Menu

Oak Meadow World Religions

^^ Thank you! I have the DK book but will look into the Nat'l Geographic one as well. I've secured A Concise Introduction to World Religions which has a workbook available but for the same price I could have the Oak Meadow book...just not sure which one I want. And I've found that having a workbook with assignments and scope/sequence helps keep us on track better. I'm also eyeing Harvard's syllabus...so many options!

• Like 1

My oldest used it a couple years ago. She used the recommended text and the guide as written, iirc. It was pretty hands off for me, I would look over her written answers and discuss them. I didn't worry too much about correcting anything. My dd enjoyed it and felt like she learned a lot.

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2020 at 9:54 PM, Momto6inIN said:

I just saw this post - this looks super interesting! Can you share more about how your DD used the books - did she correlate them together somehow, or just do one after the other? Did she write essays or do projects? Basically, how were these turned into a course?

Thank you!

4 hours ago, ondreeuh said:

I just saw this post - this looks super interesting! Can you share more about how your DD used the books - did she correlate them together somehow, or just do one after the other? Did she write essays or do projects? Basically, how were these turned into a course?

Thank you!

She read sections from them as we studied differemt parts of the world. So for example if she was reading about Asia in the NG book, she was also reading about Confucianism and Shintoism in the World Religions book. For each religion I found a packet of worksheets online to take notes of basic information on each one. I also assigned a novel or biography to represent each region. Cry the Beloved Country for Africa, Mao's Last Dancer for Asia, I Am Malala for the Middle East, Between Shades of Gray for Europe, The Queen of Water for South America, and Kon Tiki for Oceania. We had a discussion after each region of the world.

At the end of the course she wrote a compare/contrast essay about the 2 religions she found most interesting. That was the only written output other than the notes she took.

Hope that helps! This was one of my DD's favorite courses! 🙂

• Like 2