Menu

This happened in Walmart today

Honestly it is hard not to think that some people deserve to get sick.

I wish our country was behaving differently, at some point I'd like to leave my house again.

• Like 15
  • Sad 1

I'm pretty clueless. Based on your post, I'm guessing it is a pair of panties?

It looks like that crêpe paper I've decorated with in the past, so that would have been my guess. 

Because it is Walmart, nothing would surprise me.

• Like 7

It’s a lace thong.  He’s fairly well known locally and does it in protest because it meets the requirements of covering your mouth and nose.  I’ve heard of him but haven’t seen him till he was behind me in line today.

Practically no one in my community takes Covid very seriously, likely because our rates are so low people don’t even know anyone who has tested positive.  So people here just roll their eyes or think it’s funny. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 5

I was always going to Publix or Fresh Market because both of those stores had better compliance with masks though Fresh Market even better than Publix.  Just came back from it and everybody was wearing one and none of these idiotic underwear things either.  

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

On the other hand, the “surgical masks” I snagged in the ER while working last night are so thin you can see right through them, so I’m not sure a good solid pair of panties wouldn’t be better. Not lace ones though.

Masks are mandatory here so there’s pretty good compliance, but I suspect half of the “masks” people are using are all but worthless.

Edited by Medicmom2.0
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

There was a video going around a week or so ago of three women who walked into a store, stopped with their carts, reached under their skirts to take off their underwear, and put it on as a mask.  

• Confused 12
4 minutes ago, Medicmom2.0 said:

On the other hand, the “surgical masks” I snagged in the ER while working last night are so thin you can see right through them, so I’m not sure a good solid pair of panties wouldn’t be better. Not lace ones though.

Masks are mandatory here so there’s pretty good compliance, but I suspect half of the “masks” people are using are all but worthless.

YES. This.

I have been forced to go to a series of medical appointments due to back and neck pain. I think I may have a herniated disk but won't know until Thursday when I get the MRI results.

They will not let me enter the building until I take off my freshly-laundered, double thickness, closely-fitted homemade mask and put on their idiotic paper mask that has vast, gaping holes on all four sides. And I see plenty of people inside the building with the mask pulled UNDER their noses, which is ineffective and makes me want to scream.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5
13 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I am fascinated by the tattoo on the chick's leg walking away. 

Am I the only one who scrolled back up to look at said tattoo?? LOL! 

• Haha 10
Just now, Harriet Vane said:

YES. This.

I have been forced to go to a series of medical appointments due to back and neck pain. I think I may have a herniated disk but won't know until Thursday when I get the MRI results.

They will not let me enter the building until I take off my freshly-laundered, double thickness, closely-fitted homemade mask and put on their idiotic paper mask that has vast, gaping holes on all four sides. And I see plenty of people inside the building with the mask pulled UNDER their noses, which is ineffective and makes me want to scream.

My mom had to have a procedure done. An employee at the center, who was himself wearing a cloth face mask, made her remove her similarly close-fitting, 2-layers of quilter's cotton mask and put on their paper, gaping-wide-open one. 

The irony of the guy enforcing it, wearing a cloth mask like hers, was a bit baffling to me. (Irony? Hypocrisy? Double standard? whatever, it made me laugh and shake my head in disbelief when she told me).

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

There was a video going around a week or so ago of three women who walked into a store, stopped with their carts, reached under their skirts to take off their underwear, and put it on as a mask.  

That is seriously gross. 🤢

• Like 8
1 minute ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I think it's a fox. I am determined to figure this out.

Maybe a bobcat? They’re fairly common here, but I have no clue why people would want a tattoo on their calf of one.

But every time i go to Walmart I am struck by how much I don’t know or understand about people.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 5
1 minute ago, Medicmom2.0 said:

Maybe a bobcat? They’re fairly common here, but I have no clue why people would want a tattoo on their calf of one.

But every time i go to Walmart I am struck by how much I don’t know or understand about people.

They lady behind him looks like OMG, I cannot believe I'm having to stand behind Yellow Panties here. This is such an excellent portrait, snapshot in time. 

