing machine have all died as well as a furnace, an air conditioner and a transmission on our big van.  It's been a ridiculous 12 months for us.

10 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

So, posted about my vacuum.....still don't have a new one but I think I am going to get one of the ones that goes on sale at Costco next week.

One of my freezers died last week too.  Thankfully it is the smaller of the two and we only paid $10 for it.  

Today, my stand mixer died.  It belonged to MIL, she passed in 2011.  SIL inherited it, but two years later, she gave it to me because she already had one so she never used this one.  

I *need* to get a new vacuum.  I probably need a new freezer since the upright isn't large enough to hold the beef and pork we will be getting in the next month or two.  But the stand mixer....I don't *need* one.  But man, after I received it, I wondered why I had never gotten one before.  I have had a million hand mixers, and hated every one and ended up mixing stuff by hand............which meant I made less stuff from scratch.  

*sigh*

You have my sympathies.  We bought a house five years ago that was just turning 20.  The appliances apparently shared the house's birthday?
We've replaced the kitchen disposal, washer, dryer (twice), fridge, stove, water heater (complete with flooded basement), well pump, dishwasher, laundry vanity/plumbing, and, by choice, all four potties.  The only thing left to replace is the A/C (currently dead) and the furnace.  Yep.  And vacuums are always an annual or semi annual thing for us - living in the country/rural roads/dust/mud paired with this many girls (long hair) they do not survive.

Maybe your power supply is dodgy?  Sometimes low or high voltage can kill stuff.

but yeah... I have a limping dishwasher oven and car.  I don’t want to work and homeschool at the same time and there’s no jobs anyway.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Our dishwasher is suddenly REALLY LOUD, which means we either have to hire someone to fix it (ugh) or DH has to fix it. DH *can* fix it, but he's one of those fix-it guys that yells and swears through the whole process, which stresses me out. I think I'd rather wash dishes by hand than either fix-it option right now.

I have one of those guys too, especially for plumbing. I hate it when plumbing fails. I'd much rather he do an electrical fix which is rather peaceful comparably.

Same here. We've had to replace the washer, dryer, vacuum, and refrigerator, all in the last 6 weeks. Also, in the last two weeks, my car went into the shop TWICE, I then blew a tire getting off the highway and had to change it in a parking garage, and DS24's car died and he had to buy a new (used) one. It's always something!

• Sad 1