Menu

dr hive - metformin?

gardenmom5

what info does the hive have?

my dr wants to put me on it.  (lowest dose - mostly to see how I tolerate it, and increase if I do.)  dh has a lot of clients on it, so he has requested I ask dd so I've sent her off a query too.

30 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Thank you.  My dd was up late when I texted her, so she gave me the medical perspective, but I appreciate the perspective of those who have used it.

Would you mind sharing the medical perspective with us if it's not too personal?

It's a frontline diabetes/pre-diabetes med. As others have said, the biggest side effect is the GI upset. I would say it's worth a shot though because it's highly effective, long-established, and inexpensive. It's the type of med that if you can make it past any GI side effects, you can safely be on for decades without a lot of problems.

2 hours ago, Myra said:

Would you mind sharing the medical perspective with us if it's not too personal?

This is what she wrote.  I cut out anything personal.  so, not much.

~~~

It's a very useful drug that's been around for a long time. Avoid use in poor renal function (cleared by the kidneys). Shouldn't be very expensive, 

once a person gets up to ~2,000 mg per day is when they start adding other drugs with it that work via different mechanisms (to get the cumulative effect). It's probably the best choice for initial therapy out there (except for people with renal issues) and I give my full support 😁

~~

so, I guess not much generic.