Menu

If you've used VP Self Paced History...Need ideas

monalisa

If you've used VP SP history, I need some ideas.  DD9 (4th grade) did VP self paced NT, Greece & Rome last year.  She learned a fair amount, and enjoyed it to some extent.  We did quite a few of the literature selections as read alouds.  What I didn't like about it was how much screen time it required every day, and the review games were not infrequently frustrating for her (and I really wish there was a parent override for some of those silly games--they sucked up so much time without adding any value). 

I wish I hadn't done this now, but when the VPSA sale came along in the spring, I went ahead and bought the next level  (MARR) thinking DD would work on it some over the summer.   She did a few lessons at the end of the spring, but this level isn't as engaging for her and I've had a hard time getting her to do any over the summer.  If I'd thought through this early enough, I could have gotten my money back, but the 90 days refund period is now a month past.

I'm thinking maybe I need to switch to a no-screen course that covers this time period with lots of books, and possibly use VP as a supplement.   I've been looking at MFW Rome to Reformation.  Another idea is chuck the time period altogether and start with MFW Creation to Greeks, or even do a year of American History  before starting a 4 year history rotation in 5th grade.  She did a little bit of colonial American History in 1st grade, and Sonlight B in 2nd grade, which was a bust, so she's light on American history knowledge.  She did not yet do the VP Self Pace OT/Egypt. 

If you've had a similar struggle with VP, what did you end up doing?  Did you add to VP self paced in some way?  Any other ideas for  book-based Middle Ages, Rome, Reformation that would be good for 4th grade, that isn't teacher intensive?  I do own Mystery of History and SOTW, but I'm leaning toward something planned out for me a little more (thus the draw to MFW). 

I know what you mean about the games. We also had problems with the program being glitchy and getting stuck, so I had them unlock the course and set it up as an audit. That way you can do any lesson in any order, skip things, etc. It does not keep a record of their grade with the audit option, though. You could do that and add the literature pack rather than switch to a whole new program. 

Have you looked at the VP printed materials? Do they still sell a pdf ™ on cd that goes with the cards? So simple to implement. Are you partly missing doing history WITH her? Maybe you swung too far and just need to balance out tech PLUS you, not all one way.

Have you observed her in her online sessions? It's possible she's having trouble and not able to explain. The games are cumulative, so she would bogdown if she didn't nail things. Also the reading, attention, working memory, visual memory. All kinds of things could show up. Nuts she could just be YOUNG. My dd has ADHD and she always ran kind of young, even though wicked bright. Sometimes later is better for kids.

We did the print curriculum THEN did the online self paced when those came out. It's not overkill and might repair your situation. I'd also sit and do it with her. I sat behind and just busied mysefl. If her attention wandered I snapped her back. She needed support to learn how to do it. Maybe not your dc, but mine did. But i it's not going well, sit with her and figure it out tiogether. More together work to get your joy back.

10 hours ago, kristin0713 said:

problems with the program being glitchy and getting stuck

Now this was several years ago for us, but for us that was needing a new computer, sigh.

10 hours ago, kristin0713 said:

I know what you mean about the games. We also had problems with the program being glitchy and getting stuck, so I had them unlock the course and set it up as an audit. That way you can do any lesson in any order, skip things, etc. It does not keep a record of their grade with the audit option, though. You could do that and add the literature pack rather than switch to a whole new program. 

Wow, I didn't know this was an option!  Yes, we have problems with glitches and getting stuck sometimes too, so I should do this.  Sometimes it seems like its caused by my browser, but sometimes that doesn't seem to matter.   I would love to be able to skip around, and not have the grading. I feel like it isn't adding much for us.  Thanks!

12 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Have you looked at the VP printed materials? Do they still sell a pdf ™ on cd that goes with the cards? So simple to implement. Are you partly missing doing history WITH her? Maybe you swung too far and just need to balance out tech PLUS you, not all one way.

Have you observed her in her online sessions? It's possible she's having trouble and not able to explain. The games are cumulative, so she would bogdown if she didn't nail things. Also the reading, attention, working memory, visual memory. All kinds of things could show up. Nuts she could just be YOUNG. My dd has ADHD and she always ran kind of young, even though wicked bright. Sometimes later is better for kids.

We did the print curriculum THEN did the online self paced when those came out. It's not overkill and might repair your situation. I'd also sit and do it with her. I sat behind and just busied mysefl. If her attention wandered I snapped her back. She needed support to learn how to do it. Maybe not your dc, but mine did. But i it's not going well, sit with her and figure it out tiogether. More together work to get your joy back.

Now this was several years ago for us, but for us that was needing a new computer, sigh.

I haven't looked much at the printed; I have a hard time finding samples of things on VP's site, but I should check that out.  I do own all the cards plus all the older grades literature. 

Yes, I probably do miss doing history with her.  I let my older daughter do all of the courses completely on her own in 4th-7th grade, and in retrospect I have some regret about that, after doing SOTW with her earlier.  (Also, I felt like the VP courses didn't make her WORK enough, and that bit her big time in 8th grade when she took a textbook-based live history course. It is kind of hard for me to see how the VP self paced courses actually are preparing kids to do Omnibus.)

I haven't observed her as closely as you mention, but I've thought of that being something I should do.  I'm usually in the room, but not paying enough attention until she is starting to have a melt down over something like a game, etc.  I should just sit with her for every lesson.   And yes, I think in some ways she is on the young side for it.  My older daughter was 2 years older when she did the same courses (and she still had some issues with the games!) so I think that is an element at play here. 

Great points & suggestions!  Thank you!!!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, monalisa said:

I'm usually in the room, but not paying enough attention until she is starting to have a melt down over something like a game, etc.  I should just sit with her for every lesson.

It probably won't take that long, certainly not the whole year. :smile: She might need some problem solving or emotional regulation strategies. You can make a list with pictures and review before each session. Sometimes thoe skills are more important than the history.

Yeah we neverdid Omnibus. Bought but didn't do. There are so many ways to do things, don't stress. Do what is important for her. If Mom time is important, more Mom time. If problem solving skills or tis or that, work on those skills.

Remember too history is not the only way to teach the skills you want to see later. You can weave outling, notetaking, test taking etc. into science, etc. Is she taking NOTES during the VP? Maybe it would be timely? I think my dd may have in the later levels. Could be really great.

We have had the same issues with VP SP courses. My older kids only did a couple of classes, and then we moved onto other things. Now I find myself working part time and needing my youngest to have some things she can do on her own so we are back to VP. I am adding some to it this year to help with more retention and engagement. We will be doing some art/notebooking with fun lit studies. I also like the idea of teaching some notetaking and outlining skills. 

• Like 1