• Like 12
  • Haha 4
5 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I think it's a fox. I am determined to figure this out.

hmm, looked Corgi-ish to me, or at least most likely "deceased, beloved pet dog"-ish. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, TheReader said:

hmm, looked Corgi-ish to me, or at least most likely "deceased, beloved pet dog"-ish. 

well, looking again...maybe fox/bobcat is more right. How odd!

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Medicmom2.0 said:

That's just so wrong.

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

Quoting myself to mention, they evidently shared the video themselves.  They were trying to make a statement and felt that was the way to do it.

• Confused 1

Perhaps it's one of those "No regerts" tattoos where the artist was drunk or an amateur? It doesn't look much like anything in particular to me but maybe the photo is messing it up. 

Edited for a misspelling because unlike a tattoo artist, I can. 😂 

Edited by frogger
  • Haha 3
5 minutes ago, frogger said:

Perhaps it's one of those "No regerts" tattoos where the artist was drunk or an amateur? It doesn't look much like anything in particular to me but maybe the photo is messing it up. 

Edited for a misspelling because unlike a tattoo artist, I can. 😂 

That's my dd's theory. It's a sad bobcat. 

When masks were first mandated here, I saw two guys who had made themselves masks. They had seen that post going around about using old bras as masks.  They were definitely making a statement by wearing a tiny, tiny bra they cut in half.  Each had one teeny wienie cup and strap. 

10 minutes ago, SereneHome said:

I can't even find the words....why would you post picture of a stranger for others to shame and make fun of him???

Because he isn’t a stranger; though I’d say he’s an acquaintance. I at least know his name and he responded on my FB encouragingly when I posted it earlier.  And he encourages people to take pictures of him when he’s out and about and put them on social media.  This is a publicity stunt protest about being forced to wear masks. He even responded to my comment on FB where I said I figured it was a protest that yes it was, and liked all the people who share it.  There’s several photos of him in various pieces of underwear floating around on local Facebook feeds and he’s posing in most of them.

So I don’t really view this as posting to shame some poor person. It’s a social media stunt to protest being forced to wear masks.  Also, it’s stupid.

• Like 14
13 minutes ago, Medicmom2.0 said:

Because he isn’t a stranger; though I’d say he’s an acquaintance. I at least know his name and he responded on my FB encouragingly when I posted it earlier.  And he encourages people to take pictures of him when he’s out and about and put them on social media.  This is a publicity stunt protest about being forced to wear masks. He even responded to my comment on FB where I said I figured it was a protest that yes it was, and liked all the people who share it.  There’s several photos of him in various pieces of underwear floating around on local Facebook feeds and he’s posing in most of them.

So I don’t really view this as posting to shame some poor person. It’s a social media stunt to protest being forced to wear masks.  Also, it’s stupid.

Thank you for the explanation. It's just gotten really bad on FB and everywhere else- people posting shaming pics of strangers re: mask wearing....

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, SereneHome said:

Thank you for the explanation. It's just gotten really bad on FB and everywhere else- people posting shaming pics of strangers re: mask wearing....

Yeah...I have a child who cannot wear a mask and the shaming on both sides is ridiculous.

This guy wants to be shared and discussed though even if it’s me thinking he’s dumb.  He posed for a friend of mine the other day in Walmart...E0AEA995-DF85-488E-BF81-5F6FB6473E26.thumb.jpeg.2601d7fdcf4977b45063d4c40f2c8e72.jpeg

• Haha 1

I went to Walmart today for the first time probably this calendar year.  My husband and youngest daughter had had their eyes checked at the optometrist there a week or so ago, and my youngest's glasses came in today, so I took her to pick them up.  I was completely shocked that literally everyone I saw (and there were a lot....it was packed) was masked and was wearing the mask appropriately (over both nose and mouth).  Other than the Natural Foods Co-op, I honestly have not seen that level of compliance at ANY of the stores I've been to since March (Kroger, Food Lion a couple times, various restaurants for pick up, Target and Pet Smart a couple times).  I was really pleased and surprised.  

• Like 6
2 hours ago, SereneHome said:

I can't even find the words....why would you post picture of a stranger for others to shame and make fun of him???

