Menu

Online Class - How to use your TI-84

There are some things about doing different things with the TI-84 series graphing calculators that are NOT intuitively obvious. I knew that and I bought the "Dummies" book for my DD, when she got the TI-84 CE Plus. It was one of the first sold in the USA.  I don't remember what year that was, I think for Pre Algebra or Algebra 1, but it went with her and she is about to begin her second year in university and it's there.  🙂

Note: When I bought the "Dummies" book she thought I had wasted money buying it and that she didn't need it. However, sometime after that she told me how great it was that I had purchased the book for her and that she found answers to issues by reading the book. 🙂

• Like 2

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to share what we ended up going with after lots of research:   https://www.amazon.com/Using-TI-84-Plus-Covers-Silver/dp/1617293156/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=TI-84+book&qid=1595712557&sr=8-3

We just got it in the mail today, and it seems very good.  It even has an appendix where it works through several types of SAT math questions and strategies on the most efficient way to use your calculator to answer these questions for time.   

• Like 3

There are some really strange steps one must take to solve various types of problems on a Ti-84 series graphing calculator. I don't remember what they are, because I bought the one DD has when they first became  available in the USA, but with regard to those problems, it is not intuitively obvious... An advantage of the Ti-84 Plus series graphing calculators is that they are ubiquitous in schools in the USA and those issues are known and the Instructors can help the students if they run into those issues.  

OT: The OEM battery in the calculator DD has failed when it was I think approximately one year old. We live in South America so I couldn't send it back for warranty service (they were not sold here at that time and I am not sure if they are sold here now)  and I was not a "Happy Camper".    I bought a non-OEM battery from an eBay Seller in New York (I think in NYC) and that one has worked for years.  The batteries cost approximately $13 USD, including Shipping within the USA. Possibly because of the battery failure, the calculator died,  It froze up.,, I downloaded the latest Software for it from the TI web site and it has been fine since then.   🙂

ETA: For PSAT and SAT exam preparation my DD used the Khan Academy which is Free. They have a tie-in with the College Board. 

Edited by Lanny
add ETA
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 3:31 PM, TheAttachedMama said:

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to share what we ended up going with after lots of research:   https://www.amazon.com/Using-TI-84-Plus-Covers-Silver/dp/1617293156/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=TI-84+book&qid=1595712557&sr=8-3

We just got it in the mail today, and it seems very good.  It even has an appendix where it works through several types of SAT math questions and strategies on the most efficient way to use your calculator to answer these questions for time.   

Thanks!

I was going to make my husband figure it out, but I'll try with this book.  My son and I tried with the instruction manual and didn't get very far, we went back to using the calculators on our phones. 

We used a basic SAT calculator for my daughter, but my son is good at math and engineering and will need a powerful calculator.

27 minutes ago, ElizabethB said:

We used a basic SAT calculator for my daughter, but my son is good at math and engineering and will need a powerful calculator.

Not true 🤣 DS15’s dual enrollment math exams required no calculator usage. My engineering school exams could be done with a cheap scientific calculator or without a calculator. 

There is a question on the AP Calculus exam that requires the graphing calculator to do. That is more of a commercial collaboration between TI, schools and CollegeBoard. 

We just played with the calculator like it was our newest toy gadget and figured out flashing the firmware, loading Pac-Man and using it for the AP Calculus exam. We might have crashed the calculators a few times when programming.

• Like 1