Menu

My DD is in 3rd grade this year. She loves art and color and would probably love The Good and the Beautiful—but it’s out of stock and the PDF is huge, too big to send to print at Staples or someplace. I don’t have a color printer.

Are there similar ELA curriculums that have the same type of art study and pretty looking pages?  I lean Charlotte-Masony. I looked at Blossom and Root but I don’t think she’d like it.

No 😞 

It's so pretty!

Lingua Mater is completely different but does have full color pictures. 

I did REALLY like Cottage Press Primer series 1 and 2 (where your dd would be)....they don't have the picture study *in* the workbooks, but drawing is involved and the books are beautiful in a different way. 

I ended up buy and either framing or laminating a lot of art prints this year. 

Simply Charlotte Mason has excellent picture study packets. I don't know if that would suffice? They're very nice quality and the perfect amount of background info. 

I buy the hard copies: https://simplycharlottemason.com/store/picture-study-portfolios/

I don't blame you for not doing the PDF. I do have a laser printer and bought two levels of handwriting and was still "jeez, that's a lot of paper and ink." This is the first of their stuff I have tried. 

I know its not what you asked, but you could always print out a month at a time, and do the reader and daily poetry book on the computer. That's what we're doing and it ends up not being too much. My kids really love the program, which surprised me, but what works works. It really is beautifully laid out.

• Like 1

I wish that TGTB would allow people to at least put in a preorder.  Then you would get autoshipped.  I like the print a month at a time idea.  A lot of the readers and support materials are not out of stock, so you could pick up those as a hard copy while you wait for the course book.  

• Like 1
On 7/24/2020 at 10:59 PM, JoyKM said:

I wish that TGTB would allow people to at least put in a preorder.  Then you would get autoshipped.  I like the print a month at a time idea.  A lot of the readers and support materials are not out of stock, so you could pick up those as a hard copy while you wait for the course book.  

Yes! They won’t preorder or notify when it’s in stock. I showed DD8 a couple other programs but she really really loves what she’s seen of TGTB. It fits her perfectly.

I am just going to print out the worksheets in black and white and the rest we can see on the computer, until things are back in stock. Frustrating to be sure.

On 7/24/2020 at 1:43 PM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Simply Charlotte Mason has excellent picture study packets. I don't know if that would suffice? They're very nice quality and the perfect amount of background info. 

I really like these packets!  This year I kept art appreciation simple with some "Come Look With Me" books.  How do you use the packets, and what age do you think they work best for?  ETA:  We are doing Story of the World, so these look like they might be easy to integrate with a timeline approach.  I'd also like to do composer studies but thought those lent themselves to later SOTW volumes as well.  We have been doing ancient or folk music right now.

Edited by JoyKM
Just now, JoyKM said:

I really like these packets!  This year I kept art appreciation simple with some "Come Look With Me" books.  How do you use the packets, and what age do you think they work best for?

I've used them with all of my kids over the last two years, from when my youngest was 5 or 6, all the way to my high schooler, so I think any age. . It's part of our "couch school" (I'm not organized enough to use the term Morning Time) so I will pick one of the pictures, set it out, read a little of the Guide to the younger two, and when she was still in school, I'd then hand it to my oldest so she could read the whole thing.  It can get a bit wordy for little kids. We talk about the picture, and sometimes compare it to the others in the packet. Then if I'm on my game, we do two drawings during the week. The first time with the picture in front of us. Then at the end of the week I take the picture down and we try and do it without. That's always the most entertaining part. 

I don't stick to terms or any AO type of sequence/order. I just pull out what looks interesting.  I have tried to bring as much art and art history into my homeschool as possible, so I intersperse these packets with art books I am collecting where we mainly look at the pictures and discuss. Having the large prints from the Portrait Studies  is awesome though. The quality is so good for the price. 

• Like 1

Masterbooks is similar in look at TGTB, but no where near as in depth nor do I feel like the quality is there. I did find that TGTB comes in to stock pretty quickly and they just hired tons of new staff. If I were you, I would just use the free PDFs from online until you can order a hard copy. Also, I bought the reader books used, I did not buy them from TGTB. If you don't want to use the free PDFs, just use this time while you wait to read a bunch and do your own thing.

Also, did you do the placement exam? My daughter was in a rigorous classical education school and yet, for third grade, she is in level 2. We did start mid year, but I think it is possible that level 2 would have been appropriate.

When we used TGTB I bought a $40 printer at walmart and got a free month of Instant Ink subscription. It came with only 300 pages I think, but I messaged them to ask if I could pay for an upgrade and they gave me one for free. So I printed it all for the cost of paper and the printer, and then still had a printer at the end of it. 

• Like 2