Menu

Logic of English Foundations - Questions

Our homeschool program has a site license for Barton so I've been using it for one kiddo or another for about five years.

Currently I have an older child in Level 5, a 10yo in Level 4, two children (9yo & 7yo) in Level 3, and one who will be beginning this year.  As you can imagine - it's a lot.  The oldest student is severe/profound and in high school so that can, at times, be overwhelming.  The second child in Level 3 is not dyslexic - it's just the level she's at and so I give her a repeat "lite" lesson when my 9yo is done rather than utilizing a separate program, kwim?

I'm wondering if LOE Foundations has workbooks that could provide some additional reinforcement of what I'm already doing? The 10yo is very quick but the reinforcement would be great.  The 9yo needs all the reinforcement she can get and repetition, repetition, repetition.  I can see she also struggles with low working memory and holding information.  I'm happy with her forward progress but feel she needs more repetition and she enjoys workbooks.

Thoughts?

Each page is fairly sparse in the LOE workbooks, so there's really not a lot to keep her busy. Also, Foundations introduces a *lot* more information a *lot* more quickly than Barton. ETA: Here I mean, it was too much, too fast for dd8, who I'll describe below. The last part of B and C really ramp up. I'm not sure that the workbooks would be a good fit. I don't have any anymore, or I'd refresh my memory.

My 8 year old sounds like your 9 year old that struggles with working memory, needing repetition, etc. She's in Level 3 as well, and we needed to slow way down as the spelling rules were added - after the second rule it was clear she needed much more repetition.

A few weeks ago, I ordered a few card games from Spelling Success. You've probably seen their flyers in the Barton box. I got the sight word slap it game, the short vowel memory game, and the spelling rules game. 

These games have helped a LOT. They're simple, but the cards are nice-quality, and it's all put together to match Barton. Both the kids enjoy them (ds isn't quite to the spelling rules yet, though). I've been really pleasantly surprised at how much the spelling rules game has helped dd. 

Another thing that has helped is the Quizlet decks, just for fluency. The info about them is on the Barton tutor page.

I wonder if the older 2 could play some games with the youngers to reinforce both? It does take some time, and isn't independent, although we've gotten much quicker with some experience. But maybe it would benefit both players, if they work well together?

Edited by Jentrovert

2 hours ago, Jentrovert said:

Each page is fairly sparse in the LOE workbooks, so there's really not a lot to keep her busy. Also, Foundations introduces a *lot* more information a *lot* more quickly than Barton. ETA: Here I mean, it was too much, too fast for dd8, who I'll describe below. The last part of B and C really ramp up. I'm not sure that the workbooks would be a good fit. I don't have any anymore, or I'd refresh my memory.

I'd say about 50% of the pages in the workbook wouldn't  even make a lot of sense as a stand alone - they are activities that require the directions from the teacher's manual - a prompt of some sort, or game instructions...etc.   The remaining pages aren't really that amazing - they are things like sentences to read and match with pictures, copywork, a few basic grammar exercises, maybe some fluency pages.  (Not a knock on LOE for the right kid -- I loved foundations with my two middle kids who are typically developing readers.  But I  got really tired of it with my youngest who turned out to be dyslexic - he didn't retain very much beyond the first half of B despite multiple tries).

Maybe SPIRE workbooks would give you more bang for your buck in terms of workbook pages that are similar in philosophy? (Some of the workbook pages you would need to have the "reader" to pair with it to make the worksheet make sense, but their books are pretty cheap).  I am just occasionally pulling in SPIRE resources in working with my youngest as my library has copies of all the books.  It's kind of a nice lazy supplement when I don't have time for what I am usually doing. I find I don't need the teacher manual to make sense of SPIRE's other books.

• Like 1

Thank you! It's funny, I was just taking notes on game options yesterday.  I have two in Level 3 currently and one in Level 4, so games would be a huge hit here.  I think the 9yo would respond well.  Thank you for the information on Foundations.  I was hoping for something like Explode the Code but just more level specific, kwim? But I guess that is not going to fit the bill.  

I very much appreciate the suggestions here and will look closely at them!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

Thank you! It's funny, I was just taking notes on game options yesterday.  I have two in Level 3 currently and one in Level 4, so games would be a huge hit here.  I think the 9yo would respond well.  Thank you for the information on Foundations.  I was hoping for something like Explode the Code but just more level specific, kwim? But I guess that is not going to fit the bill.  

I very much appreciate the suggestions here and will look closely at them!

spelling success has terrific games

the Spelfabet worksheets are cheap ($10 a level) and OG based, very much like ETC. Out of AUS so a few words different. Otherwise great. Also she has free games  https://www.spelfabet.com.au

• Like 1

On 7/30/2020 at 12:35 PM, PeterPan said:

spelling success has terrific games

the Spelfabet worksheets are cheap ($10 a level) and OG based, very much like ETC. Out of AUS so a few words different. Otherwise great. Also she has free games  https://www.spelfabet.com.au

Yes, Spelfebet has a lot of games...the paid ones look good too, she should have something.

You could print out Don Potter's Blend Phonics decoding cards and play games with them to make the repetition funner.

http://donpotter.net/education_pages/blend_phonics.html

My nonsense word game, you can vary the cards you use to be what you're working on.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On Phonics/concentrationgam.html

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Have you looked on Teachers Pay Teachers to see if there are maybe activity sheets that go along with the Barton levels?

I’m using a mix of things this year but have been able to find independent work things that match up with some of them from TPT. (I got the Wonders program sight word activity sheets for K, for example. I’m not using Wonders but want my kids to know their sight works lists because the little ones will return to ps in a year or two)

• Like 1