Menu

What records do you keep for online classes?

I am trying to put together a comprehensive high school records document for my children.   For the classes I teach at home, I have a course description, a list of textbooks/materials, and a table showing how the grade was calculated.   However, If I outsource a class to an online provider, what specific records should I keep?  For example, my son took Algebra with AOPS in 7th grade.   Besides a grade report that I requested, I have no other records-- And I think they've been deleted.   

I keep a syllabus, final grade report and a few work samples. I also extract info from the syllabus to write a brief course description. For math classes, I’ve kept all tests/exams.

My DD completed Thinkwell Government last year. Because it was all online, there was nothing for me to print for records. I included a copy of their lesson plan which included the topics covered and described when quizzes & tests were taken, but I couldn’t find a way to print any of the actual quizzes or tests. Nor was there a good printable grade report. I just hope nobody ever asks to see the records for that class!

• Like 1

We are just entering high school, but for the few classes we have done so far, I printed out the course description and book list and the grade report.  I have all the papers on our computer. The tests and quizzes were online so those are only on the grade report.

This past year my oldest took a high school level class that has since been reworked and no longer is high school credit. So I am really grateful I printed that course description out!

This has not applied yet, but if it used a text, I might be tempted to photocopy the TOC just in case.

Like fourisenough, I generally write my class description in the year we take the class.  My memory stinks.  😃

Edited by cintinative

I make a course description based on the provider's description (sometimes pulling from several places). If there is a syllabus, I like to keep that.

Then the overall grade report and assignment scores (if available).

I also like to keep copies of graded papers.

That said, I have two in college and so far no school has asked for anything beyond my transcript and course descriptions.