Menu

How far did you get with WTM Grammar?

Curious how far you all got with Grammar for the Well Trained Mind. I know the intro says not to feel bad if you don't finish the first time through. Did anyone actually finish it?

(I'm planning on starting this year with a 6th and 7th grader.)

I like to set some tentative goals for where I want to be by such and such date for accountability, planning, and analysis purposes. Trying to decide what's practical for us this year at least for a goal. My kids have not had a rigorous grammar curricula for years, but they are very solid on the basics.

Wish they would put this video & the chart front and center on the Intermediate Grammar page.  I've been there many many times to look at the curriculum and never saw this. Exactly what I was needing. Thanks! 

• Like 3

I’m with you 100%. I didn’t find this pacing guide until after our first pass through of the first 16 weeks. We’ve been through weeks 1-15 three times over 3 semesters.  Starting 7th grade this year and will move through 16-21 three times before moving on to the later chapters. The intensity definitely picks up as you progress.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Domiche said:

I’m with you 100%. I didn’t find this pacing guide until after our first pass through of the first 16 weeks. We’ve been through weeks 1-15 three times over 3 semesters.  Starting 7th grade this year and will move through 16-21 three times before moving on to the later chapters. The intensity definitely picks up as you progress.

I didn't find it until after we completed the first book!!  😃

I had never seen that chart! We are doing the purple book over 2 years (6-7th) with DD. She does two lessons per week. She seems to be retaining the concepts. I may have her do one more book next year to solidify the concepts, then stop formal grammar. 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 3:47 PM, Domiche said:

The attached link breaks down SWB’s Recco on how to move through sections of the curriculum repeatedly. 
https://welltrainedmind.com/a/how-to-use-grammar-for-the-well-trained-mind-with-your-student/?v=7516fd43adaa

Thanks so much for this!  My boys are going to be at either end of the given range this next year, and SWB's advice for how to skim if the child knows the material + the linked chart are so incredibly helpful.