Menu

Poking around in other people’s lunch bags at work.

You’re the only one around and you open the break room fridge. You curiously open the lunch totes of others and poke around to see what they have packed for lunch. This is odd, right?

(I haven’t done this. Someone told me that they have been with someone who does this in their presence).

• Like 1
  • Confused 9

It’s probably weird to ask that and obvious to most people that it’s boundary-crossing.   And it’d hard to explain how these types of things can be done and can seemingly look so benign.....when you’ve been around things like this long enough, it becomes almost normal. It seems boundary- crossing to me, but just wanted some validation on that. 

What freaks me out even more is people who eat other people's lunch. I mean who does that? What exactly are they thinking that makes them think this is acceptable in any way.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, OKBud said:

That's a super weird Creed Bratton move. 

Ok I had to go look that up, lol. I’ve never watched The Office, but I’m going to assume this character is “that guy” who goes around doing little things like that but done in funny, sitcom way. Or maybe his character is a bit more toxic....

Edited by Indigo Blue

Not cool. 

I have to say though, community fridges are like a lottery. Buy the ticket and take your chances. I always carry my lunch in a sack large enough for a cooling block. 

Edited by Seasider too
  • Like 2
33 minutes ago, KidsHappen said:

What freaks me out even more is people who eat other people's lunch. I mean who does that? What exactly are they thinking that makes them think this is acceptable in any way.

We had this happen all the time when I worked at UT. I quit taking my lunch and refused to ever use a group fridge again. I always bought my own personal fridge for my office. People were disgusting long before this plague and it's not changing anything long term- people will be disgusting afterward too! I don't believe in sharing anything in the office kitchen. The communal silverware and cups are disgusting too! 

3 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

You’re the only one around and you open the break room fridge. You curiously open the lunch totes of others and poke around to see what they have packed for lunch. This is odd, right?

(I haven’t done this. Someone told me that they have been with someone who does this in their presence).

Odd, yes. Also and more importantly, it is offensive and breaks important boundaries.

• Like 2

That’s just gross. If I were “in charge” I’d take the fridge out altogether and tell people to pack a cooler. I’d even buy the individual cooler/lunchbox for them. I’m kinda strict on shared spaces, though. I’d also take out microwaves and fridges if they weren’t kept clean. In kindergarten we all learned to keep our hands to ourselves and to clean up after ourselves. Everyone should. act like a grown up. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, KidsHappen said:

I know someone with Prader-Willi syndrome who has lost at least one job because of this.   He has special needs so there was employment support in place for these jobs but it just didn't work out because of the constant hunger and the access to the refrigerator.  (His parents have to restrict access to food at home with locks.)  It's very, very sad.  

(I know this is a rare example, and I'm only explaining, not excusing.)

1 hour ago, Indigo Blue said:

Ok I had to go look that up, lol. I’ve never watched The Office, but I’m going to assume this character is “that guy” who goes around doing little things like that but done in funny, sitcom way. Or maybe his character is a bit more toxic....

funny, sitcom-y weirdo 🙂 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TechWife said:

That’s just gross. If I were “in charge” I’d take the fridge out altogether and tell people to pack a cooler. I’d even buy the individual cooler/lunchbox for them. I’m kinda strict on shared spaces, though. I’d also take out microwaves and fridges if they weren’t kept clean. In kindergarten we all learned to keep our hands to ourselves and to clean up after ourselves. Everyone should. act like a grown up. 

Yes! One place I worked tried to make a rotating departmental list in charge of cleaning out the communal fridge where 4 of us each had a week. I was very much, um, no. I don't use it, I'm not touching your skanky fridge. Feel free to fire me, lol. 

• Like 1

Eew, no. Add me to the list of people who don’t use communal anything in my office - fridge, microwave, utinsels, etc. I bring what I need or make other arrangements. Gross, and so rude! 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Yes! One place I worked tried to make a rotating departmental list in charge of cleaning out the communal fridge where 4 of us each had a week. I was very much, um, no. I don't use it, I'm not touching your skanky fridge. Feel free to fire me, lol. 

You know how that would go. You'd do your part and clean up when it was your turn, then it wouldn't be cleaned again until it was your turn again! lol. 

• Like 1