If said stranger is using a pair of UNDERWEAR as a (incredibly poor) substitute for a mask, I think he deserves all the mockery that is available.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
4 hours ago, SereneHome said:

Why wouldn't you? It's not like he's accidentally decided to wear underwear as a mask, or like he didn't have any other choice.

• Like 11

I'm betting the Walmart crowd is part of the crowd lamenting Amazon.  Well, when this is what people encounter at Walmart, is it any wonder Amazon is so appealing?  My tendency has been to shop locally first (which means Walmart or Target most of the time) to support businesses employing more locals, but Walmart is where I experience the cringiest people, especially now when it comes using face masks properly, so then I go to Amazon and know I won't have to deal with any employees or other customers in person. When I go to Walmart I see employees and customers wearing masks below their noses and not socially distancing when possible.

• Like 2

The one time this year that I broke down and went to walmart, my dd and I saw a couple of guys wearing masks and stocking shirts onto shelves. Guy 1 pulls DOWN his mask to sneeze and Guy 2 loses his mind on him with plenty of expletives etc. At the time, only employees in the store were wearing masks, very few shoppers complying. My dd turns to me and says "We need to go home and take showers."

Edited by saraha
  • Sad 2

Maybe there could be picture walls of people who show off as rule flouting— then if beds in hospitals are in short supply they can get low priority if they get sick.

I wonder what the panty face guy was like as a toddler and teenager? 

• Haha 2
11 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

Why wouldn't you? It's not like he's accidentally decided to wear underwear as a mask, or like he didn't have any other choice.

He seems clearly to be showing off for the attention.

maybe giving him attention for having women’s underwear on his face stops him from doing something worse to get attention 

the solid padded bras as masks look silly, but might actually work wuite well — two fabric layers and padding between

• Like 1

Someone from Walmart should have asked him to leave the store because he's clearly not fully covering his mouth and nose.  

I saw a story the other day about a man and woman who have been banned from a Walmart in MN for a year because they wore face coverings with swastikas.  But after seeing this guy with his panty "mask" I looked at the story again to see if the couple in MN were fully covered.   And they both had their noses and mouths completely covered so they're fulfilling the health requirement but got banned because of the offensive part.  

If I had to choose which morons I'd rather wait in line with,  the panty guy or the swastika couple, I'd have to choose the ones who are at least complying with the public health standards.

Edited by Laurie
  • Thanks 1

I wish I had never seen this.

Not because it's generally gross.

Or the flaunting of the order.

But, I own that pair of panties. 🤢

• Haha 19

Walmart is the only store within a 30 mile drive so that’s where everyone goes.  Covid is not taken seriously here at all.  In a county of 20,000, we had 14 confirmed cases and four of them were at a nursing home, and the other ten were three families.  None were ever hospitalized and most were asymptomatic. So most people don’t really even know anyone who’s tested positive much less been seriously ill, and the widespread belief is that it’s totally overblown.  So no, he’s not really being shamed in Walmart, because most of the shoppers don’t want to wear masks either.

21 minutes ago, Laurie said:

Someone from Walmart should have asked him to leave the store because he's clearly not fully covering his mouth and nose.  

This is a tricky part of the mask orders. It can get dangerous asking people to comply. That isn't part of the cashier training I imagine. Then, in my locale, the police are not using citations, so you could ask them to respond if he is unruly, but it still quickly has the potential to become an escalated situation. Maybe if the store, in general, has a security guard, but none of the stores near me have that. It is a bit murky.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, SusanC said:

This is a tricky part of the mask orders. It can get dangerous asking people to comply. That isn't part of the cashier training I imagine. Then, in my locale, the police are not using citations, so you could ask them to respond if he is unruly, but it still quickly has the potential to become an escalated situation. Maybe if the store, in general, has a security guard, but none of the stores near me have that. It is a bit murky.

Then there shouldn't be orders, just recommendations.  

I'd still wear a mask.  And I'd still be at risk because of the people who wouldn't wear masks but at least it might take away the incentive for these attention-seeking smart alecks (aka morons).