Menu

Is there something more entertaining like time4learning but more geared for a life skills type kid?

BlueTaelon

I haven't been around in ages but between the yearly school choice evaluation in deciding which path to take and COVID here I am looking at traditional homeschooling again.

Is there something more entertaining like time4learning but more geared for a life skills type kid? For example she needs basic math skills to be able to figure out grocery budgets and bill paying. Doesn't need to know about improper fractions and order of operations. Needs to improve reading and writing skills but doesn't need to know how to diagram a sentence or terms like synonyms and antonyms. We have been stuck in a holding pattern reteaching the same things over and over it seems because we teach the core stuff then the curriculum moves on to whats technically "fluff" for her then she forgets the core important stuff and we have to start all over again! I want something that's going to teach core concepts and stick to it while expanding into various life skills stuff that she will actually use in life and keeps reinforcing the core skills. I can't tell you how many times we've had to reteach borrowing and carrying over the years. Going into 8th and still working on 3rd grade stuff because of this issue. The kid comes up with some amazing ideas but academics are not her thing and this is par the course for her syndrome and academic struggles. Based on what were seeing in older kids/adults with her syndrome 6th grade is about as far as the kids advance by graduation and thats with a ton of supports. I'd rather focus on those skills that will help her be successful in life then teaching stuff thats not going to matter in adulthood. I know I can create my own program from daily life but if its already been done I'd rather not have to come up with things. Thank you:)