Menu

Do you have a favorite "pick me up" drink? (not coffee)

Meadowlark

I don't drink coffee, and that's what most people I know have in the morning to get going. I emerge from my bed (even after a shower) pretty half-asleep with no desire to get things rolling. And yet, i need to emerge fresh and energetic (or at least that's the dream!). OR, around 3:00 when I feel like I need a nap-maybe something then would help me? 

I don't really want something unhealthy per se, just something with some natural caffeine or something to get me going-for the love of God. So, hit me with your favorite good-tasting drinks that give you some energy.

I've been into fresh mint leaves (stem and all) with a big slice of lemon and a little honey, with hot water poured over all of it.  I doubt it gives me energy based on its ingredients, but it tastes invigorating to me.

My dd has been getting into mushroom coffee.  I can't find the brand right now, but it looks like there are plenty of options out there.  

• Like 2

Just now, Bagels McGruffikin said:

Does Diet Coke count on the bad list? Because I big puffy heart love it, it’s my one vice on an otherwise ridiculously nutrient dense diet.

If not that, Melon or Mango White Tea, served iced.  So refreshing.

I forgot to mention that I'm trying to not drink as much pop. My big puffy heart love is Cherry Pepsi. 

• Like 1

I keep the bottles of Lipton Diet Green Tea-Citrus nice and cold in the garage fridge and only get one when I feel like I need a “pick me up”. 
FYI: I normally have no problem with generic, but the Costco brand of these leave a “bite” in my throat🥴

My "pick me up" drink is usually administered in the afternoon, but in the summers I make either:

- a smoothie, I've done both milk/yogurt based and coconut water based, with various fruits and maybe some veg

- iced mint tea with a little bit of sugar/honey/agave/sweetner of choice if the need is bad

- chocolate milk!

These aren't really natural caffeine based, it's the sugar doing the trick, but they get me through that rough period on a hot afternoon where the only true wish is to take a nap. 

I like lemon tea or some of the tevana flavors like youth berry in the afternoon.  My pick me up of choice in college when working all night on lab reports was a Route 44 (the big one) cherry lime-aid from sonic.  Sugar!!!  I actually don’t have to drink it, just thinking about it makes me jump.  I believe much of it is the action of drinking it and attitude.  Caffeine never kept me up except when pregnant, but my cup of coffee in the morning makes me happy mostly because of the routine created around it.

I love the Good Girl Moonshine recipe from Trim Healthy Mama.  There are many variations, but I use 2-3 Tb of raw apple cider vinegar, 1-2 drop of Stevia, a pinch of ginger, a pinch of cayenne and maybe a squeeze of lemon juice in a pint sized (16 oz) mason jar.  I fill 1/2 way with ice and the rest with water.  It's so refreshing.   Sometimes if I'm really dragging, I'll add the GGMS ingredients to a glass of iced tea and it's even better.

An Emergen-C packet is also a nice pick me up, though expensive.

Incidentally, are you able to get more sleep?  I understand it's not always possible, but nothing's going to replace sleep if you're tired.

• Like 1

I don't like coffee either, but my youngest introduced me to the double chocolate mocha at Dutch Bros, and with enough chocolate, I can drink the coffee. The caffeine and sugar are enough to get me going for a few hours, even if I skip breakfast. Here's my home recipe: microwave 1 cup milk for 1 min. Add 1 packet of Starbuck's Via  and 2 Tbs. of Torani dark chocolate syrup. Microwave 1 min more. Sip and enjoy.

8 minutes ago, bethben said:

Kombucha—fruit flavored.  

Okay, this is an actual serious question: is there a flavor to kombucha other than death? I mean, is there actually a brand/flavor of kombucha that tastes good, not ...like kombucha?

Maybe it's just me, in which case no offense to those of you with evolved palettes. I'm trying to acquire a taste for it, but....yeah.  

There’s a live cultures brand (?) that is Dr. Peppered flavored.  I also like some of the GT varieties like watermelon.  I do make my own and flavor it with fruit juices.  It does become an acquired taste somewhat because you have to let your microbiome in your gut to change a bit.  I crave it now.  There are some varieties like mint or lemon that I think are horrid.

• Thanks 1