Menu

AAR and AAS

omishev

I am jumping into AAR and AAS with kids in 3rd, 1st and preK and am buying things used so it's kind of a mess. Does each kid need their own set of cards and tiles? Does my 3rd grader need cards from levels 1 and 2? Does each kid have one box of cards for spelling and one for reading? I welcome any other advice on jumping in late. Thank you!

AAS really should be started in level 1, but older kids can move faster.  Ideally each student should have their own set of cards as they will be progressing at different levels and have different words in mastered and review piles.  I probably would buy a set for the third grader of level 1.

I would only have one set of tiles, but if starting over I would probably just get the app.  Physical tiles are a bit of a pain.

AAR - probably pre reading for preschool unless showing reading readiness.  First grader AAR 1 to start, but probably a placement test out there.  I probably wouldn’t start AAS until at least done with AAR2.

How well is the third grader reading?  He might not need AAR.  If you do both, he would have a box for reading cards and a box for spelling cards.  If you can find it, the ziggy file folder games are fun for practicing at AAR1 level.  I may still have my set.

customer service is super helpful and they are a great resource for placement questions.  I really loved AAR and wish it had been around for my older kids.  I am currently using AAS 3 right now with my 4th child.

Edited by Mom2mthj

I agree with a pp. The physical tiles are kind of a pain. But...they seem to work much better for the kid I switched to AAS just a couple months ago. When he is writing the words down I see him looking at our tile board and moving them around in his head if he is struggling. Since the physical tiles are working well for now, I haven't purchased the app. Spelling has been such a struggle for this kid, that now that something seems to be clicking, I don't want to mess with it, even if it would be easier for me. It's definitely something I've thought about though.

As for the cards...I've decided to do without them at this point. I just flip back in the teacher's manual and review things. (I make a mark in the margin, so things to be reviewed are extra easy to find.) 

I haven't used AAR, so no advice there. 

I have one set of tiles and one set of cards. Actually, I rarely use the cards after Level 2 of AAR and never for AAS. I start AAS level 1 after they get done with AAR level 1.

I'd start the 3rd grader in AAS level 1 and just go realy quickly until you get to where he/she hasn't learned the rules yet. The 3rd grader might not need AAR at all if they are reading pretty well because AAS will fill in any holes in their phonics knowledge. 

For the 1st grader I'd probably start AAR and then add in AAS after completing AAR level 1.

I skipped the PreK program and just started with AAR level 1 when they were ready to learn to read in K.

I found I rarely used the cards and they were a waste of money for me especially after the first level. You can always make your own cards with index cards (I think the words are in the TM). I would buy the tiles. There was something about physically moving the letters that my kids found fun and that helped concepts really stick. I don't think the app would provide the same effect, at least at my house. 

I agree to start AAS after the first level of AAR is completed. I think that's what is suggested by the publishing company too (?)

• 3 weeks later...