Menu

Textbook/workbook for Spanish

Looking for recommendations for high school Spanish (textbook/workbook) for my boys.  This would be a supplement to their in-person (now on-line because of COVID) class.  

I don't need DVDs, etc.  Just looking for textbook, workbook, or both. 

I love Avancemos,  but a big part of that is how well it works as a whole curriculum,  regularly reinforcing both previously learned vocab and grammar while adding new info. 

If I were looking for a supplement to other teaching,  I'd probably look at something else. What areas are you looking to reinforce? 

Edited by Matryoshka
fixed typo
  • Like 3

I love Avancemos as a whole curriculum-- but what Matryoshka said above is correct, it's the whole package that makes it great-- the activities, conversations, interactions. If I just wanted a supplemental workbook I might use Breaking the Barrier. It has great "workbook" activities that will reinforce what they are learning. 

• Like 2

Thanks all!  I am specifically looking for grammar study and exercises.  It is fine if it has vocabulary.  They will be in a local class for Spanish 2 Honors this year.  I don't need CDs/DVDs.  We are just looking for more practice and reinforcement of grammar rules.

1 hour ago, ByGrace3 said:

I love Avancemos as a whole curriculum-- but what Matryoshka said above is correct, it's the whole package that makes it great-- the activities, conversations, interactions. If I just wanted a supplemental workbook I might use Breaking the Barrier. It has great "workbook" activities that will reinforce what they are learning. 

Would we just be able to use the workbook or do we have to buy the whole program?

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

Would we just be able to use the workbook or do we have to buy the whole program?

Breaking the Barrier is a worktext.  That book is pretty much the whole curriculum - it does have some audio exercises,  but you could skip those.  Or just get one of the Practice Makes Perfect workbooks - I think they have introductory grammar,  complete grammar, then focused ones like on  verbs, or pronouns and prepositions. They are designed for just what you're looking for, I think - supplementary practice.  

16 hours ago, mlktwins said:

You can just get the workbook. It has vocabulary but does not have exercises just to practice those-- it is integrated into the grammar. 

3 minutes ago, ByGrace3 said:

You can just get the workbook. It has vocabulary but does not have exercises just to practice those-- it is integrated into the grammar. 

That's a bit of a weakness of the BtB curriculum if you're using it as the main thing - the vocab is kind of randomly introduced and never really systematically practiced - I think he must just expect the kids to do flashcards.  But the grammar exercises and teaching are very good, if that's mainly what you're using it for.

I'm planning on using BtB this year with some semi-bilingual kids who have already got great vocab but need to hit the grammar hard.

Just now, Matryoshka said:

That's a bit of a weakness of the BtB curriculum if you're using it as the main thing - the vocab is kind of randomly introduced and never really systematically practiced - I think he must just expect the kids to do flashcards.  But the grammar exercises and teaching are very good, if that's mainly what you're using it for.

I'm planning on using BtB this year with some semi-bilingual kids who have already got great vocab but need to hit the grammar hard.

Absolutely agree here. I am using BtB with my dd, but I use Avancemos at the school where I teach. Avancemos does an excellent job of teaching vocabulary, and a decent job at grammar. BtB does sub par vocab teaching and excellent grammar exercises. We use Quizlet for BtB and a lot of conversation and games to get the vocab practice in.