Menu

Shormann / DIVE Biology?

The in person biology class that I was counting on for the upcoming school year fell through, so I am trying to find a replacement.  I can teach my kids anything, except science.  That's not on the table.  I can  of course supervise labs, I just can't teach the whole thing.  I have triplets who are going into 9th grade.  The boy is very mathy and hopes to get into the state's governor's school for science and math his 11th & 12th grade years, so I need a biology that will prepare him for that.  The girls are less mathy and not super enthusiastic about biology.  Thoughts about Shormann / DIVE biology?  It looks great, but I am not finding very many reviews.  Other good options?  

• Like 1

We used Shormann/DIVE Biology and Chemistry!  We loved them both!  DIVE is very interesting, easy to use and offers high level thinking.  And if you should have any questions just give Mr. Shormann a call he is very kind and helpful.  

• Like 1

I've used DIVE biology with 2 kids so far (the DVD lectures, I have no experience with the streaming he currently has available), and am planning on using parts of it for another child this year.  It has worked well for us.  It is slightly dry, but we added NOVA videos and other outside reading to keep it more interesting for my humanities lovers. It was very good for us since I am not science minded and need to put my energy into the subjects I can actually teach well at a high school level. 🙂 We used the Miller Levine bio text and the BJU biology text with it.  I liked the fact that I had access to tests, quizzes, (with answer keys!) and labs. 

Here are a few threads on it:

https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/575089-need-opinions-on-dive-science/

https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/642097-9th-grade-science-and-math-panic-and-angst-need-suggestions/

• Like 1

I have used DIVE biology with 3 kids so far and will be using it again this year with my 4th. It is one of the few things I have used for every child! It is a very solid program, and it does a nice job of covering the material as well as providing labs and quizzes and tests. We have used it primarily with the BJU biology text, but we have also used Miller Levine for a few of the topics. For the kids I have used it with, one later took Anatomy & Physiology and went on to get a nursing degree (BSN), one went on to get a BS in math, and one is currently in college in a humanities field. It honestly was a good fit for all of them for different reasons, and they each felt that they were well prepared for whatever came next for them academically. I would highly recommend the program!